Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Cool Butyl Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    I saved my money, and it took quite a while and bought some Bucrons for my 50 Chev long coupe. It had a 302 Jimmy 6cyl. Couldn't keep a tranny in it. This was in the 1959-1962 era. Bucrons didn't last a couple months and then I had to buy crappy used tires from the junkyard or used tire shop. The car had a small block and late model "1955" open drive shaft. I bought it without eng. or trans. The engine came out of my ugly 1950 2dr fast back. The floorshift was a Fenton I believe. Changed to an 8volt battery and tweeked the voltage regulator to charge it. Went through a lot of light bulbs and so forth before finding out about voltage reducers.
    Oh yeah, I had bucket seats before my buddies. It had 2 delivery van front seats. Felt like sitting on wood bleachers, but was way cool.
    Butch, were Bucrons the tires with Butyl rubber tread? If so, I put a pair on the rear of the '61 Pontiac Ventura, 389 TriPower and 4-speed for supposed better traction. The treads just slobbered away under power. Didn't make that mistake again!

Quote Originally Posted by vlcakc View Post
    Butch, were Bucrons the tires with Butyl rubber tread? If so, I put a pair on the rear of the '61 Pontiac Ventura, 389 TriPower and 4-speed for supposed better traction. The treads just slobbered away under power. Didn't make that mistake again!

They appeared like the old brown gum rubber eraser. Worked great, but for not long. Your vehicle was one that I lusted for in 1961.

Worked for Standard Stations Inc. (company owned/run) back in the day. IIRC, The Atlas Bucron tires (hadn't heard that name in YEARS) had a wear Guarantee. If you wore them out, they would replace them for free. Made perfect street slicks. I think Chevron lost their butt on that deal.
    I'll date myself. The last time I went to the drags, Top Fuel was hitting 157 MPH.

Mike

I'm going to wing it and say 1957.

Mort

Sometime around there real close.

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    Sometime around there real close.
    Mike

Art Chrisman ran a 144 mph at Santa Ana on gas in 1954....... with a Ford Flathead no less. It wasn't going to take long for someone to better that with an overhead motor on fuel, which The NHRA allowed in 1957.

I have an Art Chrisman poster on my garage wall.....I took it from there.

Mort

Top Fuel engine technology in the year 2019. I took this of Billy Torrence's car at Brainerd this year. I like how they use a pressurized, micro switch activated oiler to deliver some oil through the injector nozzles into the blower to keep it from tearing off the Teflon strips on the rotors when they are off the throttle.

409 Race In Ohio

This was held August 23, 24, and 25th at Dragway 42 at West Salem Ohio. Around 30 cars. There was a couple of REAL Z11 cars there on display. Coincidentally this track is approximately 25 miles west of the Supershoot. Lot's of pics and links towards the end. I didn't race on Sunday as I tore the crap out of my hamstring Saturday night. The 4th time I tore it this year. I tripped on my trailer door cable. Spent 4 days in the hospital before flying home.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads...9-class.40605/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coots View Post
    This was held August 23, 24, and 25th at Dragway 42 at West Salem Ohio. Around 30 cars. There was a couple of REAL Z11 cars there on display. Coincidentally this track is approximately 25 miles west of the Supershoot. Lot's of pics and links towards the end. I didn't race on Sunday as I tore the crap out of my hamstring Saturday night. The 4th time I tore it this year. I tripped on my trailer door cable. Spent 4 days in the hospital before flying home.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads...9-class.40605/
    You know Dave, at your age you should be more careful. You old guys donít heal as fast as you used to.

No kidding Francis. The good news is that I should get this immobilizer off come November.

Thatís good news; my immobilizer has been on for about ten years. Or it would seem.

Dave
    Good to hear from you. Wondered why you hadn't posted something about your meet. If your on the mend its all good.

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coots View Post
    I didn't race on Sunday as I tore the crap out of my hamstring Saturday night. The 4th time I tore it this year. I tripped on my trailer door cable. Spent 4 days in the hospital before flying home.
    Painful injury, for sure. Glad you're on the mend, Dave. After almost tripping on those before, I use some colored foam floaty sticks over the door cables.

Take care. -Al

Thanks Mort and Al. I thought I was pretty tough but I passed out from the pain twice. I did have the pool thingys on the cables. I had pulled up close to the door to load the car to hook up the winch cable. But I waited until dark to pull it in. Not much room between the car and cables. I'll have a pair of orange construction cones next year. Had a miss the first pass Friday. Coil was junk. Fixed that and had problems with the line lock and 2 step Saturday. Last pass Saturday was second best ever during a match race. I was really looking forward to the eliminations Sunday.

Dave

Two things I remember from years back.
    #1 $peed co$t money. How fast do you want to go?
    #2 You can sleep in your car but you can't drive your house to the store.