Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: A Chet Amick Rifle

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,206

    A Chet Amick Rifle

    Not long before I left for Florida, I visited a friend who has a fairly large collection of RF Benchrest rifles. We got to talking and he began to show me some of the rifles he has acquired over the past few years. He mentioned that he had a rife built by Chet Amick. I asked if I could look at it. He dug it out of his safe and un-wrapped it. Lovely Hall in a Larson stock, signed by Chet and the name of the fellow he made it for. I asked to look at the chamber and was permitted to do so. It isn't like any other chamber I have looked at to date, I must say but have some idea of what is in there. Very interesting, indeed it was.

    Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 12-25-2014 at 08:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    376
    Pete

    That is just a teaser, what's the rest of the story?

    Hal

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    Pete

    That is just a teaser, what's the rest of the story?

    Hal
    That's the whole story. It appears to be a very well made rifle. I hope to get to shoot it some day.

    Pete

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,839
    Was this Gary Loughnot's rifle? Was it glued in?
    Last edited by tim; 12-25-2014 at 09:20 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,206
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Was this Gary Loughnot's rifle? Was it glued in?
    No, Douglas was the first name and I don't remember the second. I didn't look to see how it was bedded.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    Not long before I left for Florida, I visited a friend who has a fairly large collection of RF Benchrest rifles. We got to talking and he began to show me some of the rifles he has acquired over the past few years. He mentioned that he had a rife built by Chet Amick. I asked if I could look at it. He dug it out of his safe and un-wrapped it. Lovely Hall in a Larson stock, signed by Chet and the name of the fellow he made it for. I asked to look at the chamber and was permitted to do so. It isn't like any other chamber I have looked at to date, I must say but have some idea of what is in there. Very interesting, indeed it was.

    Pete
    Wasn't there a heated argument in the past with the Amick estate about the proprietary configuration of these rifles, and the estate did not wish to release Chets accuracy secrets?

    After those discussions I am surprised an Amick rifle made it out of the family collection...........Don

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North Central Pa
    Posts
    217

    Chet Amick Rifle

    I have one 10.5 Swindlehurst not glued in, (Lugnuts), also shoot with a friend with a 54 sporter.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by earlm View Post
    I have one 10.5 Swindlehurst not glued in, (Lugnuts), also shoot with a friend with a 54 sporter.
    Thats a good one, very lightly used. I set up the ignition on that one , Gary and I were both shooting Swindlehurst's at the time. As i remember anything from 1053-1068fps worked well.
    Last edited by tim; 12-26-2014 at 01:25 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Wasn't there a heated argument in the past with the Amick estate about the proprietary configuration of these rifles, and the estate did not wish to release Chets accuracy secrets?

    After those discussions I am surprised an Amick rifle made it out of the family collection...........Don
    There was no battle over anything other than misinformation. The number one "proprietary" element of Chet's work was how he lapped his barrels.......gone with him.
    Last edited by tim; 12-26-2014 at 07:51 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    No, Douglas was the first name and I don't remember the second. I didn't look to see how it was bedded.
    I suspect the prior owner wasnt the first, Chet never signd or marked any gun I ever heard of.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,206
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    I suspect the prior owner wasnt the first, Chet never signd or marked any gun I ever heard of.
    The current owner told me he bought the rifle from the widow of the person who was very close to Chet and the rifle was a present to that fellow who is and was deceased at the time of purchase.

    Tennyrate, the chamber is far different than any I have seen in other rifles; lapped, I would say and finished very well. The rifle hasn't been shot very much, from what I saw.

    Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 12-26-2014 at 03:23 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Muscle Shoals Alabama
    Posts
    86
    Pete. was it sighned like this.?


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Claryville, New York
    Posts
    468
    Hi Pete
    Hope you had a Merry Christmas

    A couple Questions. When you say The Chamber was finished very well. Did that mean polished to remove all tool marks? All tool marks including the leade? How did he say it Shot.
    Always wondered what other people thought About chambers. Is it finish or dimension?

    Thanks
    Gordon

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    The current owner told me he bought the rifle from the widow of the person who was very close to Chet and the rifle was a present to that fellow who is and was deceased at the time of purchase.

    Tennyrate, the chamber is far different than any I have seen in other rifles; lapped, I would say and finished very well. The rifle hasn't been shot very much, from what I saw.

    Pete
    Didn' t lap them but they generally looked quite good. All of them done with one single reamer, he said it would never leave to be sharpened.......never found out what happened to the reamer.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,206
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonE View Post
    Hi Pete
    Hope you had a Merry Christmas

    A couple Questions. When you say The Chamber was finished very well. Did that mean polished to remove all tool marks? All tool marks including the leade? How did he say it Shot.
    Always wondered what other people thought About chambers. Is it finish or dimension?

    Thanks
    Gordon
    It's a finish and looked to me as if it was lapped. You know how a cylinder looks after it has been honed? It looked something like that. No tool marks at all where one would normally see a leade. He said it will shoot about anything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •