Thread: 6BR for Varmints

6BR for Varmints

I am interested in building a 6BR for punching paper and varmints. I must admit to having less opportunity to shoot varmints and don't have access to much over 100yds at my farm for sighting in. I used to shoot varmints regularly and shot over 300yds at a range before it went under. My hope is to find another range and get back into busting groundhogs. my worn 22/250 Remington was a lot of fun but want something more. I have tossed over a 22/250AI and the 6BR but so far lean to the 6BR. I have a new Bobby Hart Laminated stock and ready to rebarrel. I want the no-turn neck for simplicity but would like some input on twist/bullet weight that would best suit the needs of a varminteer not a 1000yard bench rest. Thank you in advance.

farmer,

I shoot a 6BR at 100 yards for VFS. I'm using a 24-inch finished length barrel. I shoot 65/68 grain Barts boat tails in a .266 neck chamber. I'm loading 29.4 grains of LT-32 with a CCI BR-4 primer. I get about 3300 +/-FPS and it is very accurate. You'll want to reduce that load a bit to start, but the 6BR is great to load for. HTH

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Remfarmer View Post
    I am interested in building a 6BR for punching paper and varmints.
    The 6 BR sounds like a very good choice for your intentions. A 13 or 14 twist barrel would be ideal for the lighter 60-70gr bullets out t0 300-400 yards. If you want to shoot the 90-110gr vld's at longer yardages go with an 8 twist.
    Dick

If its gonna be a single shot go with the 6br. If you need a repeater go with something else

I am interested in building a 6BR for punching paper and varmints. I must admit to having less opportunity to shoot varmints and don't have access to much over 100yds at my farm for sighting in. I used to shoot varmints regularly and shot over 300yds at a range before it went under. My hope is to find another range and get back into busting groundhogs. my worn 22/250 Remington was a lot of fun but want something more. I have tossed over a 22/250AI and the 6BR but so far lean to the 6BR. I have a new Bobby Hart Laminated stock and ready to rebarrel. I want the no-turn neck for simplicity but would like some input on twist/bullet weight that would best suit the needs of a varminteer not a 1000yard bench rest. Thank you in advance.
    I am in the process now of building a 6BR switch barrel/stock for varmints and paper. I have had a trued Savage target action with a 2 oz trigger sitting in a box for about 3 years now and decided to do something with it. I have a varmint stock with a 25 1/4 Krieger 8 twist in a #4 contour that I am bedding now.

Next will be a heavy Pac-Nor 28 inch and BR stock for paper. I know that many people have little interest in Savage actions, but I really like them.

I have a 272 no turn neck reamer from PTG and will be shooting 105-108 grain bullets -- lotta wind here in the desert.

Go 8 twist and zero freebore. Start off with 50s and go heavier as the throat wears, and it will. Plan on taking another rifle when you take the 6 BR. The 6 BR gets real boring in short order when they're all going in the same hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    Go 8 twist and zero freebore. Start off with 50s and go heavier as the throat wears, and it will. Plan on taking another rifle when you take the 6 BR. The 6 BR gets real boring in short order when they're all going in the same hole.
    That's what she said, too...

I love the 6BR, 1-8" twist barrel 95gr Berger VLD's along with either RL-15 or Varget.

6br

I have a 6br with .271 ND with a 1-14 twist built by Dan Dowling. I use AA 2230 with Hornady 58 Vmax and get 3500fps.

DAN DOWLING...
    That would be the "d" in dasher...

Quote Originally Posted by dbaird View Post
    I have a 6br with .271 ND with a 1-14 twist built by Dan Dowling. I use AA 2230 with Hornady 58 Vmax and get 3500fps.

Next will be a heavy Pac-Nor 28 inch and BR stock for paper. I know that many people have little interest in Savage actions, but I really like them.
    I've got a 22 BR on a Savage action. Very accurate but the bolt lift stinks. There are some who can decrease, but I could never bring myself to invest much in it. Tried a "bolt lift kit" which consists of a dimpled piece of metal in which a BB type bearing is placed. Could tell no noticeable difference. Took it out.

Several years ago I had a factory .223 at the range. A fellow with a new "higher quality" brand could not believe his would not shoot as well as the Savage. In all fairness, he was probably in the early stage of load development.

12 twist for 80 gr and 14t for 68 and under.