Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's become of "alinwa"?

Wilbur I would think a lot off people read this site but don't post because they don't care to defend how they do things. I find this place invaluable to a person learning. Not so much for someone already figured out how to win. It is the nature of the country now to argue about everything.

IMHO,
    there are rude disrespectful people that disrupt 'DISCUSSIONS".
    some people get tired of their behavior and just go away.

some people cannot ACCEPT an opinion that is different than their opinion, and while they have no facts
    to dispute the original opinion, they just spout off, misdirecting, changing the subject.....because they are rude,
    and apparently because they are 'SHORT RANGE COMPETITIVE SHOOTERS" , their behavior is considered acceptable.
    any non conforming behavior/opinion from a "NON-SHORT RANGE COMPETITIVE SHOOTER" is not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    I'll ask this question while it's still pertinent....I know it will cause trouble of some sort but maybe the problem is within. Think about the question a bit before answering and try not to assume the thoughts of others.

Why have some of the competitive benchrest shooters quit posting?

I think that goes both ways. A short rang guy doesn't want to hear a long range guy telling them they are leaving something on the table if they don't use a $600 scale or anneal brass every firing or other such things. After something is discussed a time or two it turns into an argument where whoever gets the last post in wins. It can turn childish quickly. There are so many ways to skin this Benchrest cat it's amazing. I bet every winner did some things differently than the next winner.

a perfect example of no data, just an opinion

Quote Originally Posted by sdean View Post
    I think that goes both ways. A short rang guy doesn't want to hear a long range guy telling them they are leaving something on the table if they don't use a $600 scale or anneal brass every firing or other such things. After something is discussed a time or two it turns into an argument where whoever gets the last post in wins. It can turn childish quickly. There are so many ways to skin this Benchrest cat it's amazing. I bet every winner did some things differently than the next winner.

It was meant to be an opinion. As far as I know they are allowed on this site. A person can come up with data to support almost anything these days. The way I read post 29 Wilbur was looking for thoughts or opinions.
    You have a good day, That's all from me.
    Last edited by sdean; 07-10-2015 at 05:54 PM.

Bill - I mis-read your post...I read "condensing" as condescending. Could this have been a Freudian slip!?!?
    Wilbur, It was meant to be a complement. You don't see the need to express a thought in three words when two will do.

Bill

You guys remind me of a quote, I don't know from where.
    "All injuries to pride are self inflicted"

Take care, Tom J.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    You've got plenty of people here who'll tell you what to think.....and how to think....

It's dead easy to find people who'll tell you what to think.......
    Nowhere more true than here when political threads mostly comprised the General Discussion forum.

And guess who led the charge?

I think the internet and posts on forums such as this are really hard to judge as to the nature of the content and the character of the poster. I have had the chance to met a lot of the guys on here at matches around the country, and some that came across as a-holes on the forum were really good guys in person and we have become good friends. I try to remember that in not judging a book by it's cover, because if you do, you are wrong most of the time. I try to answer requests for info with my personal experience and I don't claim that is the only way to do it, but it does get old when people ask for help and then want to argue with your advice without giving it a try. I usually will just leave the post rather than beat my head against the wall, I have to do that at my job too much for it too be fun on my time. I try to listen to all the ideas from different people because you never know when they might have a good idea, but take it with a grain of salt and try the ones that make sense. This is my take on it and it's worth exactly what you paid for it, Nothing! have a good day

I'll ask this question while it's still pertinent....I know it will cause trouble of some sort but maybe the problem is within. Think about the question a bit before answering and try not to assume the thoughts of others.

Why have some of the competitive benchrest shooters quit posting?
    Why? IMO, many registered posters don't use their real name..they say someone will get their address...hellsbells, that can be gotten off their mailbox in many cases.

I'm reluctant to reply to someone I don't see their name on match reports, unless they are new posters.
    (remember the poster"Sits In Trees"? I missed seeing him at this years Shamrock or Super Shoot.)

Old CB radio, "10-4 good buddy" syndrome??

Main reason is they get sick of hearing how stupid their methods that win are. Every question they answer with experience is questioned by someone like "sits in trees"

I suspect many of those guys are too busy shooting and tinkering with their guns and equipment to fool with a venue where they're unlikely to learn anything themselves. Thankfully, guys like Bart and Todd Tyler occasionally weigh in with good stuff.

OK, I think y'all are wrong about that real name thing but I'm going to set up a forum where folks either use their real name or say up front who they are. How would y'all suggest I verify the name they are using?

I don't see any real reason in having a discussion about this stuff amongst ourselves....perhaps y'all know something I don't. What will I name the forum?

I'll look around to see what others are doing and mull over suggestions by email:

oldhat30@gmail.com

Tell me how you feel/think it's going to be better when you offer a suggestion please.

hopefully at a match somewhere in the southwest region
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Stevens View Post
    Main reason is they get sick of hearing how stupid their methods that win are. Every question they answer with experience is questioned by someone like "sits in trees"

Ding ding ding....we have a winner!

I used to look at this forum once or twice a day. Now I look at it once a month. I see it coming to once a year very soon.
    As with many, many things in life, a few have ruined it for the majority.
    I Don't need it. Life's too short to deal with all the armchair theorists who have nothing but time and post counts going for them. Hell, at one point not too long ago, I saw that a certain person (who shall remain anonymous) who has attended one match in his life, and came in almost dead last at that match, had contributed some kind of garbage to four or five sub-section's "last posts", and had subscribed to three or four more other threads within those subsections! Suddenly he felt his meager accomplishment warranted him the right to answer every question asked on this board, and argue facts with actual, proven winners!? Even if he was giving away pearls, his constant posting inflates the value of those pearls in no time flat. And I highly doubt many folks here consider his contributions as pearls! Either way, when there is that much refuse being smeared around, who wants to throw real pearls into it? I can't think of anything that will run off knowledgeable and worthy contributors faster than that. And when they're gone, the idiots will rush to fill that vacuum. That's where this board currently sits in my opinion, and I'm in no hurry to get on here and ruin my day anymore. I'd rather go to the range and shoot and talk with real shooters.
    Sorry Wilbur. But I hope you realize my honesty comes as respect for you and what you're trying to figure out. I could have sat here and blown smoke up your nose, but that is beneath you and I, and will help nothing.

Wilbur I see the name thing as a nonstarter. It is easy to figure out who the ones worth listening to are. I just see a lack of new topics for shooters that know how to win. Not that much new. Even March scopes are old news. Winners have most things figured out. New shooters ask an intelligent question will get plenty help on here.
    If you want a suggestion here's one. What's your thought on a seller feedback in your classifieds. I really don't use it because of that.
    I still say Thanks to you and the ones that share. This is a wonderful site.