Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

It was a bittersweet day yesterday as the car went to it's new owner. We accomplished more than I ever thought we could. If anyone would have told me in 2014 that we would eventually put the car in the 10's on the 12.00 index, I would have laughed at them. Lots of great people over the last years have helped...some more than they realize.

-Kevin Nyhus: A great brother that really loves racing.
    -Steve Koppien: You opened your shop and gave me the benefit of your experiences.
    -Matt Steen & Jason Verke @ Victory Engines: Killer good engine work and advice.
    -Bob Sherwood: You were generous with your dyno and your time.
    -John McLeod: Thanks for your positive energy.
    -Jim Marshall: Your long distance advice means a lot.
    -Ron Roddel: Paying it forward..helping me in so many ways. Rest in peace, my friend.

What’s your next project, Al? Turn around on cars takes a lot longer than rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    What’s your next project, Al? Turn around on cars takes a lot longer than rifles.
    Not sure, Francis. There's a couple of dinosaur digs going on in western South Dakota that need grunt labor, though. -Al

For True

Yep
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	958d2529a8487ecdf7f14f015248b568.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	24115  

?????

No more cars? or just some time off? My friend that raced in the 60s won't even go to the track. He says if I go to the races i want to see 2 people drive not 2 computers.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    No more cars? or just some time off? My friend that raced in the 60s won't even go to the track.
    Not sure where I go from here...we'll see what opportunities life puts out there. I'm on the BOD of Midwest Class Racers, the largest and most successful independent Stock/Super Stock association in the country. Last year, we promoted 22 Stock/Super Stock races in South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin. As NHRA continues to reduce the number of Sportsman cars at their events, the future of this type of racing is with independent organizations like ours. This season, we're folding the Heartland Stock/Super Stock association, based in eastern Iowa, in with MCR to further solidify that organization. While NHRA-style payouts are heavily weight at the top (Win/Runner Up/Semis), we pay bigger round money, start paying in the second round, and still pay good money to the winners. The formula works.

I was helping on the dyno Monday with this 327-250 Super Stock engine...the owner gave us free reign to do with it as we wished for tuning, jetting, cam timing, etc. It left making 12 more h.p. than it came in with!

This car is now local to me and available. I've never been much for flames but maybe they could grow on me.....?????

Last edited by Al Nyhus; 11-13-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Cool Hey Al

Wrong valve covers....Ha....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coots View Post
    Wrong valve covers....Ha....
    Not enough scallops????

For True....

Name:	RF.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	24138  

UHH OOHH better get Macco

Got a big laff..good stuff.

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Not sure where I go from here...we'll see what opportunities life puts out there. I'm on the BOD of Midwest Class Racers, the largest and most successful independent Stock/Super Stock association in the country. Last year, we promoted 22 Stock/Super Stock races in South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin. As NHRA continues to reduce the number of Sportsman cars at their events, the future of this type of racing is with independent organizations like ours. This season, we're folding the Heartland Stock/Super Stock association, based in eastern Iowa, in with MCR to further solidify that organization. While NHRA-style payouts are heavily weight at the top (Win/Runner Up/Semis), we pay bigger round money, start paying in the second round, and still pay good money to the winners. The formula works.

I was helping on the dyno Monday with this 327-250 Super Stock engine...the owner gave us free reign to do with it as we wished for tuning, jetting, cam timing, etc. It left making 12 more h.p. than it came in with!

This car is now local to me and available. I've never been much for flames but maybe they could grow on me.....?????

Al, reminds me of my long trip back from Phoenix AZ in 1979, already having decided that I was through with boat racing.

I still hated to see it leave. In the end, all I kept was my Lifejacket.

Of course, I was much younger then. I could move on to something else.

If you are like me, you have a real fear of being a “Useta”. One of those old guys and sits around talking about the things he “used to do”.

That’s probably why I still insist on working at 73. Why I tinker with my Chevelle, why I am so obsessed with extreme accuracy shooting.

I can’t stand the thought of seeing younger men enjoying life and I am left with..... “I used to do that”.

Good luck with your next endeavor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black lines.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	24154

Yesterday's dyno project....a '94-'96 265 inch 'Baby LT-1' Super Stock engine. These are unique engines that only came in the Impala taxi cabs for fleet service. Basically, it's a 265" engine with the intake/plenum/throttle body of the 350 inch LT-1's.

Dynoing a EFI engine gets pretty complex with it's stand alone ECU and high pressure fuel system. We ran into a snag with the wiring harness as it didn't have provisions to trigger the injectors from the Holley ECU like it was supposed to have from Holley......sigh.

We figured out an end-run around it but in the end a new harness from Holley was deemed the better option so as not to compromise the injector circuit. These things run close to 9,000 rpm so there are times it's best to regroup. This was one of those times!

We'll get back after it next week. -Al

Wow, a 265 incher
    I guess we have come a long way from the original.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1607606621

Name:	D401B0BB-3655-411C-9F78-DBDC8E9B0719.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	24193  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 12-10-2020 at 11:54 AM.