Thread: 30br New Build Canuck needs a little help

30br New Build Canuck needs a little help

Looking into building 30br because its so hard to get supplies etc from USA I am limited to actions I could use
    There is a Canadian dealer for Pierce actions looking at there light weight Titanium or one of there other Chrome-moly actions, can also get Borden actions.
    Barrels available: Hart,Kreiger, Shilen & Tru Flite. twist 1/17 or 1/18 ??
    Need a reamer I like JGS as there reamers seem to match there specs not like some others I have used.
    Have a benchrest Robertson stock.
    Would be shooting score & group if 30br is okay for group shooting?
    Is anyone using the 6.5 by 47 lapua case work in a 30cal Benchrest rifle ?? or just stay with the 6mmbr necked up

Thanks in advance for any info
    manitou

Springboro, OH. That's between Dayton and Cinci
    You need to think about the 10.5 vs 13.5 lb issue. For score, it's hands down a 13.5 lb. For group, you're better off building a 10.5. Just me, but I want 13.5 lbs for the 30 BR. You might work with someone to see if you can build a switch barrel with a weight system. It sure is easier to build a no compromises gun at one weight or the other, though.

FWIW, Greg J.

Quote Originally Posted by manitou210 View Post
    Is anyone using the 6.5 by 47 lapua case work in a 30cal Benchrest rifle ?? or just stay with the 6mmbr necked up

manitou
    I have two 30x47's utilizing that brass and they shoot extremely well. I use them at Groundhog matches out to 400 and 500yds. IMO it is a little better than the 30BR at the longer distances.
    Dick

Better yet build that rifle with a weight system and have both a heavy and a light varmint.

Gerry whats a weight system ??
    Manitou
    Thanks everyone for replying to post

Manitou you can get whatever action you want into Canada imported through Prophet River. You are looking at about 1 year+ if you order action of your choosing.

I believe Stillers are also had at Hirsch Precision.

Calvin

One of the most interesting and well built actions I have seen is a Titanium one built by Gaulin in Canada. I believe they are still in business, why fight the system when you have great stuff at hand.