Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Benchrest History Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    I'm sorry I missed your replay. Email you address as I haven't found it.
    Butch
    PM sent. Thanks Butch.

-Lee
    www.singleactions.com

I was going through a filing cabinet that belonged to my grandfather over the weekend and it was like opening a time capsule. Among the many first edition loading manuals, P.O Ackley cartridge manuals, and file folders containing targets shot over the years I found several articles saved. One that stood out to me was an article on benchrest Shooting from 1966. I found it to be very interested and apparently so did he as he highlighted many portions. Finding all this reminds me, were it not for the things and history he left behind I wouldn’t be were I am today. I would not have been able to take part in such a great sport and meet all of the wonderful people I have especially at the age of 20. I hope this can inspire others to take part in the sport and be a part of the rich history that we share.

Sometimes I wonder how many of us will be around when I get to the general age of competitors...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C7506837-5EE9-4152-B51B-D33C0F567AE4.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	23077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	206213AB-5E90-400B-8755-069F202E00AE.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	23078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40BE279A-C0A2-4480-8F45-0DE8AA2246BA.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	23079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E816DCC1-59AC-4987-AE59-7ABF69F9AA6B.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.66 MB 
ID:	23080  
    Last edited by .22 ppc; 11-05-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by .22 ppc View Post
    I was going through a filing cabinet that belonged to my grandfather over the weekend and it was like opening a time capsule....One that stood out to me was an article on benchrest Shooting from 1966. I found it to be very interested and apparently so did he as he highlighted many portions.
    Thanks for sharing; I enjoyed reading your grandfather's highlights. I didn't see much ear protection in those pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Thanks for sharing; I enjoyed reading your grandfather's highlights. I didn't see much ear protection in those pictures.

I clearly remember reading this article. It was in the American Rifleman magazine. I was 23 at the time and just about to graduate from college. I had always loved to shoot, and had a Rem 722 in 222 by the time I was 18.

It was 1969 before I finally found BR shooting in my area, and was hooked. I shot a Cruiser in UNL with the first action I ever made. I came in dead last but I was hooked. I've made 10 more actions since that first one.

I eventually got to know L.E. Wilson, we called him Sam.
    In 1970 he invited me up to his shop for the full tour. The highlight was his loading/shooting room. He actually had a 100yd tunnel out of the loading room to test just about anything he was interested in; barrels, bullets rifles and so on.

Sam passed in 1984, but still holds a special place in my memory. Around 1971, at a match at the old Issaquah range, out of the blue Sam walks up to me, looks me straight in the eye and says "Al Weber's stuff is for sale down in California, a good man would go down and buy it", turned and walked away. At first I wasn't sure what he meant until it dawned on me, he meant me. I was really humbled.

Here I am 50 years later still hooked on BR.

FWIW
    Steve Kostanich