Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Benchrest History Thread

1976 Nationals at Austin,TX

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Glenn

At that match where heavy rains had washed away a portion of the firing line in the week or weekend before the match. Still have a copy of those results kicking around somewhere.

As promised, here's Neal Knox's article on the Mac McMillan 0.009" from 1973:

-Lee
    www.singleactions.com

Nice Group!

Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    [/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Glenn
    Glenn,

Is there another page to the Heavy Varmint equipment list? If you have it, could you post a picture of it. I may own a rifle shot in that match, but I don't see the shooter's name on the pictured list.

Thanks,
    Justin

Match Results

Justin...i have more HV results,but no HV equipment lists. I'll post what I could find in the other classes. Maybe your guy is amongst the other legends.

com/user/chismpi/media/DSC00042.jpg.html][/URL]

Glenn,

Thanks. Found his name but equipment used was "not available".

Man...there are some names on those lists.

Justin

Thumbs up First Match

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    I had a Remington, 40XBR, 6X47. Didn't compete with it and ended up trading it for some pistols. It would shoot good enough to win one day and lousy the next. I never shot competition with it but rather looking back at the group measurements, it was a pretty good rifle. I think that was the general consensus all said and done - shoot good one day and miserable the next. I found 300 Malsby (I think it was) bullets at a hardware store. Didn't know at the time what they were and they shot lights out. Pretty sure those bullets and that rifle were the ultimately the cause of this forum.

Sadly, I drove 75 miles to Knoxville with that 6X47 and some worn out cases to shoot the nationals. Don't remember what else I had in the trunk but it wasn't NEARLY enough to shoot. The range gate was locked and they had some heavy equipment that was tearing everything up. I walked up to a couple of guys there and asked where the nationals were and they said...not here! OK - so much for the info in PS magazine! I looked all over Knoxville that same day for Jef Fowler and finally found him in a new looking building on a road under heavy construction. Jef treated me like I had two heads but sold me some Watson bullets...500 68gr and 500 70gr. I think that's all he had in the whole place but maybe didn't see something that was hidden behind an invisible wall. I finally forgave him for the 70gr bullets but maybe I just forgot rather than forgave. I've often wondered....why did Ed Watson make those 70gr bullets???

And...who was that fellow that brought Benchrest shooting back to Knoxville for a couple of years. Was a really nice fellow that had a jealous wife (and rightfully so)! Doug something...I think...maybe not...
    My first match::: 1986 Buccaneer Club,, S.E. of Wilmington N.C. I had 30 cartridges,, factory 40 X BR,,20" bbl,, in cal. 6mm BR.. This rifle belonged to a friend who talked me into shooting We showed up @ the range w/rifle ,, 30 shells,, no bags , no rest.. Wilton and Don Sloop provided a rest and rear bag.. We Made the 6br shells for full length Br brass (308 w/small primer)
    Some of the bullets were tight, and some you could easily remove by just pulling them out w/fingers. I was one of those (wind won't move a bullet in flight,types) At the home range ther rifle would produce small .2's and some 1's.. During the match,, I shot two back to back .198"s and was 1st place going into 4th target.. The rifle produced , if I remember correctly,, a .281 on forth target.. I would shoot one sighter in the middle of the sighter target,,, (because Joe told me to) never looked @ flags and didn't know what they were telling me if I had.. Shot a 2 hole 5tenths group on 5th target. Looking back,, the little 6 BR was an exceptional factory rifle and could have won a match w/the aggs back in 1986. He later put a Mcmillan stock on this rifle . His wife got 3rd place @ Columbia the next year.. Rem. rifle and Rem. barrel.
    And ,, Cook & bottle washer,, I remember Doug,,, and will produce his last name as soon as I think of it.. I think he lived over near Strawberry Plains ,, E. Knoxville. Last time I saw him was @ Kettlefoot.

Question Wilbur

Wilbur,,, was it Doug Hubbard?

Can you imagine the sounds of those early 1970's matched of full length 308 Winchesters being shot with the 222 Remington cartridges? Pop, pop, boom!

Smile Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    Can you imagine the sounds of those early 1970's matched of full length 308 Winchesters being shot with the 222 Remington cartridges? Pop, pop, boom!

We use to shoot w/Nat Burchett.. He shot a .308 rail gun.. It was always a pleasure to get beside Nat , in a 10 shot unlimited match.

Nat showed up at a match one time with his 22cal sporter rifle. James Messer mentioned that the sporter class was 6mm or greater and Nat said...loudly..."When in the hell did they start that?" James just blinked a second or two knowing (just then knowing) that Nat had been shooting a 22 in sporter class all along. Nat said everything loudly as he couldn't hear very well.

Nat had some kind of wagon he pulled along that had everything you needed to shoot, clean and fix most anything. I don't think you could build a fire in it....but maybe... If you needed something, you went to Nat.

Yep...Doug Hubbard it was - Thanks Tommy! I remember going to his house once or twice and you're right about that as well.

I have a Frank Hubbard and a Merlin Hubbard, but no Doug
    Bill

On the 1976 list

What is the 23x45?

I know they used a 6mmx45 and several 222 variants. I've never heard of the 23x45