Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Results 286 to 300 of 327

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

  1. #286
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Nampa Idaho
    Posts
    516

    High School Hot Rod

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0007.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	496.5 KB 
ID:	22466

    The 33/34 5 window was built with the help of his father. The engine is an early Olds...the inboard pistons shared the same exhaust port.

  2. #287
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Nampa Idaho
    Posts
    516

    The 55 at Fremont

    Attachment 22472

    My son is pointing to the number 8 on the window. It was the 8th car in D/G to go over the scales that moring...could have been afew more later but don't remember.

    You had to weigh in because Altereds, Modified Sports and Coup/sedans were classed on weight per cu. in. These Gas Classes ran from A to F in Coup/sedan. You could run any size engine you wanted but you had to make the required weight. A Big Block could run in my class (D/G) but you would have to weigh two tons or more. A typical size engine for D/G used a 283 or 327. My cleaned up 327 measured 331 cu. in. A good combo was a 327 block with a 283 crank. 301.6 or 302 cu.in. was a real screamer.

    Mort
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0013.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	370.9 KB 
ID:	22473  

  3. #288
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,336
    Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    Attachment 22472

    My son is pointing to the number 8 on the window. It was the 8th car in D/G to go over the scales that moring...could have been afew more later but don't remember.

    You had to weigh in because Altereds, Modified Sports and Coup/sedans were classed on weight per cu. in. These Gas Classes ran from A to F in Coup/sedan. You could run any size engine you wanted but you had to make the required weight. A Big Block could run in my class (D/G) but you would have to weigh two tons or more. A typical size engine for D/G used a 283 or 327. My cleaned up 327 measured 331 cu. in. A good combo was a 327 block with a 283 crank. 301.6 or 302 cu.in. was a real screamer.

    Mort
    One of my favorite classes of the late 50’s and ‘60’s were the gassers. At the old Houston International RacePark there was a fairly large contingent of them. My favorite was a 55 yellow Chevy all decked out in gasser dress, straight axel, traction bars extending half way to the front, riding high. His engine was like the one you described. A 301 with “fuelie” heads, solid cam, twin four barrels, that thing would rev to 8000 rpm.

    The car was named “Lemonade”. Old Hands would sit on the line, rev that thing up like a die grinder, and dump the clutch. Then all heck would break loose.

    Those were the days!

  4. #289
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,102
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    ...........................Old Hands would sit on the line, rev that thing up like a die grinder, and dump the clutch. Then all heck would break loose.

    Those were the days!
    That's a nice turn of phrase there Jackie. Reads like a Pratchett line....

  5. #290
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ca.
    Posts
    506
    I was never a racer but here is where used to go to watch the races back in the 60's. Opened in 1950 by a policeman to get the kids off the street and to have a safe place to race. Re-opened in 2006 to honor some of the old folks who used to race there and it is still open today.

    https://youtu.be/Wn3Jd3aO7OU

  6. #291
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Nampa Idaho
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    One of my favorite classes of the late 50’s and ‘60’s were the gassers. At the old Houston International RacePark there was a fairly large contingent of them. My favorite was a 55 yellow Chevy all decked out in gasser dress, straight axel, traction bars extending half way to the front, riding high. His engine was like the one you described. A 301 with “fuelie” heads, solid cam, twin four barrels, that thing would rev to 8000 rpm.

    The car was named “Lemonade”. Old Hands would sit on the line, rev that thing up like a die grinder, and dump the clutch. Then all heck would break loose.

    Those were the days!
    s
    There are meets today that reflect drag racing in the sixties. The best is from the (Southeast Gassers) and can be found on YouTube.

    The rules are from the NHRA rule book from the mid-sixties. No new speed equipment that wasn't available then, no electronics and stick shift only.

    It is the only one I bother watching. Check it out...some good drivers.

    Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 06-09-2019 at 01:46 PM.

  7. #292
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Nampa Idaho
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis.J View Post
    I was never a racer but here is where used to go to watch the races back in the 60's. Opened in 1950 by a policeman to get the kids off the street and to have a safe place to race. Re-opened in 2006 to honor some of the old folks who used to race there and it is still open today.

    https://youtu.be/Wn3Jd3aO7OU
    Nice video Louis.
    Half Moon use to have a flag starter. It can be a risky job.

    Track prep was minimal (sweep and kitty litter for oil) and no burn box. You can walk on a prepared track today and it will suck your shoes off. We would have been faster with todays track conditions, but we would just break more parts which was already an issue.

    Didn't know you liked racing....Good to hear from you.

    Mort

  8. #293
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ca.
    Posts
    506
    High school drag racing team and not your average auto shop teacher by any means. School is about an hour from home and the video shows the kids running the car they built, maintain and drive.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rec...emplate=ampart

    https://youtu.be/Nb6Rk7qfoIE

  9. #294
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Nampa Idaho
    Posts
    516

    High School Racing

    Nice program they have going...didn't know some schools were dropping auto shop. What a shame.

    Panella Trucking used to run a gasser. An Anglia I think.

    Mort

  10. #295
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ca.
    Posts
    506
    Sadly allot of our junior and high school metal, wood and auto shops were converted into computer labs just as soon as each of the existing shop teachers retired. I worked for our local school district for a bit over fifteen years and some of those shop class rooms were ones that I remodeled into becoming nee computer labs. Kids just don't have the same opportunity to enjoy those shop classes anymore out my way. When in high school we used to create and pour metal sand castings in metal shop and I think it safe to say that furnace all though still there has not been turned on in well over 30 plus years. I have been retired now for a bit over nine years I just recently heard our last machine shop was closed and all of the machines headed are headed to auctioned off. What's really sad before I left I had to approve two new CNC Mills a couple of the shop teachers wanted to purchase and I don't believe either one was ever used. I know where one of those Mills went that metal shop was turned into a little black box theater and all of the shop equipment was removed. That was well within it just being a bit over a year when that new CNC Mill was delivered, wired for use and then shortly after being auctioned off.

  11. #296
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Down By the Cedar River
    Posts
    1,096

    39 Plymouth

    A friend found this old Plymouth. Runs great. Running boards aren't even rusted out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39 Plymouth.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	22523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39 Plymouth 1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	22522  
    Last edited by Dave Coots; 06-14-2019 at 09:44 PM.

  12. #297
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poetry, Tex.
    Posts
    6,279
    Nice barn find Dave. I believe it has a lot of wood in the main body and doors.

  13. #298
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Nampa Idaho
    Posts
    516

    39 Plymouth

    Nice find...like the old rims with original paint. My 40 Ford has wooden floorboards but are easy to replace.


    Mort

  14. #299
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Nampa Idaho
    Posts
    516

    My Old Gasser

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0009.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	22532


    My Gasser at Bakersfield. It was owned by Shawn Steele who went with a 350 small block and replaced the Olds/Pontiac rear with a 9 inch Ford. The slower gassers were dead and many moved to Bracket Racing to keep going.

    Shawn ran a 10:90 index which was heads up and did it with my often rebuilt 4 speed. I ran into Shawn at Sacramento Raceway a few years later and he had sold the car.

    The photo was taken by Steve Reys who also took pictures at Fremont Dragstrip. I would never spend the $25. for the picture and here the car ends up on the cover of Hot Rod Magazine....you just never know.

    Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 06-17-2019 at 08:07 PM.

  15. #300
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Nampa Idaho
    Posts
    516

    Old Cars Wood Parts

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-06-19_121502.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	22545 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-06-19_122102.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	22546


    The firewall on the 40 is gloss black and some areas are picking up reflected light from the floor. It looks a little strange but you can still see the wooden floorboards....these are just plywood.

    No I'm not sleeping....working on the steering.

    Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 06-19-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •