Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Engine still on the dyno and testing will continue late this week or early next week. So far, it looks like we have a repeatable 4-5 h.p. increase over last season. Next testing will be four different NHRA accepted fuels: two from Sunoco and two from V.P. Last session, the V.P. C11 was the best but we've changed cam timing and a few other things since then. -Al
    Al, I might be wrong on this, but in recent times there have been articles concerning octane of fuels. It seems that too high of an octane number for a given application is really not desirable, and can actually cost power. In short, you should not run 110 octane fuel if an engine combination only requires 98.

Since the class you run is one where improvements are measured in very small gains, have you found that having just enough octane rating to prevent detonation can actually make more power?

Or, maybe not. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Al, I might be wrong on this, but in recent times there have been articles concerning octane of fuels. It seems that too high of an octane number for a given application is really not desirable, and can actually cost power. In short, you should not run 110 octane fuel if an engine combination only requires 98.

Since the class you run is one where improvements are measured in very small gains, have you found that having just enough octane rating to prevent detonation can actually make more power?

Or, maybe not. Just curious.
    Jackie, you're absolutely correct. Matching the combustion chambers flame propagation to a fuels burn characteristics is where the power and torque increases come from in these restricted classes. I've had good luck with the VP fuels in the past and am looking forward to seeing what, if anything, the Sunoco fuels may offer.

The fuel testing proved to be very worthwhile . The BSFC on each fuel (basically an indicator of how efficient a fuel is) gave some hints. After four fuels and moving cam around, we saw more gains in both H.P. and Torque. Overall, we ended up with two fuels that are virtually identical. It's important to look at the average power and torque across the rpm range, too.

I can't thank my pal Bob Sherwood enough. He owns the private dyno that I'm fortunate to test on. His experience in not only dyno operation but data interpretation have been invaluable. Bob is truly one of the good guys. Thank you, Bob!

I talked to David Nickens about the idea I have about taking the 540 out of my Malibu and installing a new LT-5.

https://sdparts.com/i-24120714-chevr...SABEgJCEvD_BwE

He said that the aftermarket has caught up and the parts are now available to do the whole project. With the cost of the engine at $18,000, the entire project would probably cost a little more than $30,000.

By big issue is what to do with my 540. This is a great street engine. I would like to find a buyer who could hear and see the engine still in the car, so they would know what they were getting. We could seal the deal and when Nickens got the 540 out, they could take delivery.

This will be a big project. Iím about 50/50 on whether I will do it.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 03-09-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    I talked to David Nickens about the idea I have about taking the 540 out of my Malibu and installing a new LT-5.

https://sdparts.com/i-24120714-chevr...SABEgJCEvD_BwE

He said that the aftermarket has caught up and the parts are now available to do the whole project. With the cost of the engine at $18,000, the entire project would probably cost a little more than $30,000.

By big issue is what to do with my 540. This is a great street engine. I would like to find a buyer who could hear and see the engine still in the car, so they would know what they were getting. We could seal the deal and when Nickens got the 540 out, they could take delivery.

This will be a big project. Iím about 50/50 on whether I will do it.
    Jackie, what's your thoughts on fitting the dry sump oil tank and lines? Does the ECU controller come with the wiring harness? Does the ECU have a basic tune up installed from the factory? Is it a 'self learn' style of ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Jackie, what's your thoughts on fitting the dry sump oil tank and lines? Does the ECU controller come with the wiring harness? Does the ECU have a basic tune up installed from the factory? Is it a 'self learn' style of ECU?
    Since I donít have air conditioning to get in the way, they will probably mount the tank on the firewall just to the right of the engine. It does have to be higher than the pump.

From what I understand, the GM ECU is programmed for the Factory 755 hp tune and is locked into itís own self tuning mode.
    Of course, I am sure the aftermarket has already busted into these and figured out ways to retune it.

Those A body cars get cramped really quick!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-07-21_164604.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	23426
    The fifties were a great time to be a teenager. Why my buddy is laying on the hood of his car I don't know. His girlfriend took the photo.

Mort

Times change. You donít have a bumper to climb on, fenders to roll across, and if you lay on the hood the bump shop is the next place to visit.

I have noticed this over my years that a LOT of us Shooters were/Are Motor Heads as well. I have owned a Bunch of Muscle Cars from "The ERA" butt what we had then are not anywhere close to the Autos that are come from the Big 3 2day--can U imagine a 800 + HP Plymouth,Ford or Cheby in the 60's with the technology we had then as far as brakes tires transmissions and the Options compared to today- Ps,Pb,Pw,X-M Radio, Traction control,Line loc and Air conditioning

I LUV the 60- early 70 Muscle car era in today's world they are Model "T's" compared to todays MUSCLE

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Hippy View Post
    I have noticed this over my years that a LOT of us Shooters were/Are Motor Heads as well. I have owned a Bunch of Muscle Cars from "The ERA" butt what we had then are not anywhere close to the Autos that are come from the Big 3 2day--can U imagine a 800 + HP Plymouth,Ford or Cheby in the 60's with the technology we had then as far as brakes tires transmissions and the Options compared to today- Ps,Pb,Pw,X-M Radio, Traction control,Line loc and Air conditioning

I LUV the 60- early 70 Muscle car era in today's world they are Model "T's" compared to todays MUSCLE

Jim
    Thatís why many of us old hot rodders, who love the look of the old cars, have replaced many of the vintage parts to take advantage of modern technology.

In my Malibu, even though the engine it is still, (basically), a Big Block Chevy, it has a thoroughly modern Hydraulic Roller Cam and the latest multi port fuel injection. The heads are full CNC machined and outflow anything from the Ď60ís while maintains port flow velocity. The brakes are disc all the way around with a HydraBoost power assist. The transmission is a full electronic 6 speed automatic with overdrive and lock up converter.

The suspension is all of the latest parts, increasing drivability and handling.

If you have read some of the other posts in this thread, you see where I am contemplating taking out the 540 and installing one of the new 755 HP LT-5 GM engines. That is on hold for now due to the Corona Virus outbreak. This might give me time to come to my senses

I have done so much to my car that it just looks like a Ď67 Chevelle Malibu.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1585347459
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5D024A0-80E6-434F-B642-E49ABE0CEA77.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	23431  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 03-27-2020 at 06:31 PM.

Except for the hood it could pass for a sleeper......until you heard it running.

Mort

Moonshine Morning ..........

Name:	Snapseed.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	3.95 MB 
ID:	23432

High Noon Speed Shop

Red face Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post

Name:	Snapseed.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	3.95 MB 
ID:	23432

High Noon Speed Shop
    That is a really cool car. Something you don't see very often.Is it unmolested? Nice to see some of the other GM brands.

Is that a Ď49 Olds?

That was the year Oldsmobile introduced their famous 88 V-8.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1585674417
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A4D5CD98-7BDD-4E68-8793-7BCECC002FEB.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	23435  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 03-31-2020 at 01:07 PM.