Thread: 30 BR Load data

30 BR Load data

I am trying to help out a fellow shooter. I am loading for load data for a 30 BR using powder other than H 4198, more specifically I am hoping to find some load ideas for IMR 4198 or H322, as that is the only powder choices this person has. He has a large supply of Berger 110 g. and I have some custom 115 and 120 g. bullets. I contacted Berger, but their response was that the 30 BR was a wildcat and they have no load data for their 110 or 115g bullets, go figure.

Thanks,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by burtona View Post
    Been there, And I own a 30 BR also. I use H 4198, and 6MMBR recommends H 4198. The problem as I stated in the original post is this person that I am trying to help only has H322 and IMR 4198. If one could find a place to buy H 4198 we would have done that already.

Ed

Ed, if you're talking about the H322 Extreme (and not some of the old 322's), you're not going to get enough in the case to hurt anything. It's a pretty bulky powder compared to H4198, so that will help some. I've tried some of the H322 Extreme just to get a feel for how it acts....it's slow enough that the necks like to get sooty all the way to the neck/shoulder junction (due to light pressure), but it didn't shoot too bad. You can get around this somewhat with a solid 'jam', a good amt. of neck tension and by picking up the bullet weight. An improvised l-o-n-g drop tube would also be a good idea.

I know you said there's only IMR4198 (stay away from it) and H322 where you're at...but if you can find some Benchmark, it can also perform well.

The problem with trying to make a powder work that's just not there is that in the long run you'll use up more $ in components that getting the good powder and movingforward with getting your program worked out and competitive.

Where are you located?

Good shootin'. -Al

I have to weigh in on this one because my #1 "go to" powder is H322 with any 110,112,115 and 118 grain bullets..I can get upwards of 3,200 fps here in West Texas during the summer months..but the accuracy node is around 2,990-3,005...I use 36 grains of H322 over a Federal 205 primer...seated just lightly kissing the lands...works great in temperatures 75-100 degrees which are most common here in my area during our shooting season...
    As with any BR gun it only shoots as good as the brass and driver will allow...my secret tip...get some older vintage Gold Box Lapua 6br brass and form your 30BR brass from it... anneal on a proven quality annealing machine (or pay to have it done)...shoot it forever don't get sucked into changing brass if the accuracy starts to fade (anneal after 7-10 realoads)...remember neck tension is part of the load development as is seating depth...I started with an 18 twist barrel and after it started to fade I now shoot a Bartlein 19 twist barrel...best barrel I have ever owned..it holds our range records at 100/200 yards all done with H322...

Eddie in Texas

Jackie Schmidt Group Record (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ehkempf View Post
    I am trying to help out a fellow shooter. I am loading for load data for a 30 BR using powder other than H 4198, more specifically I am hoping to find some load ideas for IMR 4198 or H322, as that is the only powder choices this person has. He has a large supply of Berger 110 g. and I have some custom 115 and 120 g. bullets. I contacted Berger, but their response was that the 30 BR was a wildcat and they have no load data for their 110 or 115g bullets, go figure.

Thanks,

Ed
    If my (less than perfect) memory serves me correctly - didn't Jackie set a world group record with a 30 BR using IMR4198? It stuck in mind because he wouldn't list the amount of the powder he used saying something like - it was more than what would be considered safe. I've experimented with it in my 30 BR and found it shot well. But its long grains were difficult to get settled in a case so as not to have compressed loads that caused the bullets to back out after seating. At the time I didn't have a long drop tube or a tighter bushing which may have helped to overcome those problems. I was using about 34.4 grs or thereabouts with a 115 gr bullet. All else being equal it did seem to have a faster burning rate than the H4198 I compared it to. But it may have been the particular lot of H4198 I was using. Some of my BR buddies have found that H4198 varies a noticable amount in burning speed from lot to lot. I've noticed that a few folks use H322 but I've never tried it so really can't advise one way or another. If you try the IMR4198 - start low and work up 2-3 tenths of a grain at a time watching for pressure signs. My bbl's most accurate speed node is just over 3,000 fps, but like another poster said anything from the mid 2900's to high 2900's should work. Good luck.
    Last edited by Zdog; 04-13-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Jackie's agg sure looked like a World Record, but it wasn't.

All I have used in the 30 BR is 322 it has always shot well (in 3 different barrels) at the 35-36 gr range

IMR4198 - 30BR: Starts at 33gr and I thing you will find it from 33.5 to 34.5 gr. I find it works a little better with winchester and wolf magnum small rifle primers. Seems like I4198 needs some extra spark for consistancy. I4198 has never seemed like an unsafe powder for the 30 BR. You need a long drop tube for charges greater than 35gr with it. I had a bbl that like 34.9 gr of IMR4198. Good luck.