Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

I have had this car since 1994, it has gone through a couple of reincarnations, the latest is all drive line oriented. Last Summer, I installed a new TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, and I just finished the installation on my new engine, a 540 cubic in Big Block.
    The engine features a Dart Big M Block, 4.5 bore, a SCAT 4 1/4 4340 Crank, Forged Flat Tops, Custom Hyd Roller Cam, .675 lift, .234 degrees duration at .050, Air Flow Research 290 CNC Ported Heads, and a port matched RPM Performer Intake, Lemons Headers, Rick's Stainless Steel Gas Tank. Compression is 9.8 to 1.

I specifically designed this engine to be a real street engine, burning what ever premium unleaded is in the pump, while making gobs of Horsepower and Torque down low in the RPM Band. On the Dyno, she made 662 HP at 5800 RPM, and 682 ft lbs of Torque at 4300. Idles smooth at 800 rpm with 14 inches of vacuum.

USA Race Engines built the engine for me.

This thing is absolutly brutal, the close ratio 6 Speed Auto has the perfect gear spread for this engine. When you nail it, it feels like the afterburners kick in.

While I am not able to shoot much due to a heavy work schedule at this time, I am still spending money on the one thing that counts, having fun.

Let's see some other cars

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chevelle6.jpg 
Views:	870 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	13483

Name:	chevelle2.jpg 
Views:	985 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	13484

Name:	chevelle9.jpg 
Views:	793 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	13485

Name:	chevelle3.jpg 
Views:	766 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	13486

Name:	chevelle11.jpg 
Views:	731 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	13487

Name:	chevelle5.jpg 
Views:	711 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	13488
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 02-24-2013 at 05:26 PM.

have to be a registered user to see the pics....

mike in co

Soooooooo.... How does she corner??? He he. Thats a lot of horsepower to get hooked up on the street. I once built a street car (sorta) with 750 horse. Was pretty much unusable and no fun at all to drive. No matter how sticky the tires there was no hope of getting it to hook.

Jackie, that sounds like an absolute beast .....

I'll bet that is a ball to drive!

Mine is from a little more modern era .... http://www.mdephoto.com/MDEPHOTO_Car...11_1dsm4001520 Mine is the white with grabber blue stripes. With the tune it is putting out a little more than 550 at the crank. Suspension is Ford Racing Performance Products and Rousch; other minor mods to engine cooling system, supercharger cooling system, and few other items that represent momentary lapses of any financial reason what-so-ever

Mike

i was never into big muscle cars..i followed and worked road racing, f1, canam, nascar on road courses.

i built a 1960 bug......VW BUG YOU SAY!!

TIME PERIOD..1972....
    1800 cc
    scat crank
    wild cam...one of two i owned both..power range was narrow..4500to 7500..with an 8000rpm limiter...
    car had a roll cage tied into suspension points
    no heater no radio no carperts
    fibreglass one pc hood and fenders...
    2" dropped front axle
    now this was a street car...daily driiver...25 mpg for 16 yrs
    two 2bbl webber carbs
    8000 rpm in 1/2...7500 rpm in 3rd....in 16 yrs never had it flat out in 4th.
    stock gear ratios but lots of durability mods to the transaxle.......including 5 mounting points.
    did do over 120...and the numbers say if you drop another 1000 rpm for 4th gear..top end would be 135+/-.....
    oh for the days when you could get real premium gas....
    raced it in hawaii....short road course type stuff( we had part of the new highway before it opened)
    it weighed all of 1500 lbs....
    it was stolen in 1981....fed hot car list...
    oppps i forgot...
    dry sump oil system scavanging pump and supply pump ...9 quart sys

mike in co
    Last edited by mike in co; 02-20-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    i was never into big muscle cars..i followed and worked road racing, f1, canam, nascar on road courses.

i built a 1960 bug......VW BUG YOU SAY!!

TIME PERIOD..1972....
    1800 cc
    scat crank
    wild cam...one of two i owned both..power range was narrow..4500to 7500..with an 8000rpm limiter...
    car had a roll cage tied into suspension points
    no heater no radio no carperts
    fibreglass one pc hood and fenders...
    2" dropped front axle
    now this was a street car...daily driiver...25 mpg for 16 yrs
    two 2bbl webber carbs
    8000 rpm in 1/2...7500 rpm in 3rd....in 16 yrs never had it flat out in 4th.
    stock gear ratios but lots of durability mods to the transaxle.......including 5 mounting points.
    did do over 120...and the numbers say if you drop another 1000 rpm for 4th gear..top end would be 135+/-.....
    oh for the days when you could get real premium gas....
    raced it in hawaii....short road course type stuff( we had part of the new highway before it opened)
    it weighed all of 1500 lbs....
    it was stolen in 1981....fed hot car list...
    oppps i forgot...
    dry sump oil system scavanging pump and supply pump ...9 quart sys

mike in co
    Hey Mikey,
    A couple guys on this forum know VWs. Be careful what you post.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeearly View Post
    I'll bet that is a ball to drive!

Mine is from a little more modern era .... http://www.mdephoto.com/MDEPHOTO_Car...11_1dsm4001520 Mine is the white with grabber blue stripes. With the tune it is putting out a little more than 550 at the crank. Suspension is Ford Racing Performance Products and Rousch; other minor mods to engine cooling system, supercharger cooling system, and few other items that represent momentary lapses of any financial reason what-so-ever

Mike
    Nice rides, Mike. Hot Rods are Hot Rods. Period.

My younger Brother has a CTS-V Cadillac Station Wagon that he ordered with a 6 speed standard last year. It comes off the showroom with that 565 HP supercharged LS engine. He just shipped his to Lingenfelter to get their stage 3 system installed. When he gets it back, it will have about 780 hp and a equal amount of torque. I have no idea what that thing is going to feel like.

I will try to access my Photobucket Account and get some picks.

Hot Rods and Muscle Cars are just a cool thing. I have owned a couple of these for many years, the old 49 Ford F-1 I built while stationed at Camp Pendleton back in 1977, if that truck could just talk. It has had 11 different engines in it over the years from a 454 to a buick nailhead. Today it sports a Desoto Hemi and a BW 4 speed. The little red pontiac is a 39 model and I built that one three years ago.

Roland
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F-1 Loading for Penn 004 (Small).jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	13463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2389 (Small).jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	13462  

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Let's see some other cars.
    Unlike some of you, my expertise was not on the power side of things, rather the looks. Restoration and paint.....here's a few of the older ones.
    67-65 Corvettes

67 Corvette

71 Jag XKE V-12 Coupe

57 FI Corvette

62 Corvette

....even dabbled in dune buggies for a short time....

Those are some great vintage pics, Al.

And that 409 Bel Aire Post Car is super cool. There couldn't have been many of those made.

If you love "W" motors, you will love this,..http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ail&FORM=VIRE3

Stack on a set of Edlebrock Heads and it's 1963 again, with a new twist.

Jackie, your Chevelle sounds like a killer street car! And you're right...the stuff available today is just amazin'.

A pal just finished a '63 Biscayne 2 dr sedan with a 409 and the Edelbrock heads. They make so much sense....the last set of 409/425 heads I sold were NIB finished castings in the orig. Chevrolet boxes and wrapped with the oiled paper packing..I got $1,800 for the pair. Now, a new set of alum. Edelbrock 'W' heads are $2500 complete and ready to bolt on! Here's an interesting fact on the 'W' 348-409 motors..the intake port spacing is almost identical to a Mopar 383-440. I've seen some slick 409 intakes made from a sheet alum. lifter valley cover and the plenum and runners from a B/RB motor welded to it. The last 409/425 motor I did went into a '63 Bel Aire 2 dr sedan (32,000 miles). The car won an Editors Choice award at the Super Chevy event at Indy.

Here's something that will make your heart ache..it's the original window sticker from a '63 Dodge 2 dr sedan 426 Max Wedge alum. front end car:

I still keep in touch with many of my old Super Stock pals in town and hit a race every once in a while. Most all of 'em have switched to the GT cars as they make better (safer) race cars with the relaxed rules on suspensions, etc. One of my pals won Best Engineered with his GT car. His son did all the chassis and tin work:

Another buddy runs this Grand Am in GT/LA and was the #1 qualifier at last weeks Winternationals in Super Stock:

I'm like a junkie with the drag race stuff...it's better if I just stay away. -Al

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Those are some great vintage pics, Al.

And that 409 Bel Aire Post Car is super cool. There couldn't have been many of those made.

If you love "W" motors, you will love this,..http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ail&FORM=VIRE3

Stack on a set of Edlebrock Heads and it's 1963 again, with a new twist.

Check out this build.
    http://www.348-409.com/forum/index.p...9-build.22051/

Another source for W blocks/heads. This build is being done with an aluminum block and heads from Bob Walla. It will be 520 ci and around 800hp they say. It will probably be in Thompson, Ohio the first weekend in June, along with probably 25 or so other W powered cars racing, and 30 or show just showing.

Later
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave Coots; 02-22-2013 at 08:56 PM.

speaking of oldies but goodies

i went out and function tested two new rifles this afternoon...
    a russian svt 40...semi auto 7.62x54r with sniper 3.5x post scope with 10 rd mag
    and a
    luxenburg fn 49 semi auto 30'06 with a 10x scope and 10 rd mag.....

the russian is from 1942 and the fn49 is from the 50's

first rounds fired in nearly 3 months.....needed the therapy

mike in co

ok, I got the pics added on my initial post. As you can see, I like blue........jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt View Post
    Unlike some of you, my expertise was not on the power side of things, rather the looks. Restoration and paint.....here's a few of the older ones.
    67 Corvette

57 FI Corvette

62 Corvette
    NICE vettes!