Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Crewed at Brainerd, Mn. last week on my pal's Competition Eliminator A/SM Cobalt that I'd posted some pics of earlier....here's a couple of shots from there:

-The grey Kia Soul (rt) goes under the race car in the stacker trailer.

-After every run, the clutch data gets downloaded. Here, my hands are getting 'in the can' from where a dial indicator is used to measure clutch disc wear and add/subtract clutch base pressure and/or counterweight to the clutch assy, based on what the RacePak data shows, what the temperature is doing, how the track temp is doing and the orientation of various chicken bones and bat wings that get scattered about. Science, technology, experience and intuition colliding....

-John Force getting ready. He turned to me and said "I just don't wanna' f&@k this up."

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    My days were in the early 60s and forward. Living in Texas most of my life I followed Don Hardy and his car builds, Dickie Harrell, Don Gay, Kelly Chadwick, Gene Snow, and a friend, Roger Caster and his beautiful 66 Chevy Nova called Sump 'In' Else. Roger was in cahoots with Grady Bryant. I believe Grady became an attorney and author. I need to check my library as I believe Grady wrote a very entertaining book on match racing in the 60s. Tells of the days that needing a rear end, they rented a truck with a 9" and swapped out the rear end and returned the truck complaining about it having a bad diff. One guy put lead weights in the frame rails to transfer the weight to the rear on initial acceleration and many more cheats and the old psychology of working an opponents mind.
    I will search it out and post the info.
    I have heard of these racers and have seen most of them at big meets. I may have slides of thieir cars that i can download. My son has alot of my stuff. I won't see hin until Xmas so it may take awhile.

Any stories you can post would be great.

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Crewed at Brainerd, Mn. last week on my pal's Competition Eliminator A/SM Cobalt that I'd posted some pics of earlier....here's a couple of shots from there:

-The grey Kia Soul (rt) goes under the race car in the stacker trailer.

-After every run, the clutch data gets downloaded. Here, my hands are getting 'in the can' from where a dial indicator is used to measure clutch disc wear and add/subtract clutch base pressure and/or counterweight to the clutch assy, based on what the RacePak data shows, what the temperature is doing, how the track temp is doing and the orientation of various chicken bones and bat wings that get scattered about. Science, technology, experience and intuition colliding....

-John Force getting ready. He turned to me and said "I just don't wanna' f&@k this up."
    Great photos as usual and a storyline to boot.
    Thanks

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 08-26-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Mort, This is the book that I'm referring too.
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dra...ant/1113498105
    A very entertaining book for the folks that like the history and lived it.

Mort, I didn't know that Grady had written several books. The one that I meant to mention was Match Race Madness.
    About Grady Bryant:

About Grady Bryant
    After one year of college Grady found he could not control his restlessness and moved on to more exciting projects. He joined the army and after completing his aptitude testing for the military he was trained for assignments that suited his call for high adventure. When discharged he turned to driving race cars and was immediately picked up by Chevrolet to help develop several concepts of the muscle care era. After a successful ten years of driving, promotion, and handling motor sports teams Grady quit and returned to college and earned a law degree. He practiced criminal law until sickened by the legitimacy of the system and returned to what he knew best, driving race cars. Grady was immediately hired to drive for corporations such as Chrysler, Levi's, Matco Tools, and his last ride was with Adolph Coors Corp. Being a syndicated writer for several motor sports publications led him to write his first book about the early days of drag racing, "Match Race Madness." It relates to the early days of racing and is considered to have a cult following and is frequently quoted in motor sports editorials. Unbeknownst to himself he was continuously preparing to be an action adventure writer, encompassing his travels and adventures into fiction, which is manifested in all his books.
    If I can find it I will loan it to you if you wish.

Mort, I didn't know that Grady had written several books. The one that I meant to mention was Match Race Madness.
    About Grady Bryant:

About Grady Bryant
    After one year of college Grady found he could not control his restlessness and moved on to more exciting projects. He joined the army and after completing his aptitude testing for the military he was trained for assignments that suited his call for high adventure. When discharged he turned to driving race cars and was immediately picked up by Chevrolet to help develop several concepts of the muscle care era. After a successful ten years of driving, promotion, and handling motor sports teams Grady quit and returned to college and earned a law degree. He practiced criminal law until sickened by the legitimacy of the system and returned to what he knew best, driving race cars. Grady was immediately hired to drive for corporations such as Chrysler, Levi's, Matco Tools, and his last ride was with Adolph Coors Corp. Being a syndicated writer for several motor sports publications led him to write his first book about the early days of drag racing, "Match Race Madness." It relates to the early days of racing and is considered to have a cult following and is frequently quoted in motor sports editorials. Unbeknownst to himself he was continuously preparing to be an action adventure writer, encompassing his travels and adventures into fiction, which is manifested in all his books.
    If I can find it I will loan it to you if you wish.
    I couldn't find it at the library here.
    Sent you a PM

Thanks
    Mort

Attachment 22812

This is the most beautiful car GM ever made. When I sold the 63 split-window all I ever did was regret it, especially when they became popular and exspensive. What was I thinking? I got a deal on this but paid $ 5400 for it which is what it cost new. I went through this car from the radiator to the rear end,suspension brakes and so it goes. I farmed out the paint, upholstery and restoration on the dash gages.
    I spent so much time on this car I thought my wife needed some ownership.....the rear plate reads PATS6T6

We put 52000 miles on this car. Saw alot of neat places and met some great people.

Mort

Those are real knock off rims from Western Wheel. They weren't offered by GM in 1967 because of Ralph Nader.
    Last edited by dmort; 08-22-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Mort, that's a beautiful car. Just got back from out of state. I will go in and look for the book.

Gorgeous car, Mort....the '63-'67's are hands down my favorites.

I saw a new 2020 Corvette the other day. It looked pretty....Ferrari-ish. -Al

Mort, This is the book that I'm referring too.
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dra...ant/1113498105
    A very entertaining book for the folks that like the history and lived it.
    Somehow I missed this Will purchase the book.
    Many thanks

Mort

Mort, if you purchase it, I believe that Amazon may be a better deal.

This event is held yearly at the Caddo Mills Airport. The airport is about 10 miles from the house. It is a rolling start and then a run for top speed. Mostly dominated by exotic "foreign" cars. Limited by the length of the runway. You will need to run 210-220mph to win. I believe they are street legal cars with the faster cars producing 1900-2500 HP.

http://texasspeedsyndicate.com/texas-invitational/

Click on the youtube videos. I believe they are run in October.

Will do .

Thanks Butch

Mort

Wrinkle wall low pressure tires

At some point, you are pretty consistent and competitive so what do you do to step up.

The tire companies were offering 12" low-pressure tires. The max tire width for my class was 12" if it didn't extend beyond the outside fender panels (NHRA rules). Local tracks relaxed those standards and a few others to increase participation. I wanted to be legal if I ever got a chance to go the Winter Nationals in So Cal. If you couldn't run 11 something there was no sense even showing up period.

During time trials the car ran 12.06, 12.03 and we knew we were on track, but the car was a little squirrelly for me.

First-round stage, tach at 6000rpm and dump the clutch. You could count 1-2 shift, it was that quick.

I had a habit of putting a little body motion into power shifting. On the 1-2 shift, I would pull the steering wheel down just a little with my left hand.

First round of eliminations....dump the clutch, shift and I'm headed towards the left side of the track. I had staged in the left lane so there was no danger to my opponent. Lucky that!

I get back to the pits and Bob is there to greet me.

"Hey Mort, this aint a circle track

It's a drag strip and it is really f***ing straight.

Do you think you can handle that??"

What are friends for?

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 08-25-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Shifting

If some you folks doubt the clutch 1-2 shift thing it's okay. The car had 6:14 rear end gears.
    That set up would do well on 1/8 mile tracks which do well in the SE.

Mort