Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range box

Range box

Could a range box like this, or similar, still be bought somewhere? If so, where?

That looks like a standard Kennedy machinist's box. Check ebay for a used one but they can still be bought new, as far as I know. They can be pricey for a range box that doesn't see daily commercial use. They are the industry standard.

I used one for 5 years, holds lots of stuff! Finally realized that a lot of the stuff wasn't necessary, so I converted to a 3 drawer craftsman tool chest, that holds everything needed to reload at a match. I now use the Kennedy to hold tools for my lathe.

An rather expansive thoracic surgeon that I knew, who shot benchrest, and always had to have something that was bigger and better, had the largest Kennedy machinists box that I have ever seen used for that purpose on his loading table, behind the benches at Visalia. I had come by on a Sunday, to see the end of the day's shooting. Back then I was in what I thought in decent shape, and worked with my hands and back. Instead of driving his Blazer down to the same level, in front of the benches, (The firing line is well below the parking lot at Visalia, perhaps six feet or so, with stairs.) He suckered me into carrying it up for him. Worried that holding that much weight in front of me might strain my back, I hoisted it onto my shoulder and barely made it up the stairs and across the parking lot without staggering, where I set it down on his tailgate. After that, I made a mental note not to get suckered that way again, and to remind myself that toolboxes that are going to be carried a lot, need to top out at under 40 pounds. I mention this to encourage you to come up with the total weight of all of what will go into your box add the weight of the box to that, and consider if you really want to be handling that much weight every time that you go to the range and load. Drawers are neat, but I manage without them quite well, and my loading box goes to the range with me every time.

Box

Not sure where to buy one with a Garlits and So-Cal Speed Shop plates?

Kennedy Boxes

I have 2 of those in my shop, although I split my range gear into 2 lighter plastic toolboxes. Here are 2 sources for Kennedy boxes:
    http://www.use-enco.com/

http://www.mscdirect.com/

Who makes this range box?............Thanks Ian

Who makes this reloading box?

Ian
    Gregg Schnur (Otto) of Syracuse NY designed and manufactured this reloading box. Yes, it is a great reloader's box. Gregg is a very invovative designer. Gregg stopped making them about 5 to 6 years ago.
    Bob

[/QUOTE]

Being a bit more useful, here is the catalog.
    http://www.kennedymfg.com/Kennedy/Ca...talog_2012.pdf
    It appears to be a model 520, which you will find on page 20. Although I did not find this one, I looked on Grainger's web site to get an idea of what it might cost. Too rich for my blood

Everybody has different thoughts...

I had several along the way. I know this ain't going sound right but if you can kill that need to look good you could go this way and be as well off as you could be.

I ended up with a blue cooler that doubled as a stool. Tossed all my stuff in the cooler (yes, just tossed it), put the cooler in the car, loaded my table and was ready to go. That worked pretty darn good but I didn't have the stuff to loan and eventually had to go borrow some things to fix my rifle...but hey...wasn't any trouble at all since everybody else hauled all that stuff around just waiting on somebody like me that needed it. I unloaded a table and a cooler - that's all. Would have to dig in the cooler to find an itty bitty item but that paid back when the match was over and we packed up.

Find or make a level spot for the table, open the cooler and set up, close the cooler and use it for a stool. You look kinda stupid because you don't have that big box on the table as everybody else does but you'll get over that the first time you set it up....and moreover....load up to go home. Oh, forgot, I had a Charlie Hood cleaning cradle that I had to unload.

Thought I'd add this but I know full well that NOBODY is going to do this. In fact, I don't even expect a response. Additionally, if you believe what your loading table looks like has anything to do with how you place then you need to rethink that a bit.

To fall in...

The Kennedy box is a good one - look on eBay for one that's not bent and has the drawer liners.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    I had several along the way. I know this ain't going sound right but if you can kill that need to look good you could go this way and be as well off as you could be.

I ended up with a blue cooler that doubled as a stool. Tossed all my stuff in the cooler (yes, just tossed it), put the cooler in the car, loaded my table and was ready to go. That worked pretty darn good but I didn't have the stuff to loan and eventually had to go borrow some things to fix my rifle...but hey...wasn't any trouble at all since everybody else hauled all that stuff around just waiting on somebody like me that needed it. I unloaded a table and a cooler - that's all. Would have to dig in the cooler to find an itty bitty item but that paid back when the match was over and we packed up.

Find or make a level spot for the table, open the cooler and set up, close the cooler and use it for a stool. You look kinda stupid because you don't have that big box on the table as everybody else does but you'll get over that the first time you set it up....and moreover....load up to go home. Oh, forgot, I had a Charlie Hood cleaning cradle that I had to unload.

Thought I'd add this but I know full well that NOBODY is going to do this. In fact, I don't even expect a response. Additionally, if you believe what your loading table looks like has anything to do with how you place then you need to rethink that a bit.

Honest answer, always appreciated.

To be honest myself, I am scaling down when going into a box like this meaning I might also end up in a cooler some time; 5-10 years down the road. It's a process, I admit, but at least I have discovered I need less, or at least I can leave a lot in the car just I'm case.... for now...

Two miserable seasons has brought me back to basic when it comes to tools, gadgets, tactic, theory and rifle handling. So far, so good!

Quote Originally Posted by stool View Post
    This box is quite a bit cheaper from Grizzly's website

Quote Originally Posted by reloadr View Post
    Ian
    Gregg Schnur (Otto) of Syracuse NY designed and manufactured this reloading box. Yes, it is a great reloader's box. Gregg is a very invovative designer. Gregg stopped making them about 5 to 6 years ago.
    Bob

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bob, I bought one from Bill Krazinski (sp) back in 2005 has to be the best box I've ever come across, not enough room to make it exceedingly heavy and enough room to hold everything I need, it's good as long as I'm driving to a competition but a Rubbermaid toolbox is better if flying......no one's broken mine yet.
    http://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com/...sp?rcpNum=7802

Ian

Question Wilbur

Wilbur had a Kennedy tool box. We were @ Longcreek Gun Club, Charlotte NC. I ask Wilbur where I may find a used Kennedy box. He sold his to me for $50.00 and insisted he buy my dinner, w/the money, @ a steak house, on our way back to Tennessee. I still have the box. Here's my question::: Do you shooters think Wilbur may owe me some kind of rebate, or was deal to me , reasonable????????
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post

Last edited by HFVINC; 05-28-2014 at 06:02 AM. Reason: left out,

Pretty sure you got cheated

Gimme the box back and buy me a hamburger....I'll give you 50 bucks and we'll be back like we were so many years ago. I'll put the box in one of these old broke Cadillacs sitting here and all will be well.