Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coming Soon New Micrometer Adjustable Reamer Stop II

I made a simple collar

for my Rimfire Reamer and once I got the depth I wanted, locked it on the reamer and it's there for the duration. I don't see the need for a Micrometer arrangement, personally but I only do my own barrels and don't need to deviate.

Pete

The advantage to the adjustable stop, is in being able to hit the dimension you want easily and repeat it. Unlike a fixed stop, for the first chamber, you set the adjustable stop to give you a short chamber. Then measure the HS and see how may thou you need to go deeper. Dial that amount on to stop and cut o finished depth. Yu can move tailstock, carriage, etc. without it affecting your readings. No DRO or indicator needed either.

A fixed stop has worked for me by setting it after taking out the last couple thou. Tighten collar on before removing reamer.

When resetting the tailstock, I leave the tailstock loose then dial tailstock till reamer touches chamber and I get a zero reading thus moving the tailstock back. Lock in tailstock and itís set to zero.

Either way, these micro stops are very nice looking.
    Last edited by Mram10; 05-22-2019 at 09:32 AM.

I can see

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    A fixed stop has worked for me by setting it after taking out the last couple thou. Tighten collar on before removing reamer.

When resetting the tailstock, I leave the tailstock loose then dial tailstock till reamer touches chamber and I get a zero reading thus moving the tailstock back. Lock in tailstock and itís set to zero.

Either way, these micro stops are very nice looking.
    for those who do a lot of barrels but I have one reamer for each chamber I make so every one is going to be the same. Adjust the shoulder if it's too long but it never is.

Pete