Thread: H4198- Scotland

Question H4198- Scotland

Hello fellow shooters I have a question on powder.I picked up a pound of H-4198 and after inspection found that it was made in Scotland can anyone enlighten me as to whether this is close to the new stuff from Australia and does it have the same burn rate. Any info on this powder would be greatly appreciated

All jugs have differing burn rates therefore all loads should start low and work up. When that runs out do it all over again

H 4198- scotland

That sounds like the old powder that was made there It may be hotter maybe not.
    I remember the H322 that was made there and it was hot and clean burning.
    hope this helps

I'm not familiar with Scottish 4198 but we used to shoot their 322. Damn good stuff but all that changed when the plant burned in the early 1990's. Unless I'm mistaken, your H4198 is 20+ years old (not saying it's bad, just letting you know when I think it was made).

-Lee
    www.singleactions.com

I've got most of an 8# jug left of the Scottish H4198. My 30BR likes it. I may still have a pound or two of the Scottish 322. Very good stuff.

Cool H322

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    I've got most of an 8# jug left of the Scottish H4198. My 30BR likes it. I may still have a pound or two of the Scottish 322. Very good stuff.
    Butch,,, gimme that H-322,, you know I need it more than you. Be waiting , besides I have Scottish family tree.

Quote Originally Posted by albie431 View Post
    Hello fellow shooters I have a question on powder.I picked up a pound of H-4198 and after inspection found that it was made in Scotland can anyone enlighten me as to whether this is close to the new stuff from Australia and does it have the same burn rate. Any info on this powder would be greatly appreciated
    Didn't that powder plant blow up years go??

how does the Scottish powder compare as far as weight to the new stuff 34gr = 34gr or is the old powder hotter there by using less powder

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    Didn't that powder plant blow up years go??

Yep. They first had a fire in the 1990's that caused Hodgdon to go elsewhere. Then in 2007 the plant exploded and that was it. For the record the factory was run by ICI Ardeer.

-Lee
    www.singleactions.com

Question Better

Quote Originally Posted by albie431 View Post
    how does the Scottish powder compare as far as weight to the new stuff 34gr = 34gr or is the old powder hotter there by using less powder
    Don't know about hotter,, but I say better...When I first tried the Austr h322,, I would get tite bolt w/same setting on Culver... Never did like the new stuff except in .223