Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shooting in the rain

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    Not that I don't lose track a lot but.....are y'all saying that a bullet will or will not strike a rain drop?

If y'all have moved on to something different just ignore this post...please sirs.
    Wilbur,
    I'm saying that a bullet CAN hit a rain drop, because air and water pass through the shock wave that surrounds the front of the bullet.

Keith

Is there anybody that believes a bullet in flight can't contact a rain drop?

I think some will and some won't. Obvious. ..I know..but what I mean is that a direct hit will wet the bullet and a glancing blow may not. We've probably all seen a bird miss our windshield and many of us have bugshields...they don't all get blown off but greatly reduce the mess. I'm thinking that bullets and rain drops are the same way. Now, if that's true, does a drop that never physically touches the bullet but does the shock wave, affect bullet flight?

I do like guys who test stuff

https://youtu.be/UusiTSu1tSU

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post

Not the same as rain but shows what happens when bullets hit water...and that bullets will hit water. What the problem here is that a rain drop has got to be in the same place as the bullet at the same time. Given that bullets travel pretty fast it has to rain pretty hard for a bullet to be guaranteed to hit a drop. In fact, the probability is somewhat unbelievable. I surely wish I had kept those "figures" - but I didn't and the fellow that did the figuring is gone forever.

Shooting when its raining

When shooting in the rain. Whatís the possibility of bullets hitting multiple rain drops on the way to the target? That possibility increasing with distance from muzzle to target and the rate of rain fall. Iím thinking that a bullet in flight to a target,when its raining, encounters a gauntlet of rain drops. Each succeeding impact ,with a rain drop ,affecting the flight of the bullet. Its amazing that the bullet impacts anywhere near where you aim. Sometimes,it doesn't.

Wind flags donít help much when youíre shooting in the rain. At least thatís been my experience.

Glenn

Can we be sure

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post

that rifle was capable of shooting inside a pie plate @ 300 in the first place?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    I think some will and some won't. Obvious. ..I know..but what I mean is that a direct hit will wet the bullet and a glancing blow may not. We've probably all seen a bird miss our windshield and many of us have bugshields...they don't all get blown off but greatly reduce the mess. I'm thinking that bullets and rain drops are the same way. Now, if that's true, does a drop that never physically touches the bullet but does the shock wave, affect bullet flight?
    I don't know for sure but I don't think so. Just going with what I've seen on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    Whatís the possibility of bullets hitting multiple rain drops on the way to the target?
    Glenn
    I went back and looked at my estimate from 2009 and found that one of my assumptions was probably too large. A better scale for the diameter of the circle of bullet/raindrop strikes should be one bullet diameter and two raindrop diameters. With this new assumption, I get 2.83 strikes for a 30 cal bullet, and 2.14 strikes for a 6 mm bullet, over 200 yards in a 1" per hour rain.

Wilbur, your calculations may be more sophisticated than mine. Mine only took five lines.

At 1" per hour, the volume fraction of rain in the air is only one in a million, so if we were riding along on the bullet, we would see mostly air. But a real downpour, like the one at Buckcreek, could be much heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    ... does a drop that never physically touches the bullet but does the shock wave, affect bullet flight?
    Sure, it does. Think of an F-16 passing at supersonic speed an inch over the top of your truck. Both would feel the effect, even though they didn't touch.

Quote Originally Posted by mks View Post
    Sure, it does. Think of an F-16 passing at supersonic speed an inch over the top of your truck. Both would feel the effect, even though they didn't touch.
    I was thinking the same, Keith. That said, there must be some effect of pushing rain drops away, albeit, not necessarily a direct hit on one..or a wall of water such as coming off of a roof with no gutter.