Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Ran at Earlville, Iowa last weekend. Working with the pinion angle and changing the instant center on the rear suspension kept the front end lower on the launch while driving it out further before it settled down. Nibbled away a few more .001's of a second.

The car responded with it's best yet, 11.102 @ 117.53 into a 8-10 mph headwind. The G/SA NHRA index is 12.00. In other words, the car was -.898 under the NHRA National Index for G/SA.

The work continues!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Ran at Earlville, Iowa last weekend. Working with the pinion angle and changing the instant center on the rear suspension kept the front end lower on the launch while driving it out further before it settled down. Nibbled away a few more .001's of a second.

The car responded with it's best yet, 11.102 @ 117.53 into a 8-10 mph headwind. The G/SA NHRA index is 12.00. In other words, the car was -.898 under the NHRA National Index for G/SA.

The work continues!

"That's how my '70 Nova looked, only sky blue instead of white"......

IN MY DREAMS!!!

Nice shot

That is great Al.

Good show!

Mort

The work continues!

Al, what would you attribute the continuing performance gains in the Stock classes too, giving the restrictions within the class structure. Engine refinements? Suspension? Less rolling resistance.

I know the performance gains are measured in small increments in these classes, but it's the little things that add up.

Buddy Ingersoll ran a 7.20 beating a whining Ricky Smith with his 4.4 V-6. I guess he isn't allowed to run it in Pro Stock anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Buddy Ingersoll ran a 7.20 beating a whining Ricky Smith with his 4.4 V-6. I guess he isn't allowed to run it in Pro Stock anymore.

But, that was a long time ago in a galaxy far away

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Al, what would you attribute the continuing performance gains in the Stock classes too, giving the restrictions within the class structure. Engine refinements? Suspension? Less rolling resistance.

I know the performance gains are measured in small increments in these classes, but it's the little things that add up.
    Honestly Jackie...it's a little bit of everything. One change on these things will generally require you to look further for the true gains.

A good example is the headers I use. They are a set of stainless Cal Elston built tri-y design with a merge collector. The primary tube off the head is profiled to exactly match the shape/size of the exhaust port...in essence, making the exhaust port 'think' it's longer and giving the exhaust gases more velocity. Because of that, there was less reversion (exhaust contaminating the fresh intake charge). Since the exhaust had become more efficient, the amount of overlap on the cam could be reduced. Then, changing the lobe separation on the cam helped some more. With that done, the carb didn't need to be so rich at high rpm...a major quirk of the QJet. After some work on the high speed air bleeds on the carb, there was some more gain. So, while the headers alone didn't make any more power or torque, the subsequent changes allowed the headers to work to their potential.

The final result was a gain of 11 h.p. and close to 20 lbs/ft of torque. On track, those changes were worth close to .12 to .14, a significant gain. But the headers alone really didn't show anything....but they showed there was more left on the table.

The torque convertor is a similar deal. By going to a more efficient stator design, the rpm gap between where the convertor 'flashes' to and where the 1-2 shift needs to be before it lays back on the convertor (kind of re-flashes) has been reduced by 40 percent. Because of that, I can now get the car out of low gear 400 rpm lower. Most of the drag in an automatic trans is in low gear, so not dragging that spinning assy up an additional 400 rpm picked the car up .02-.03.

It's a lot like a BR case: You get the free bore length...to match where you want the base of the bullet to be...so you can have the amount of powder in the case...to reach the velocity node you want to be in.

Plans of the off season are a bit up in the air. I'd like to work with the ring package a bit more to see if there's some 'free' power to be found. There are rumors of some possible rule changes, so we'll have to see.

Good shootin'. -Al
    Last edited by Al Nyhus; 09-09-2019 at 10:05 AM.

My pal Wayne Denklau driving Gene Bichlmeier's '55 Chevy SS/O 265 inch wagon at the U.S. Nationals at Indy two weeks ago. Don't let Wayne's "Aw shucks" demeanor fool 'ya...he and Gene are smart, smart racers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=lQKyvPr-78w

My pal Wayne Denklau driving Gene Bichlmeier's '55 Chevy SS/O 265 inch wagon at the U.S. Nationals at Indy two weeks ago. Don't let Wayne's "Aw shucks" demeanor fool 'ya...he and Gene are smart, smart racers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=lQKyvPr-78w
    Wow, a 265!

That brings back memories. The very first Hot Rod engine my oldest brother built back in the late '50's was a 265 pulled out of a wrecked 55 sedan. He put it in a 48 Chevy Fleetline.

Jahns Pistons, 30/30 cam, pinned rocker studs, AFB, lots of compression, heads ported by one of the local gurus, and.........no oil filter.

He had put a I-Beam front axel under it, it had a four speed going into a Cadillac Rear End with 5.14 gears. Of course he had a set of headers with cutouts made from oil canisters.

That little motor would rev like a die grinder.

Those were the days.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 09-09-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Wow, a 265!

That brings back memories. The very first Hot Rod engine my oldest brother built back in the late '50's was a 265 pulled out of a wrecked 55 sedan. He put it in a 48 Chevy Fleetline.

Jahns Pistons, 30/30 cam, pinned rocker studs, AFB, lots of compression and.........no oil filter.

He had put a I-Beam front axel under it, it had a four speed going into a Cadillac Rear End with 5.14 gears.

Those were the days.
    Wasn't that a WCFB?

Jackie
    I could be wrong but I think your brothers rear end is from a Caddy hearse.

One of the guys at the shipyard raced an early 50 something Pontiac and couldn't find any after market gears for it. He scored some low gears at a wrecking yard out of an early Pontiac hearse.

Just a thought.

Pin the rocker studs? You bet! Pulling one out at high rpm could get pretty expensive !

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 09-09-2019 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Wasn't that a WCFB?
    Butch, the carb came off of a 1957 Pontiac 347 that was being parted out at Pearson’s Junk Yard. I’m pretty sure it was a AFB.

I remember he almost bought that Hydramatic Transmission, (remember that beast), but Pearson had several manual four speeds that would bolt right up. Back then Morgan Clutches were the hot ticket.

The second engine he built, which I helped with, was a bored out 283 out of a ‘57 4-door. He used the same 30-30 cam, but scored a set of “power pack” heads that Tommy Thacker had ported. He had a duel carb manifold with two WCFB’s on top. Tommy, who had a distributor machine, set up a cast iron body duel point for it.

This was back when we called a 1/8 bored 283 a “301”. By then he had stripped the old ‘48 Fleetline down to nothing, added some traction bars, and Atlas Bucrons on the rear. We made a set of 8 inch rims by chucking up 4 rims and parting out the halves so you had 4 long sides. Weld them together and bingo, 8 inch rims.

That 301 was a real screamer. We learned all about valve float. Isky springs, (I think), cured that.

Those were the days of real hot rodding. 13 to 1 compression, Gulf Crest gasoline. Junk yards were a treasure trove for parts that you visited for the fun of it.

His next engine was going to be a 409. But he got drafted.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 09-09-2019 at 10:34 PM.

I saved my money, and it took quite a while and bought some Bucrons for my 50 Chev long coupe. It had a 302 Jimmy 6cyl. Couldn't keep a tranny in it. This was in the 1959-1962 era. Bucrons didn't last a couple months and then I had to buy crappy used tires from the junkyard or used tire shop. The car had a small block and late model "1955" open drive shaft. I bought it without eng. or trans. The engine came out of my ugly 1950 2dr fast back. The floorshift was a Fenton I believe. Changed to an 8volt battery and tweeked the voltage regulator to charge it. Went through a lot of light bulbs and so forth before finding out about voltage reducers.
    Oh yeah, I had bucket seats before my buddies. It had 2 delivery van front seats. Felt like sitting on wood bleachers, but was way cool.

My 40

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-08-19_175009.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	22882

I really liked the shape of the Ford coupes but the Standard model was my favorite. Instead of the blister, the Standard hood flowed right into the fender line.

Another thing about the Standard as opposed to the Deluxe...they only came with one tail light. The correct tail light for the 40 is two inverted chevrons and I think they look fine. The 39 teardrop tail light were favored by rodders and they appear on many of the earlier Ford hotrods.

Mine are blue dot taillights and aren't legal in some states but I never heard of anyone being pulled over for having them.

They were an aftermarket thing you could find at an auto accessory store: along with dual spotlights, chrome exhaust tips, moon hub caps and a shrunken head to hang on your rearview mirrow.

Were we cool or what!

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 09-10-2019 at 10:53 PM.