Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Crank

Mike

I have to ask this question. Why not a 409 crank ?
    Just curious.

Mort

Young, no $$$, no parts so I used what I could get my hands on. Seems like I got the crank out of the dealership machine shop along with the oil pan? Took close to a year to get parts together for the build. Only been 50+ years so memory isn't as good as it use to be. I do remember that it was a BITCH to start when it got hot. Too much compression, not enough starter.
    When I finally got rid on the 62, 3-2, 2-4s and a 6-2 manifolds were in the trunk along with a hot cam that set the idle at 4500 RPM.

Memory/Compression

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    Young, no $$$, no parts so I used what I could get my hands on. Seems like I got the crank out of the dealership machine shop along with the oil pan? Took close to a year to get parts together for the build. Only been 50+ years so memory isn't as good as it use to be. I do remember that it was a BITCH to start when it got hot. Too much compression, not enough starter.
    When I finally got rid on the 62, 3-2, 2-4s and a 6-2 manifolds were in the trunk along with a hot cam that set the idle at 4500 RPM.
    Mike
    Hear you on the memory issue, but I'm better recalling the past than what's currant....and that's not saying much.

When I drove my 55 on the street I was running Jahns 11.5/1 pop up pistons. I didn't have a timing light so I would back off the advance until it started and lock it down. That was when you could get 100+ octane at the Chevron white pump.

Mort

Some of the manifolds you mentioned would be collector items today.
    Last edited by dmort; 07-10-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    We were at Rock Falls, Wi. last weekend, just outside of Eau Claire. Got down to the final 6 cars out of 111 entries. Pretty good weekend, all in all. -Al

Way to go Al.

Bad sport/Good sport

When you are drag racing 1/10 of a second is forever. Depending on your trap speed your talking car lengths. I learned the light system grudge racing on Friday nights at Fremont Drag Strip. It was heads up no matter who you were racing. If you saw green you were late....

When the 55 was rebuilt to run NHRA class racing (more work then you can imagine unless you have done it). My routine was to dump the clutch on the last yellow. To do that I had to stage shallow...just bumping the second stage light until it was solid. I never got a red light using that proceedure and it never cost me a race.

One time I lined up against the Cherolis Brothers who had a machine shop next to Champion Speed Shop. This was the trophy run and I had these guys by 2/10....no problrem. When I staged I lit the second beam hard and for a millisecond I didn't know what to do. They caught a light (they had to) but I thought I could still catch them and then I missed the 2-3 shift...game over.
    We weren't buddies but I knew these guys. They were really happy campers but I couldn't find it in myself to congratulate them or talk to anybody.

I still remember that.

Mort

When the xmas tree system first came out the yellow lights came down slower so it was easy to anticipate the last light. The pro light system, which I think is in use everywhere comes down faster. It would take more seat time to get familiar with the system.
    Last edited by dmort; 07-12-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coots View Post
    Way to go Al.
    Thanks, Dave. Good luck at Earlville with your 409 this weekend. I'm headed to the new track in Onawa, Iowa this weekend for a two day Stock/Super Stock race.

Stay frosty this weekend. -Al

Twooooo days? Canít you get that thing to go any faster than that?

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    Twooooo days? Canít you get that thing to go any faster than that?
    It's just a Stocker....yawn. -Al

Al
    What is your E.T? I assume your under the index.

Don't break anything.

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    Al
    What is your E.T? I assume your under the index. Don't break anything. Mort
    Mort, my index in G/SA is 12.00. I've gone as quick as 11.14 (.86 under) in decent conditions. -Al

Don't yawn talking about your stocker...It would leave my old gasser in the weeds.

Go get em

Mort

Weekend racers

How did you guys do over the weekend?....Hope there wern't any problems.

Mort

This is also for Dave.
    Last edited by dmort; 07-19-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    How did you guys do over the weekend?....Hope there wern't any problems. Mort

This is also for Dave.
    I qualified #7 on Saturday (-.83 under) and #5 on Sunday (-.87 under). Went out second round both days. Second round Saturday I just drove the car too far before lifting and broke out by .002, Sunday second round my opponent was .016 on the tree and ran .003 over for a .019 'package' that was better than mine.

It was hot and humid....96 degrees and 80% humidity. Some recent changes have helped how the car runs in the nasty weather, though. -Al

Al
    Never had to race in ugly weather like that. Half Moon Bay could get pretty windy but it was cool and of course at sea level. Time always fell off a little going inland.

Your races are REALLY TIGHT and you gotta feel good when you make rounds. Better luck next time.

Mort

Fall

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-07-20_183007.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	22664

Car on house driveway...a skiff of snow fron the night before .

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 07-21-2019 at 11:30 AM.