Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

The Fairmont is basically a Fox body type chassis with a wagon body. All Mustang parts are plug and play. The car spec curb weight is 2800. The Chevy 210 is around 3330#. A new ZO6 is 3550# and a new Mustang GT is around 3700#. Most things (HP) being close the car hurts feelings on a regular basis. I drive it daily.

Quote Originally Posted by David Apple View Post
    The Fairmont is basically a Fox body type chassis with a wagon body. All Mustang parts are plug and play. The car spec curb weight is 2800. The Chevy 210 is around 3330#. A new ZO6 is 3550# and a new Mustang GT is around 3700#. Most things (HP) being close the car hurts feelings on a regular basis. I drive it daily.
    A real sleeper.....I like it.

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 05-13-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Al, Jackie, Dave,...thank you. My garage has changed a little bit. Gone are the 2 seaters. Being a little older now I decided a milder ride was in order.
    I am not a Ford guy but that is so friggin' cool I might just start haunting craigslist to get me some a' dat!

This was my last street fighter, circa 2014. It was built to be a sleeper with very few outward details. Other than the lowered stance from the Steeda suspension, it looked like nothing more than a super clean Fox body notchback.

The good pieces you couldn't see were the Powerdyne supercharger, high flow fuel system, BBK headers, 4.10's, all the Steeda suspension pieces, Rousch brakes, etc. With the 5 speed, it was a lot of fun and about all the power you could actually put to the street and use. Car was 2,850 with a half tank of VP C12 in the Jack Rousch 'Big Tank'. It cornered like it was on rails.

Clean ride Al.

My on track experiences were not great. The red Cobra had the Jag rear which was originally designed for 136 horsepower and a 185 size tire, not 500 horsepower and a 315 drag radial. Carnage ensued before logic interceded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75-80.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	22378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-27_09-21-08_75.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	22379  
    Last edited by David Apple; 05-14-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Oh,
    Too much powder and too much neck tension.

Clean ride Al.

My on track experiences were not great. The red Cobra had the Jag rear which was originally designed for 136 horsepower and a 185 size tire, not 500 horsepower and a 315 drag radial. Carnage ensued before logic interceded.
    I have never seen a drive shaft look that bad!

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    I have never seen a drive shaft look that bad!

Mort
    That's the half shaft that goes to the wheel. Jag IRS suspension.

Thats why it looks so short.
    \
    My 63 and 66 Corvettes also had independent rear suspension The GM rear end was pretty weak but not as bad as the Jag.

Mort

A pal had a '87-ish Jag XJS. Beautiful car...white with camel leather. The original engine went four up and he did the sensible thing and bought a top of the line conversion kit and put a bone stock 350 Chevy and a Turbo 350 trans in it. That thing would go through those half shaft/axles like a meth addict on pay day.

He named it 'Spaghetti Betty' in honor of those toothpicks.

On the other hand

This blue Cobra was an animal of a different kind. 545 cubic inch motor that made 825 on the motor alone. Good thing the Vortech never got mounted. I have driven a few cars that were 'fast'. This car was stupid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-11_17-25-39_61.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	22380  

and not

This blue Cobra was an animal of a different kind. 545 cubic inch motor that made 825 on the motor alone. Good thing the Vortech never got mounted. I have driven a few cars that were 'fast'. This car was stupid.
    a spot of oil on the floor!

It's in my head from some where that the center section of a Jag (housing, ring and pinion) was 9 inch Ford. I would imagine if that were true that that much of it was tough enough? My friend Nike built a 63 Vette back in 63 and 64 that the owner wanted to retain the independ rear and they made the center from a Dana 60 and made all the rest of the parts by hand. It was tough enough to handle a hemi the made 750hp, back in the day that was a lot of power. If you have power and hook up you need good drive train. If the tires or the power are missing drive train need not be much.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    It's in my head from some where that the center section of a Jag (housing, ring and pinion) was 9 inch Ford. I would imagine if that were true that that much of it was tough enough? My friend Nike built a 63 Vette back in 63 and 64 that the owner wanted to retain the independ rear and they made the center from a Dana 60 and made all the rest of the parts by hand. It was tough enough to handle a hemi the made 750hp, back in the day that was a lot of power. If you have power and hook up you need good drive train. If the tires or the power are missing drive train need not be much.
    A Mopar Hemi in an almost new Corvette? That's blasphemy! Hey....different strokes for different folks, aka, there's an a.. hole for every seat.

The Vette big block arrived in mid 65 (396) and the 427 the following year with h.p. up to 450. Standing start (street or racetrack) caused some serious issues with the I.R.S. drivetrain. Drag racers preferred the earlier straight axle Vette for traction. These cars ran NHRA Sports or Modified Sports Classes.

This is more info than anyone wants or cares to know but sometimes I can't stop myself.

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 05-18-2019 at 06:58 PM.

I haven't done much looking for this car on line. My friend worked for Ollie Olsen in West Palm Beach FL and they built the car for a rich guy from Tampa as I recall. When it was first built it had a 429 Ford which to my way of thinking is even worse than a Hemi. Ollie told the owner that with the Ford and the after market parts at the time they could not make it competitive. So after 1 year they went to the Hemi. My friend is Nick Zapetis and he said that the car was on the cover of every magazine about drag cars and hot rods that were in print in the 2 years they raced the car. There was a funny car by the same name years latter but this was the first car called the Mongoose. Ollie and my friend won the Motor Trend race car of the year award with this car and with Ollie's car the Willameaner. Ollie raced a Henry J for years and it was never as fast as he wanted to go so when he built the Willis he put a Hemi in it and it was definitely meaner than the Henry J. Nick told me that they were the very first to have an onboard fire extinguisher the had lines pointing at the engine and a line protecting the driver. Nick was an inspector for the NHRA at the national meets for years, I can't even drag him to the races anymore. He tells me he wants to see a driver drive the car not a computer.