please

Amen

Testing at Fremont Dragstrip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-10-08_151854.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	23283

This photo shows the Fuentes Brothers checking out their B/altered at Fremont. They had run an Altered class before moving to D and E Gas where there was more local competition.
    What prompted this move back to an Altered class, I don't remember but here we are.

The Altered class cars ran over 150 mph so the NHRA required a parachute for safety reasons.

The pretty redhead is my better half.

The photo is from late '68 or early '69...where in the hell did the time go?

Mort

P.S. Check out the front shocks

If you really love the old drag cars, join the American Hot Rod Foundation. https://ahrf.com Just thousands of photos and stories.
    Last edited by Butch Lambert; 02-04-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-10-08_151854.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	23283

This photo shows the Fuentes Brothers checking out their B/altered at Fremont. They had run an Altered class before moving to D and E Gas where there was more local competition.
    What prompted this move back to an Altered class, I don't remember but here we are.

The Altered class cars ran over 150 mph so the NHRA required a parachute for safety reasons.

The pretty redhead is my better half.

The photo is from late '68 or early '69...where in the hell did the time go?

Mort

P.S. Check out the front shocks
    Wow, look at that old school ďRat MotorĒ.

Iím sure those are Crower 3 inch tube injectors. I had a set of the 3 inch Stagger Tube Crowers that I ran on my circle boats when I ran methanol in K-Class.

That picture brings back memories.

Rat Job was the name of the car....I think it was a 396 block.

Do you have any pictures of the motors you raced on the water?

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 02-10-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Do you have any pictures of the motors you raced on the water?

Mort
    Yeh, somewhere this picture is pretty close to what my long deck Beismeyer Super Stocker looked like . https://www.v-drivevideo.net/picture...ver_enough.jpg

In super stock, just a 427 L88, factory aluminum high rise with a 800 double pumper on top, Basset Headers. Probably made about 550 HP.

In Pro Comp and SK, an aluminum head Rat, with a Wiend Pro Ram with two 1150 Dominators. The Pro Comp was 500 cid, the SK limited to 399 cid. My best SK motor was a destroaked .060 over 427 with Air Flow Research heads, gosh awful solid roller cam, 13 to 1 compression, etc. it made about 650, Erving at 8000 rpm on the straightaways. Gas had to pass the gas check. We made our own gas, because one of my best friends Dad worked at the Ethyl Corporation. We took standard green AvGas, 105 octane, and added tetraethyl lead and manganese to it until it was just on the limit.

The k Boat engine, (basically unlimited), was a iron head 14 to 1 compression Rat Motor with the 3 inch stagger Tube Crower Injectors. It ran on Methanol with sometimes 10 percent nitro added. Same cam as the SK. It revved to about 7500 rpm. Probably around 800 HP.

I never ran a blower in K Boat. Way too much violent torque. Realistically, you set the boat up to do about 110 mph on the straightaways and to handle the rougher water after the first turn. The Beismeyer Hulls we ran would turn on a dime and handle the water great if you knew how to drive it.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 02-10-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Jackie
    Were you boat drag racing or on a race course?

The motors sound pretty impressive.

A friend of mine had a glass ski boat powered by a 427 Ford. My wife could ski but all I did was swallow lake water. When he chose to open that thing up it would beat the crap out of you. I can only imagine what your ride was like.

Mort

Jackie
    Were you boat drag racing or on a race course?

The motors sound pretty impressive.

A friend of mine had a glass ski boat powered by a 427 Ford. My wife could ski but all I did was swallow lake water. When he chose to open that thing up it would beat the crap out of you. I can only imagine what your ride was like.

Mort
    I raced in American Power Boat Association closed course events. The typical length was 5 miles. If you ran on a 1 mile course, it was five laps. On a mile and 2/3 course, it was three laps.

I used the same boat in all the classes. I simply changed the engine, the prop, and the gears in the V Drive, which was a Casell.

With the Super Stock and SK engine, I used 15% overdrive and a 11 1/2 x 15 Stellings prop. In the Pro Comp and K Class, I changed to 23% overdrive gears and a 11 1/2 x 16 prop.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 02-11-2020 at 05:39 PM.

Jersy skiffs

I have some friends Dick and Bob that used to dominate in the Jersey speed skiff class. They had a 283 stock motor (blueprinted and perfect in every way but stone stock) that back then cost about $10,000. and a half a refrigerator box full of props that he said he spent $15,000. on. They used to try all kinds of stuff to get speed, A polished and waxed hull was several MPH slower than taking a sanding board with 60 grit and making long scratches the length of the boat. They had FHP clock them on radar going under a bridge over a lake.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    I have some friends Dick and Bob that used to dominate in the Jersey speed skiff class. They had a 283 stock motor (blueprinted and perfect in every way but stone stock) that back then cost about $10,000. and a half a refrigerator box full of props that he said he spent $15,000. on. They used to try all kinds of stuff to get speed, A polished and waxed hull was several MPH slower than taking a sanding board with 60 grit and making long scratches the length of the boat. They had FHP clock them on radar going under a bridge over a lake.
    I saw the Jersey Speed Skiffs race at Red Bank NJ back in early Ď70ís. About the only thing that could beat you up more was a Cracker Box.

For those that donít know what they are, here is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wldlanAnwps

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    I saw the Jersey Speed Skiffs race at Red Bank NJ back in early Ď70ís. About the only thing that could beat you up more was a Cracker Box.

For those that donít know what they are, here is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wldlanAnwps
    Too bad these boats didn't have trim tabs.....Saw similar boats racing at Kent Island, MD back in the 90's

Jackie that video you posted was after they got out of skiff racing. The cage on the boats in the video was the reason they quite. They were both sure that in a survivable crash that the cage would kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Jackie that video you posted was after they got out of skiff racing. The cage on the boats in the video was the reason they quite. They were both sure that in a survivable crash that the cage would kill you.
    We raced in open boats, with a chute jacket. If you went over, (I did twice), you want to get pulled as far away from the boat as possible.

Now, some K Boats have closed cockpits, much lie you see on Unlimited Hydroplanes.

Engine still on the dyno and testing will continue late this week or early next week. So far, it looks like we have a repeatable 4-5 h.p. increase over last season. Next testing will be four different NHRA accepted fuels: two from Sunoco and two from V.P. Last session, the V.P. C11 was the best but we've changed cam timing and a few other things since then. -Al