Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Yea it is on Super Chevy.com

Nailhead

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Wow, Mike, you are showing your age.

Those first generation Hemi's have to be the coolest street rod engine ever, except for maybe a Buick Nail Head.

I have never admitted to being much of anything except an old Hot Rodder, my wife asked me why in the world I wanted that gosh awful monster I just had installed in the Chevelle, and the best answer I can give her is 'because".

I love modern Hot Rodding. We can all remember when all you had a choice of was reworked Factory stuff, or extremely expensive aftermarket parts. The very first set of Air Flow Reasearch Heads I ever owned was in 1977 back in my Boat Racing days. They were the old 'snow flake' Chevy aluminum castings, with the exaust side welded up, raised, and D-Ported, then angle milled 1/4 inch. In todays dollars, what I had to give for those heads would have cost $20,000.

Now, it's a matter of making a choice for the application you want. It's amazing the selection of heads, blocks, cranks, cams, induction systems, etc, that is no more than a phone call away. 496 cubic inches used to be the practical limit, now it's middle of the road. I stopped at 540 inches simply because I did not want to go to a tall block, too much hassle getting everything in the car.

We used to make street horsepower with 13 to 1 compression, big flat tappet cams, and hogged out stock heads. No idle, no vaccuum, ill tempererd, and you had to rev the darn thing untill the belts came off. Now, you can build a massive cubic inch engine, get heads that flow big numbers with maximum port velocity, Hyd Roller Cams that are computer designed to be perfectly compatible with the other parts, and you have a rather "mild" engine that will shred the tires, scare the cr-p out of you, but idle smooth, have great vacuum, run cool, and make lots of power down where you can use it.

These are great times for Hot Rodders.
    My uncle had a 32 with a nailhead. Had to lengthen the frame to make it fit.
    Last edited by chriscovell; 05-26-2019 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Adding picture

I agree with Nick. I don't go to the races unless it's someone I know and they are entering a car. Other than that I get bored as a spectator. Once you have a seat in a stick car for a couple years (D/G) the rest of it is pretty tame.

Mort

My old Gasser

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0020.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	22427 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0021.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	22428
    Last edited by dmort; 05-27-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Name:	0011.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	22430

This car was out of Blairs Speed Shop in So Cal. It .was the quickest D/G car on the west coast The car was pretty light so they ran a 283.

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 05-27-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Half Moon Bay back in the day

Name:	0008.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	339.7 KB 
ID:	22432 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0005.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	431.7 KB 
ID:	22433 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0006.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	518.0 KB 
ID:	22434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0004.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	450.4 KB 
ID:	22435

I raced here until it closed.

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 05-28-2019 at 03:09 PM.

hang over

Nick told that when they took the car to Detroit to Ramchargers to get the motor. The guys that built the motor wanted to install it. Nick said not to far into the installation one of the wrench twisters broke off a coarse bolt in a hole that had fine threads. Nick found a piece of tail pipe with a cherry bomb muffler on the end and chased the mech. around the shop till Ollie and Pete tackled him. They drug him out to the truck and headed for a strip club. Pete called the shop and told them to have the motor in and running by morning, he didn't care what it cost. Nick said if my head wasn't throbbing I would have found the tailpipe and finish the job, but I was in no condition to do any thing but moan. Latter in the day they arrived at a track and started to set the car up, he said it was worth it cause it was fast.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscovell View Post
    My uncle had a 32 with a nailhead. Had to lengthen the frame to make it fit.
    Nailheads can be a tough fit with the starter on the left side. Tends to get really close to the steering column. I put one in my '33 3-window Ford:

It's a 0.060" over 401 with compression bumped to 12:1 (and a really big cam). Runs on race fuel but is pretty stout. Nailheads may not rev like other engines and they don't produce the big HP figures....but they develop gobs of torque in the mid-range. My old 401 was 445 ft/lbs @ 2,800 rpm stock.

-Lee
    www.singleactions.com
    Last edited by Lee Martin; 05-30-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Lee, I'm sure you remember "Mr Nail Head" TV Tommy Ivo.

http://www.tommyivo.com/_PagesDragRa...Dragsters.html

I got to see the 4 engine monster run in a Match race back in the early '60's. It literally smoked all four tires half way down the track.

Your car brings back a lot of memories.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Nick told that when they took the car to Detroit to Ramchargers to get the motor. The guys that built the motor wanted to install it. Nick said not to far into the installation one of the wrench twisters broke off a coarse bolt in a hole that had fine threads. Nick found a piece of tail pipe with a cherry bomb muffler on the end and chased the mech. around the shop till Ollie and Pete tackled him. They drug him out to the truck and headed for a strip club. Pete called the shop and told them to have the motor in and running by morning, he didn't care what it cost. Nick said if my head wasn't throbbing I would have found the tailpipe and finish the job, but I was in no condition to do any thing but moan. Latter in the day they arrived at a track and started to set the car up, he said it was worth it cause it was fast.

Name:	2019-05-30_153414.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	22454

Yeah, road trips can be eventful. Sometimes we would travel as a group when going to a big meet in So. Cal. We always stayed in the cheapest place near the track. Some of these places left a little to be desired. Everyone towed in open trailers but we never had any problems with vandalism....maybe we were just lucky. One time I made a comment on how well dressed the ladies were. My best friend Bob, who at that time was a cop, informed me they were hookers.....duh! The next night a pimp who knew why we were there offered us some "go fast". We were all laughing because he didn't know Bob was a cop. He left without ever knowing. We were giving Bob a bad time for not flashing his badge and his response was to moon us.

On another trip that I missed, there was a chalk line in the parking lot that had outlined the victim of a homicide. As a reference to a time and place it was later called "The Chalk Line Motel".
    Last edited by dmort; 05-30-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Lee, I'm sure you remember "Mr Nail Head" TV Tommy Ivo.

http://www.tommyivo.com/_PagesDragRa...Dragsters.html

I got to see the 4 engine monster run in a Match race back in the early '60's. It literally smoked all four tires half way down the track.

Your car brings back a lot of memories.
    Tommy made exhibition runs at Half Moon Bay with his 4 wheel drive car.....nice photos and I learned a little more about him.

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 05-31-2019 at 01:48 AM.

Never saw Ivo's four Buick run in person Jackie, but I've seen pictures. Talk about tire smoke. I did see the car in person however at Garlits' museum. I took a bunch of close-up pictures. I'll post them here once I dig them out.

-Lee
    www.singleactions.com

My 66 SS 396 and 66 Vet

Name:	2019-05-31_162315.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	22455 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0012.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	22456

Jackie

These are old photos. The Vet is still in the family.....my son has it.

Mort

Exhibition Race Cars

I think the earliest drag race exhibition car was Art Arfons "Green Monster".It was powered by an Allison aircraft engine. The dragster is in the photos I posted from Half Moon Bay. He later went to a jet powered car.

Mort