Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 Rimfire zero at 200 meters

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_K View Post
    I agree Dave, something bigger is needed, I was thinking more in this direction

(a fellow club mate playing around in Iraq in 2008)

Brian
    Looks like ammo techs playing around with mortar propellant from a 4.2 mortar.( Vietnam 1971)we did it.

Red face Dog hunter

How was the 200m shoot
    ? All are waiting to hear...what kind of ammo did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Marines View Post
    Looks like ammo techs playing around with mortar propellant from a 4.2 mortar.( Vietnam 1971)we did it.
    Gone metric now Marines........81mm

Brian

200m Fly Shoot Report

Quote Originally Posted by Marines View Post
    How was the 200m shoot
    ? All are waiting to hear...what kind of ammo did you use?
    G'day guys.

Well; about 10 people entered the Wodonga SSAA 200m Fly Shoot.

It was hot, it was windy with mirage....but it was fun.

The rulemakers came up with: 15 shots at the target, best 10 to score.

As soon as we had finished 50m benchrest we put some practice targets out at 200m.
    The scoring ring is 8" dia, with the 10 ring 1.5" dia. It has a fly 0.75" x 0.75" at the centre.

Rifles used ranged from lightweight .22 hunting rigs through to Anschutz 64's (It was a laid back, fun event, we were not shooting for sheep-stations - just prestige). I used my Russian Izhmash Biathlon T-bolt and CCI 40gn 1073fps (with the wind it would have been a waste to use RWS R50 at triple the price).

According to the Hornady calculator and also Chairgun, I had to elevate by 116 clicks of my 0.25 moa scope (28") from my 50m zero point. As the Lynx scope that I was using has 60 clicks per rev this meant nearly 2 full turns plus 16 right (wind)

My first 3 sighter's actually hit the paper, about 10" high and left. Quite an encouraging start, as the target was shimmering in the heat (32°C /89°F), wind was gusting to about 10 mph from behind & right.

Mate with an Anschutz 64 with 24x Sightron won, I got a score but nothing to write home about (was not last though, even managed 2 x 10's).

More important were the personal lessons learned:
    1. The ballistic software was pretty accurate in it's predictions.
    2. Wind ain't the same at 200m as it is back at the bench and it really pushes the little .22 rimfire about.
    3. Lynx scope calibrations are accurate, and when returned to the 50m zero and test fired it was spot on again.
    4. More practice......more practice......
    5. You blokes are a great bunch for helping me out with my initial question

Regards * Danny *
    Last edited by doghunter; 03-17-2014 at 05:37 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by doghunter View Post
    (with the wind it would have been a waste to use RWS R50 at triple the price).
    Tight bugger

Great report Danny, I enjoyed it, although I have to confess not something I’d try myself………then again !!!

Brian
    ps.we had 32c here, once
    Last edited by Brian_K; 03-17-2014 at 07:22 PM.

42.7°N 71.6°W • ie; 1/4 mile south of NH & stuck in MA
    Danny,

Thanks, and sounds like you had a good shoot. On that day we were probably lucky to have seen 25°F, the same as today, but then again, on both days the windchill brought the Feel-Like temp right back down into the mid teens. It has been unusually cold all winter, and still breaking record lows now we're into March. Plus the snow? Haven't seen the grass in my backyard since early last November, and still have another foot to go before it will be back to normal. Hell of a winter, that's for sure.

I ran a USRA IR50/50 100Y .22 match ...once… (they use to even have special targets for shooting 100Y matches, but the Class failed after only a year or two due to lack of interest) and that sure opened our eyes to how much the wind can affect a .22 match bullet out beyond 50Y, and no one around here wanted anything to do with it ever again. You 200Y guys are in a Class of your own, but I'd do it if I were there!

Good shooting, and glad to hear you actually did hit the paper - and more than once.

Dave Shattuck

Good show!
    Question: 28" or 28MOA?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Paul & Brock View Post
    Good show!
    Question: 28" or 28MOA?
    G'day. What a great question. Of course it was 28 MOA. Too used to approximating 1" = 1 MOA at 100 yards..........

As the comp was for lightweight/hunting .22's (as opposed to dedicated BR rigs) I must have been on autopilot because I would never dream at taking a clean shot at a bunny, fox or wild dog at much over 75m.

Where I live here in Oz, most of our club members hunt, so to keep in the spirit of the comp I used my hunting .22, a Russian Izhmash biathlon with a very fast toggle action. On a calm day it will shoot 5 into 0.5" or better at 50m (did a 0.25" with Tenex at the range once).

Scope is a Lynx P3-12 x 42D in Leupold QRW Low Rings. The QRW is because one has to remove the scope to pull the pin that the toggle bolt pivots on to remove the bolt for cleaning and storage purposes.

Given all that, I am very happy with the set up. The scope is never more than a click out after removing it and replacing it (I have tested this aspect on the bench). The QRW mounts are set so that the locking levers, when torqued to a precise horizontal setting will give a repeatable zero. This is probably more of a testimonial to the manufacturers of the hardware....it is good quality.

If any of you blokes are looking for a deadly accurate and inexpensive .22 then give the little Russian a hard look. The only .22 hunting rifle that I ever owned that rivalled it for accuracy was a BRNO Model 2 that I floated and bedded....but then stupidly sold it.

Regards * Danny *
    Last edited by doghunter; 03-19-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Danny

We are kinda down on Ruskies right now!

Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    We are kinda down on Ruskies right now!
    Point taken, same here in Oz.

The people who made my Izhmash are just like you and me though, working to earn a living.

It's the politicians that need lining-up, not the peasants.

Anyway, you might be happy to know that I have been checking out a Sako Quad Range and a nice Anschutz to upgrade my rimfire capabilities. Actually, I am just about to start a new thread to ask about the Sako.

* Danny *