Thread: From Down Under - Thank you for your help during these bushfires

From Down Under - Thank you for your help during these bushfires

We have a bit of a problem here in Australia as you might have heard.

It was great to see the arrival of firefighting experts from the U.S. arriving in Melbourne to back up the 160 people already here.
    The people at the terminal clapped loudly as we do appreciate all help during these times.

My local firearms dealer has offered free ammunition to licenced people/farmers to put down injured stock.

I just nipped outside as I heard the sound of another water-bombing helicopter dipping it's bucket into Lake Hume.

I am next to the lake, a few days ago there was enough smoke to trip the smoke detectors if I opened the door to the workshop. Normally they only do that if I am brazing.

Here is a linky to the local area. https://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/

So once again. Thank you all.

* doggie *

A question.

Are the fires in this part of Australia a recent phenomena or have they been a part of the natural cycle for eons?

As you know, California is our fire State, or at least the one that gets all of the press. High winds and dry conditions at a certain time of the year allow fires to spread at an alarming rate. This cycle has been going on since time began, but of course is a acute problem now because people have built expensive homes in these areas, which are great places to live minus the fires.

Anyway, we can only wish you the best of luck. I canít imagine the feeling of watching your lifeís work go up in flames and being helpless to stop it.

and California's
    "do not manage the forests"
    has left tons of dead wood as a fuel to burn.
    political failure to act is a large cause of the SIZE of some of the fires in ca.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    A question.

Are the fires in this part of Australia a recent phenomena or have they been a part of the natural cycle for eons?

As you know, California is our fire State, or at least the one that gets all of the press. High winds and dry conditions at a certain time of the year allow fires to spread at an alarming rate. This cycle has been going on since time began, but of course is a acute problem now because people have built expensive homes in these areas, which are great places to live minus the fires.

Anyway, we can only wish you the best of luck. I canít imagine the feeling of watching your lifeís work go up in flames and being helpless to stop it.