Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to Full Lenght Size Again

When to Full Lenght Size Again

After getting my first Sako in 222 I sized all new cases and thereafter used a neck sizer only. I'm on my third reload of neck sizing and was curious how many more times neck sizing before I have to full length resize again. I use Lapua brass and so far as of the last firing they all fed good.

If you are shooting a relatively mild load, you may neck size for a few firings before being forced to FL size, but you should keep in mind that cases do not get tight on the same firing, even when from the same lot, fired the same number of times, with the same load. Another thing worth considering is that if you shoot a group in which some of the rounds chambered differently than others, the group is likely to be larger than it would have been if they all chambered the same. So...if you must neck size, I would figure out the maximum number of firings that you can get with consistent bolt close for all rounds, and use that as your guide.

Some time ago, the only bench rifle that I had was a tight necked .222 that I was loading for with a fitted set of Wilson dies. At some point I was forced to FL size, and dreaded this because I was sure that the rifle's accuracy would suffer. I was wrong. After carefully FL sizing my brass, making sure of my shoulder bump, the groups improved from what I had been getting. Of course with the thinner necks there was not any problem from too much expander ball pull making cases crooked. In fact I may have had to run them through my Wilson neck die to tighten them up to the neck tension that I wanted.

Get one of these http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/ca...reloading-dies be the same every time with limited sizing. And make the neck exactly what you want without the trouble making expander ball.

Last time I had about three out of thirty cases that were a bit difficult to get chambered. They made it from the magazine to the chamber but the bolt would not close easily...full length time already? This was their third time being neck sized only.

Harrell's must really like their dies at $75 for a size die.
    Last edited by ColColt; 12-08-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
    Last time I had about three out of thirty cases that were a bit difficult to get chambered. They made it from the magazine to the chamber but the bolt would not close easily...full length time already? This was their third time being neck sized only.

Yes. ANY resistance to the bolt closing due to un-sized cases will negatively affect accuracy. Lynwood Harrel's die is a bargain at $75. Unfortunately, he does not make one for the .222.

It appears I need to go back to full length sizing on the next reloads. Shame, I thought I could go on for 5-7 without that.

.........Harrell's must really like their dies at $75 for a size die.
    HUHH???

That's DIRT!

They're 1/3 price their competition, 1/10 the price of one of their competitors..... there is NOTHING in their price range. Nothing remotely close.... In fact the last die set I had made by Hornady was over 200.00 and it isn't held to the standards of the Harrells.

Good grief, use factory dies and be happy believing "It'll work all day, if I do my part!"

This ain't the 'Grunting About Ye Jollie Rock Chuting and Chawing and Make-It-Go-Bang Forum.' This is an accuracy forum.

al

You may know all there is to know about expensive dies but I don't...give me a break! I've never had anything but RCBS or Lyman dies.

I don't think that Harrell's makes .222 dies. If you want to go with your cheapest option that should not mess anything up, see if Redding makes a body die to use in conjunction with your Wilson neck die. Personally, I would go with either a bushing FL die, or a Forster one piece FL die, and have them hone out the neck for a modest charge.

You may know all there is to know about expensive dies but I don't...give me a break! I've never had anything but RCBS or Lyman dies.
    One option that hasn't been mentioned might save you a few $$ and will be no more work than you do currently. Send your full length die to Jim Carstensen (JLC Precision) and have him make it into a bushing die. It's been a couple of years since I had this done last and it was around $50 including postage. Learn to bump the shoulder .001 on each firing and you should have what you want.

Rick

If you are looking for value and precision full length sizing, order a Wilson full length sizer.........not as fast to use as a high end threaded full length resizer but as or more precise and less dollars, may have to order directly from Wilson as many distributors do not carries these in stock.

What's the criteria used to decide one needs to full length size?

I'm using a wilson gage to check length and size after neck-sizing (.223 rem, .303 savage, and .308win). So far, I have some lots with more than 10 reloads without full length sizing. No problems chambering any of them.

The criterion is bolt feel. If they are not too snug , then you don't need to. If you get that many reloads without FL sizing, and your bolts are not tight, your loads are mild, but that's OK, as long as they get the job done that you want them to.

http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Fitted_Necks

If you're new, before ya'll go say "Oh, he doesn't know what he's talking about, he's not a benchrest shooter," go look at the topics he does cover, & remember Varmit Al does post to BR Central. When it comes to tuners, we even solicit his analyses. He does know what he's talking about, he's just going to stay with loads in the 52,000 psi (not cpu) region.

Yes, high pressure loads do tend to be a bit more accurate on some chamberings & barrels. So, if .020 counts, load 'em hot & up & size 'em down. Though back in the '90s, when AA 2015 BR was a different powder, I used a charge for the 6 PPC that was reasonably mild. 50 firing on a set of Lapua .220 Russian cases, never full length sized. Yes, this was formal competition. Even beat Wilbur a couple times with that setup (we'll just ignore all the times he beat me, that had nothing to do with powder charge...).

Charles,
    Back in the day, I used to see Gary Ocock load all weekend with a bushing neck sizing die, in a Lyman tong tool. What does that tell you about the pressure, and velocity of the loads that he was shooting? If I remember correctly, he cleaned with a brush and patches, between groups, using nothing but TEC. Looking at the HOF, I'd say it worked pretty well for him. BTW, I had a chance to shoot a little less than a pound of the 2015 that you mentioned. Neat stuff. It didn't seem to care much about neck tension, and it shot very well, so I bought 8#, not realizing that the source had changed. A friend got a very good deal, and it works very well for informal paper punching in his .22-250.

Boyd