Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would it be possible to chamber both ends of a barrel?

Would it be possible to chamber both ends of a barrel?

Would it be possible to chamber both ends of a barrel for fire forming purposes? What I mean by this is maybe chamber one end for a Dasher and the other for a PPC or something? Just thread on the end you need to make cases for.

Yes, I know guys who have done it.

James

Yes, and a fireform barrel need not be full length.

Just make it legal length to avoid problems

Obvious question....

How would it shoot? I know it's fireforming, but would such a "complicated crown" shoot any "worse" than any other crown as long as it's centered. My guess is that it may not.

Regards, Ron

Quote Originally Posted by RJM View Post
    How would it shoot? I know it's fireforming, but would such a "complicated crown" shoot any "worse" than any other crown as long as it's centered. My guess is that it may not.

Regards, Ron
    To perform to its potential, a crown needs to be uniform, square and have the same diameter as the bore, to give consistant gas release.
    As the throat started to wear, and it became the crown or muzzle, i think acuracy would suffer.
    You would definately have minute of varmint, if that is your goal
    Jim

Chambering both ends has a side benefit - you can test both a right hand and a left hand twist with one barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
    Chambering both ends has a side benefit - you can test both a right hand and a left hand twist with one barrel.
    I don't see how that's possible. It'll be RH no matter which end you use.

When you chamber it, you have to make sure to mark the ends - either "R" or "L". After you test with one end, you simply unscrew the barrel, switch it end for end, screw her back in and you're set. I mean, it's simple geometry, or triggernomitry, or one of these "trys" that you learned in high school.

I have a Patent Applied For, but it hasn't been issued as yet. So you're welcome to try it for free. I learned it from Alinwa.
    Last edited by Cheechako; 02-10-2013 at 07:39 PM.

When you chamber it, you have to make sure to mark the ends - either "R" or "L". After you test with one end, you simply unscrew the barrel, switch it end for end, screw her back in and you're set. I mean, it's simple geometry, or triggernomitry, or one of these "trys" that you learned in high school.

I have a Patent Applied For, but it hasn't been issued as yet. So you're welcome to try it for free. I learned it from Alinwa.

You're not Cheech from the legendary duo are you?

You'l have to clean the chamber at the end as it fills with all the powder fouling. Cutting the barrel in half would be the easiest route.

Al is right..

.... and you run the risk of meeting yourself coming & going.

Regards, Ron

You should have saved this for April 1st!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W View Post
    I don't see how that's possible. It'll be RH no matter which end you use.
    In fact you're correct. No matter which end, etc - if it's a RH twist it's always a RH twist.

Well unless you have "diamond type" flutes in the barrel & the flutes work automatically reversible... but forget it.

seb.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM View Post
    Would it be possible to chamber both ends of a barrel for fire forming purposes? What I mean by this is maybe chamber one end for a Dasher and the other for a PPC or something? Just thread on the end you need to make cases for.
    Just a thought, why don't just use/buy a used barrel for the Dasher or the PPC w/ "identical" reamer for fire forming? that (the cost) should be relatively cheap on your side.

seb.