Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    Attachment 22702

Summer 1958......the punk in the car is yours truely.
    Mini skirts were along ways away.

Mort
    wayyyy too cool for school. That pic deserves to be on the wall down at the Roadside Diner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-07-21_170116.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	618.6 KB 
ID:	22707

1 year later: rubbed out paint, removed bumper guards, install 6 inch front spring shackles, whitewall skins, stainless beauty rims, but failed to find matching cherry 16 inch Ford center caps.

Mort

Forgot hood alignment.

Skins are thin rubber mounted between tire and rim......cheap whitewalls.
    Last edited by dmort; 07-27-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Hi Tech Brakes For Your Early Ford

Name:	2019-07-21_165915.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	596.9 KB 
ID:	22738

I'm not talking disc....most of the early fords had mechanical brakes. The common conversion used 40 Ford juice brakes. The parts were all available at the local junkyard. I heard
    It was a simple conversion but have no personal experience.

Peterson's dad was an early hot rodder and helped him with this.

I thought it was cool then ...and still do.

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 08-02-2019 at 11:01 PM.

Juice Brakes

Name:	2019-07-21_165915.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	596.9 KB 
ID:	22738

I'm not talking disc....most of the early fords had mechanical brakes. The common conversion used 40 Ford juice brakes. The parts were all available at the local junkyard. I heard
    It was a simple conversion but have no personal experience.

Peterson's dad was an early hot rodder and helped him with this.

I thought it was cool then ...and still do.

Mort
    This was a faily common conversion back in the day. The '36 Ford Tudor I bought in 1952 was so equipped along with a '48 Merc flathead and column shift tranny. Not great brakes by today's standards, but a vast improvement over the original mechanicals. Vic

Vic

Great to hear from an old time rodder. Wish you many happy miles.

Do you have any pics?

Mort

With a couple of weeks layoff, it's back to the pump. Not much secret as to where the work is focused. -Al

Vic

Great to hear from an old time rodder. Wish you many happy miles.

Do you have any pics?

Mort
    Thanks for the kind words! Sadly I don't think any pics of the '36 Ford have survived. We have a ton of old photos that have not been sorted or cataloged for many years. I'll see if I can find anything of interest. I'm sure there are some pics of the '61 Pontiac Ventura hardtop with Tri-Power, 4 speed and Bonneville interior with bucket seats that was a factory prototype for the '62 Gran Prix. Vic

In 1961 Eddie Hill had a 61 Ventura tripower that ran in Super Stock. Eddie lived in a trailer house in Wichita Falls, Texas and had a really nice shop behind it. He had an aluminum tube framed dual Pontiac engine dragster that he was workiong on as well as his jet powered dragster. I spent quite a few lunch hours at his shop at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by vlcakc View Post
    Thanks for the kind words! Sadly I don't think any pics of the '36 Ford have survived. We have a ton of old photos that have not been sorted or cataloged for many years. I'll see if I can find anything of interest. I'm sure there are some pics of the '61 Pontiac Ventura hardtop with Tri-Power, 4 speed and Bonneville interior with bucket seats that was a factory prototype for the '62 Gran Prix. Vic
    Vic
    Would appreciate anything you can provide.

Thanks

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    With a couple of weeks layoff, it's back to the pump. Not much secret as to where the work is focused. -Al

Secrets?....is this a test? If so I will give it a shot.

Pic A: The distributer is in back so it's not a Ford, B you broke down and bought a new engine stand, C you bought a gizmo that measures crank pully diameters.

Do I get 3 stars or what?

Nice photos Al

Mort

OK, my guess??? Ezell made you a tungsten-powder-filled harmonic balancer for dampening crank harmonics thru frequencies generated by the steep power curve. It'll hopefully flatten throttle response and get rid of that squirrely liftoff where she crabwalks toward the bleachers........

I just noticed something.... you're still running iron heads! Man I can't even remember how many of them old double-humper fuelies (we called 'em "fuelers" or just "202's") I've went thru over the years!

And the nicks on my fingers and knuckles from grinding on them by the hours "porting and polishing" and getting rid of mismatches...... and the awesome boogers I'd harkk up in the shower from breathing that dust.....I was probably over 40 before I experienced what coffee and a smoke tasted like without petroleum byproduct in it/on it

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    And the nicks on my fingers and knuckles from grinding on them by the hours "porting and polishing" and getting rid of mismatches...... and the awesome boogers I'd harkk up in the shower from breathing that dust.....I was probably over 40 before I experienced what coffee and a smoke tasted like without petroleum byproduct in it/on it
    Good thing you didn't work at the shipyards running an oil bath turret lathe! The smokes got pretty soggy.

Didn't know you had engine building experience. Learn more about you everyday!

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 08-04-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    I just noticed something.... you're still running iron heads! Man I can't even remember how many of them old double-humper fuelies (we called 'em "fuelers" or just "202's") I've went thru over the years!
    I's not that I'm still running them..it's that I have to per NHRA rules for my engine.

They're 1.94/1.50's...not 2.02/1.60's.