Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Cartridge opinions?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fresno
    Posts
    5,543

    Cartridge opinions?

    In the region of 1-600 yards, which cartridge/bullet combination do you think is the easiest to tune up and shoot small with? I was thinking of a cut rifled, 8" twist 6BR barrel. about 27" long, LV contour, with some sort of tuner brake, on a benchrest stock.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Malvern, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,763
    6br with a barts 105 around 29-30" 8tw

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW.Pa.
    Posts
    903
    Boyd, Go with a Dasher with a 28" HV. 7.75 twist……… A 6 BR can not keep up with the conditions all the time. Bullets…. 103, 104, 105 and 106 pretty much covers it……… jim
    Last edited by jim1K; 12-11-2015 at 11:39 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    S.W. Virginia
    Posts
    158
    27" 6 Dasher barrel and what ever bullet the barrel likes . Right now mine like the 105 Barts BT and a couple 108 Berger BT lot #'s. I just could never keep a 6 BR in tune.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    131

    Red face You gotta go with the new

    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Allen View Post
    In the region of 1-600 yards, which cartridge/bullet combination do you think is the easiest to tune up and shoot small with? I was thinking of a cut rifled, 8" twist 6BR barrel. about 27" long, LV contour, with some sort of tuner brake, on a benchrest stock.
    30 - 416 cheytec I am sure that you could get at least 6k fps. Ha.....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    46
    I don't know Boyd,

    But I get beat often by a certain guy at Sacramento with his old 6BR and my 6BRX shoots pretty good!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,971
    6X47L, it's All That and the easiest one too.....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Allen View Post
    In the region of 1-600 yards, which cartridge/bullet combination do you think is the easiest to tune up and shoot small with? I was thinking of a cut rifled, 8" twist 6BR barrel. about 27" long, LV contour, with some sort of tuner brake, on a benchrest stock.
    Hi Boyd! I guess I would decide if the schedule is weighted more toward the 100 or the 600 yard ranges to be shot. I strongly beieve in building a gun that is the best it can be at one thing. 100-600 is a wide range to expect any setup to be at it best at, at all of it.

    A few years back I built a 10 twist 6br that did very well at various yardages using 87 bergers and 95 bibs. I even won a 100 yard score match in trigger pulling conditions with it. We all know that's not supposed to happen

    IMHO, accuracy trumps all else out to 400-500 yards. After that, bc becomes more and more of a factor. I think that if conditions are good, that setup would shoot with anything at 600 yards. In bad conditions, I'll take bc and a little luck, with a fast twist 6br, dasher, brx or even 6x47@600. Stretch it out to 1000 in bad conditions...I want the best possible bc, good speed, and a whole lot of good luck..as well as a good shooting rifle..but it doesn't have to be a GREAT shooting rifle at that distance in bad conditions...but you do have to have some good luck, regardless. The rifle just becomes less critical.. JMO...I'm thinking you already have a good idea about what will work for you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW.Pa.
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    Hi Boyd! I guess I would decide if the schedule is weighted more toward the 100 or the 600 yard ranges to be shot. I strongly beieve in building a gun that is the best it can be at one thing. 100-600 is a wide range to expect any setup to be at it best at, at all of it.

    A few years back I built a 10 twist 6br that did very well at various yardages using 87 bergers and 95 bibs. I even won a 100 yard score match in trigger pulling conditions with it. We all know that's not supposed to happen

    IMHO, accuracy trumps all else out to 400-500 yards. After that, bc becomes more and more of a factor. I think that if conditions are good, that setup would shoot with anything at 600 yards. In bad conditions, I'll take bc and a little luck, with a fast twist 6br, dasher, brx or even 6x47@600. Stretch it out to 1000 in bad conditions...I want the best possible bc, good speed, and a whole lot of good luck..as well as a good shooting rifle..but it doesn't have to be a GREAT shooting rifle at that distance in bad conditions...but you do have to have some good luck, regardless. The rifle just becomes less critical.. JMO...I'm thinking you already have a good idea about what will work for you.






















    let me get this right, less accurate rifles need for long range than short? 300 yd. short range records are .7 and .8 range and a Dasher record at 600 is.336. Some how i'm missing something here ……. jim

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,299
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1K View Post
    let me get this right, less accurate rifles need for long range than short? 300 yd. short range records are .7 and .8 range and a Dasher record at 600 is.336. Some how i'm missing something here ……. jim
    Yes Jim, you missed where I said " in bad conditions." We surely can agree that scores and aggs get worse in tough conditions. We've all got "teen" or "zero" rifles in perfect conditions, so at what point does having a "teen or zero" rifle get beaten by a solid .250 gun? My point wasn't debatable really. Everyone knows that the best gun doesn't ALWAY win, particularly when conditions are bad. And where did you get your incorrect information about 300 yard record groups being that big? It took about 10 seconds to go to the IBS site for records. http://internationalbenchrest.com/re...roup/index.php

    My post had nothing to do with long range cartridges not being able to shoot small. Get the chip off of your shoulder. It's Christmas time.
    Last edited by mwezell; 12-27-2015 at 03:18 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW.Pa.
    Posts
    903
    Your right, i read meters records and they are big. I didn't know you shot long range? …. jim

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,299
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1K View Post
    Your right, i read meters records and they are big. I didn't know you shot long range? …. jim
    Jim, I don't shoot registered long range...or haven't. That's not to say I don't shoot long range. I'm fortunate enough to have the land to shoot long and short range on for testing or fun. I have been a regular in registered short range score matches for several years. I'm the type of person that will shoot whatever is closest by. In my case, there are several 100-300 yard ranges that hold score matches that are under 4 hrs away. A couple of years back, there were two under 1 hour. The closest group is 5 hrs and the closest long range is about the same...maybe a little over 4 hours to oak ridge and 5 to st. Louis.
    Last edited by mwezell; 12-27-2015 at 06:34 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW.Pa.
    Posts
    903
    Mike, my point is when you have 10- 15 guys on the line and regardless of the condition you get a better feel for what it takes to win. There is no going back to the sighter target on a condition change, you have to rely on what you zeroed in on to put you in the middle and barrel good enough to shoot through small pickups and let offs. In totally bad conditions were most are DQ ing. it still takes a good barrel and your ability to average the conditions to stay on the paper, no luck involved, to that point. Luck is when you have a gun problem and you bring one up dial it in from what you had on the other one and place with no sighters… LOL….. jim

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Oswego, New York
    Posts
    1,097
    Boyd, I'm going to give the BB gun, as I call them. The 6mm Dasher! Has really made an impression on me. I'm shooting twice the bullet out of my 300 WSM but those little buggers seem to sometimes just squeak my out. Not all the time. The other thing you have to consider, there's a lot of bullet makers out there that have been making some damn nice bullets in 6mm.

    Joe Salt

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    kalispell, mt
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Salt View Post
    Boyd, I'm going to give the BB gun, as I call them. The 6mm Dasher! Has really made an impression on me. I'm shooting twice the bullet out of my 300 WSM but those little buggers seem to sometimes just squeak my out. Not all the time. The other thing you have to consider, there's a lot of bullet makers out there that have been making some damn nice bullets in 6mm.

    Joe Salt

    Better late than never Joe!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •