Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superior Action Rifle, Dryden NY

Quote Originally Posted by RJM View Post
    I've noticed that the Sherman actions, as well as the Shilen actions, and Shilen actions made by SS&D. all made in upstate NY, seem to have serial numbers ending in L.

No coincidence I'll bet, but the significance is probably lost to history. It certainly did not mean left hand, because mine is a righty & still marked L.

Regards,
    Ron
    Ron,

On the Superior actions, "L" stands for large bolt face (for cartridges having a rim of .473).

I bought 17L from Larry Baggett a few years ago. The bolt face on it has been bushed down to accept cases with a .378 rim. Larry shot it as a Deuce, or some variation thereof. I think he said he won a Super Shoot or something like that with it.

Nice action.

Justin

Did the Sherman actions have M-16 extractors like the Shilen actions?

Quote Originally Posted by RJM View Post
    Did the Sherman actions have M-16 extractors like the Shilen actions?
    RJM,

The extractors were similar, per Mr. Sherman.

Justin

The L actions (Superiors at least) were also a tad (scientific term) larger OD.

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    The L actions (Superiors at least) were also a tad (scientific term) larger OD.
    Yup...1.370 OD for the small bolt faces, and 1.390 for the large bolt faces.

Parker...how are you? Still on the Superior quest, I see.

Justin

I am well Justin. Older, slower, calmer, more worn out. Newly "moved" to PA, and living back in CNY in winters...which if anyone knows anything about that confirms I am certified loony.

And yes, keeping my ear to the ground for another Superior. It appears #31 will stay in the family of the person now caretaking it, despite my efforts otherwise.

#7 is a hoot. It serves to tell me every time I shoot it what a lousy shooter I am. Nice problem to have.

be well, stay safe and when you get yours done, PHOTOS please.

Parker

I have number 25. It's in a rifle my Grandfather built. I found this thread on google, and signed up just to reply. On the action it says "Superior" Then "Dryden, NY" below that, and "25" below that, with "25" on the bolt as well. It's currently in Augusta, Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayakbassfisher View Post
    I have number 25. It's in a rifle my Grandfather built. I found this thread on google, and signed up just to reply. On the action it says "Superior" Then "Dryden, NY" below that, and "25" below that, with "25" on the bolt as well. It's currently in Augusta, Georgia.
    Kayakbassfisher,

I'm curious...who was your grandfather? It sounds like he might have been an old benchrest gunsmith and shooter.

And if you have pictures of the rifle, we'd like to see them.

Justin

Hi Kayak,
    I dropped you a PM. Sorry I do not get here very often. If you reply to my PM i can give you an email address that reaches me faster.

Your rifle was built in the early 1960's by Ross Sherman, Dryden NY. It was originally either a 222, 222 Mag or a 6-47Rem. They were often rebarreled over time, as all BR guns were. It would have been originally in a wood stock. If it is a yellow or cherry wood stock, it is likely original to Ross. Many folks put them in glass over the years.

Do you know who barreled it? If it doesn't say on the side of the barrel, it may under the forearm. How does she shoot?

Send me a photo, I try to keep up on these. Located one in Co recently, in 6x50RWS of all things.

Snert

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    Hi Kayak,
    I dropped you a PM. Sorry I do not get here very often. If you reply to my PM i can give you an email address that reaches me faster.

Your rifle was built in the early 1960's by Ross Sherman, Dryden NY. It was originally either a 222, 222 Mag or a 6-47Rem. They were often rebarreled over time, as all BR guns were. It would have been originally in a wood stock. If it is a yellow or cherry wood stock, it is likely original to Ross. Many folks put them in glass over the years.

Do you know who barreled it? If it doesn't say on the side of the barrel, it may under the forearm. How does she shoot?

Send me a photo, I try to keep up on these. Located one in Co recently, in 6x50RWS of all things.

Snert
    The 5.6X50 RWS is a great cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    The 5.6X50 RWS is a great cartridge.
    The guy who has it wanted to sell it to me. Before he told me exactly what he had he asked general questions about value and i told him what an original in good shape would go for (to me) or one with good provinence. However his is not any of the above and he wanted too much. Didn't want to insult him. He got it for a song though.

Maybe someday I will make him an offer. i just really have no use for a 6-50RWS...

I want a small bolt face clean...I have one with a PPC bolt face, likely the only one.

Looks like he may not come back....

I'm still cataloging them, and have located about 14 now, of the 30. And I am in the market for a small bolt face rifle or action, reasonable.

Not a single photo in this thread!

C'mon Snert.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymac View Post
    C'mon Snert.
    I'm a tech boob. i have several photos of Old Yeller 3rd. and I have the PS articles on my bookshelf. If someone wants to tell me how, I will try to find time soon to put them up. The photos are in the cloud as they say, whatever the 'eck that means.