Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Ford

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    Attachment 22738

I'm not talking disc....most of the early fords had mechanical brakes. The common conversion used 40 Ford juice brakes. The parts were all available at the local junkyard. I heard
    It was a simple conversion but have no personal experience.

Peterson's dad was an early hot rodder and helped him with this.

I thought it was cool then ...and still do.

Mort
    went with hydraulic brakes, at least in the truck line, in mid 1936.

Another pic of Peterson's Ford. Check out the valve covers...Edmonds. They made these for Chevy 6: Caddy , Y block Fords and many others.[ATTACH=CONFIG]22756[/ATTACh

If I remember these were of high quality.

Mort

After blowing up the pic again it looks more like Weiand. Thought he just made speed equipment. I know....get new glasses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-07-21_165737.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	656.9 KB 
ID:	22756  
    Last edited by dmort; 08-08-2019 at 02:15 AM.

Ford Passenger Car Hydraulic Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    went with hydraulic brakes, at least in the truck line, in mid 1936.
    Ford passenger cars changed from rod operated to cable operated mechanical brakes for the 1937 and 1938 model years. It was not until the 1939 model year that Ole Henry changed to Lockheed manufactured hydraulic brakes for the cars.
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/0...rolled-brakes/
    Last edited by vlcakc; 08-08-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Smoke

Car manufacturers have long been willing to blow a little smoke up the publics a.. to justify what they are selling......Just the way it is.

Thanks for the info.

Mort

Anybody remember this?

If I remember correctly this was a set of Ardun heads on an 8BA block, Hilborn injectors, Vertex magneto, Cad LaSalle trans, and a Halibrand quick change rear diff.
    This was at a shooter's place.

Right on! I think Duntov had something to do with the initial design.

Mort

Yes, a flathead Ford with Hemi type OHV conversion Ardun heads-ARkus DUNtov. As I understand it Johnny was a former Porsche dealer. He was an engineer and was the "man" for the Rodriquez Porsche Formula 1 team. The second floor of his huge barn was full of 4 cam 4 cyl. Porsche engines and parts.
    An extra set of Ardun heads

One of Johnny's old 6 cyl Porsche racing long blocks.

Wish he was still with us.

Flathead Water Pump

Butch
    Did you indentify the block from the water pump? That would be my guess. I helped/hindered two high school buddies drop a 53 Merc in a 37 2 door sedan. Cooling was never mentioned....it was the additional cubes. I'm sure he had to change the radiator. Easy enough.

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 08-10-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Hey Butch, the Ardun Flathead Conversion was the ultimate example of pouring perfume on a pig.

I have no idea how many sets of those were made, but I can remember seeing two in my earlier years, one owned by one of Richard Warwicks mechanics.

I think the whole idea was to make use of the millions of flathead blocks that were available.

Jackie

There have been one or two improved versions of that head offered . One not that long ago. Pretty pricy and not many takers.

Mort

People your age shouldn't be up this late.
    Last edited by dmort; 08-10-2019 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    Jackie

There have been one or two improved versions of that head offered . One not that long ago. Pretty pricy and not many takers.

Mort

People your age shouldn't be up this late.
    Mort, We are still in Greeley Colorado after shooting the Score Nationals. I just got up this morning, we are leaving at 5:00 AM for Houston. The wife is getting ready, I'm enjoying a cup of coffee.

Back to work Monday.

Actually Mr Duntov originally produced them for Ford trucks for more power. Yeah, the originals and the clones are very pricey. It is a nostalgia thing now as cheaper horsepower is out there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0021.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	22787

50 years ago this was my weekend office . It was noisey as hell and really fun to drive.

Mort

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0002.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	481.4 KB 
ID:	22803

This is a friends car at the Vacaville drag strip now closed.

What I want to show here is no trailer...most of us never had a trailer, that all came later.

The trick thing was free wheeling hubs. I don't remember them being available on a commercial basis. You had them made or made your own.

You went to the junkyard and cut two front spindles off of the car of your choice...weld them to a plate to be drilled with the bolt pattern of your rear end.

Chuck the spindle, turn the od.on the plate and face the back so it was true with the spindle or close enough.

I did one for the Gasser and one for someone I owed a favor too.

I did this at the shipyard on my own time after hours. The electricity I used was totally lost in the noise. Sounds crude but it worked.

Mort

The pretty lady is my wife....she is still a fox.
    Last edited by dmort; 08-20-2019 at 08:25 PM.

My days were in the early 60s and forward. Living in Texas most of my life I followed Don Hardy and his car builds, Dickie Harrell, Don Gay, Kelly Chadwick, Gene Snow, and a friend, Roger Caster and his beautiful 66 Chevy Nova called Sump 'In' Else. Roger was in cahoots with Grady Bryant. I believe Grady became an attorney and author. I need to check my library as I believe Grady wrote a very entertaining book on match racing in the 60s. Tells of the days that needing a rear end, they rented a truck with a 9" and swapped out the rear end and returned the truck complaining about it having a bad diff. One guy put lead weights in the frame rails to transfer the weight to the rear on initial acceleration and many more cheats and the old psychology of working an opponents mind.
    I will search it out and post the info.