Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in the rain

As I wrote earlier, the probability of your bullet striking a rain drop is fairly slim. That statement is not of my own thoughts, but rather the result of some fairly exhaustive mathematics. If you shoot enough in the rain you're gonna hit a rain drop and the result is not likeable.

I'll say this and quit writing (yeah, really Wilbur), the probability of your bullet hitting a rain drop is fairly slim even in a moderate rain, but there is nothing physical involved - just the bullet being in the same place as a rain drop at the same time.

I've seen bullets hit rain drops. The impact vaporizes the rain drop. The impact on the target is usually no where near your group.

Some people call em "Rain Shots".

Glenn

We have a shooter out here on the West Coast that is famous for hitting the very first drop of rain to fall! Just ask him if a "rain shot" is real.

I have always had some difficulty believing hitting a rain drop was likely to happen, but a few years back at the Pennsylvania state championship at York I became a believer. It was raining buckets and really coming down hard, one of the wettest shoots I ever attended in 30+ years. Several very good shooters had some terrible shots, 2 and 3 rings unexpectedly. I know of no other plausible explanation but "Rain Shots".
    Dick

Thanks people.

Why I asked the question was that at a local club comp (.22RF, 100m) a few of the local 'hot shots' had unexplained flyers when a heavy shower came by. I commented that maybe a raindrop or two was impacted (.22 target ammo is sub-sonic btw, my Eley Tenex batch is 1062 fps).

I waited until the shower passed and managed to do ok. (1971 Anschutz M54).

As for the supersonic pressure wave, if anything deforms it, would not the resultant shock be passed back to the projectile and thus affect it?

Just curious so thought that I might ask the gurus.

* doghunter *

If the rain drop doesn't hit the bullet, then how do you explain the "clean" bullet hole? All the others have a black ring and that one doesn't....just a hole in the paper far away from the group.

Its that damn wind.... I KNOW it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    If the rain drop doesn't hit the bullet, then how do you explain the "clean" bullet hole? All the others have a black ring and that one doesn't....just a hole in the paper far away from the group.
    Interesting that the errant hole is clean. I hadn't noticed this. Will have to look for it next time. Sure seems indicative of water on the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by doghunter View Post
    As for the supersonic pressure wave, if anything deforms it, would not the resultant shock be passed back to the projectile and thus affect it?
    * doghunter *
    Yes, that is logical, but the truth is that the Mach wave is not a magical brick wall that nothing can get through. If this were the case, then when you shoot a deer, the bullet couldn't penetrate, but only push the deer forward!

The pressure in front of the bullet pushed the rain drop into the target, and then the bullet followed it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    As I wrote earlier, the probability of your bullet striking a rain drop is fairly slim. That statement is not of my own thoughts, but rather the result of some fairly exhaustive mathematics. If you shoot enough in the rain you're gonna hit a rain drop and the result is not likeable.

I'll say this and quit writing (yeah, really Wilbur), the probability of your bullet hitting a rain drop is fairly slim even in a moderate rain, but there is nothing physical involved - just the bullet being in the same place as a rain drop at the same time.
    On the other hand, in a heavy rain (I did the calculations for a 1" per hour rain) chances are that every bullet strikes multiple raindrops. This is what I found interesting at the Buckcreek match several years ago, instead of an errant shot once in a while, every shot was pushed in the same direction. What I think this shows is that in a light rain, you may hit a drop once out of several shots, pushing that shot far from the group, but for a heavy rain, each bullet is struck so many times that the POI becomes consistent again, but much different from the POI without rain.

I don't believe that's what happens, but each to his own...

Quote Originally Posted by mks View Post
    A common misconception. Air, water, whatever, flows through the Mach wave, which is just a transition in fluid properties, including pressure and density.
    Even air does not flow over a Mach wave.

The Bernoulli equation fails since it assumes a standing pressure wave cannot exist.

Skip the pistol part and go to the answer.

physics.stackexchange.com/.../how-does-a-hollow-point-...
    Last edited by classcat; 10-15-2015 at 06:00 PM.

Cool Some interesting thoughts here..........

How can an "Air Wake" ever be in front of a supersonic bullet? The word "Wake" would denote a phenomenon/disturbance AFT of the bullet.

And, a "Mach Wave" would have to also be aft of a SUPER-sonic bullet, no?

And finally; Can it REALLY be "raining buckets"....and NOT be "coming down hard"???

It was an interesting read, I was just pointing out some amusing statements, when you think about them, 'course, some were pro'bly

made in jest anyway.

I have seen rain on a trap range when its easy to see the passage of shot through a decent rain.

I watched on a fairly calm day, a .17 travel downrange numerous times and generate a disturbance that tapered in an arrowhead-like manner

behind it, all the way out to 300yds; And I wondered if, at the area just aft of the bullet, that disturbance wouldn't alter the pattern of the rain if

a rain would intrude in this area during a storm.

Fascinating experiences, though, thanks for the info.