Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Accurate American Made .22 RF ....????

Most Accurate American Made .22 RF ....????

I`m going to try my hand at barnyard benchrest.( similar to BR-50 but with hunting guns )....Requirements are Am.made with Am.ammo....
    any help would be appreciated.
    thanks
    bill larson

cpeters is offline just me no fake name here
    Remington 541?

Remington

40x

That is a good start and in the right direction for developeing a new game that would give folks a compitition that might save some money , give people that are sick of the high pricees a break and maybe be as much fun as what we all have had before. The only draw back is American ammo is not competitive and no good. garrisone.

Cooper Rifles, 57 action. Jackson Squirrel Rifle as an example. or TRP-3

what price range? the cooper trp-3 is about $500 or more less than a 40x

Ammo. While not the same as before, Federal 711B is a good performer for outdoor work. Actually, I miss Federal 900B....

Quote Originally Posted by Asa Yam View Post
    Ammo. While not the same as before, Federal 711B is a good performer for outdoor work. Actually, I miss Federal 900B....
    I agree. I was fortunate to find 2K of 900B a year ago and bought it reasonably. It shoots very well. But, the new RWS Federal 922A shoots very well also. I simply can't get any Eley, Red or black box, to shoot well in my long barrel 37, 52 or 40X. A friend says that the 1050 ish ammo is not a good in long barrels. Based on what I've seen he may be right. Any experience with Eley in older, long barreled rimfires? Tks --Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Asa Yam View Post
    It has been rumored that RWS is makeing or has made the federal 900b and some other federal ammo and will stop makeing the 900b for federal. garrisone

Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    I agree. I was fortunate to find 2K of 900B a year ago and bought it reasonably. It shoots very well. But, the new RWS Federal 922A shoots very well also. I simply can't get any Eley, Red or black box, to shoot well in my long barrel 37, 52 or 40X. A friend says that the 1050 ish ammo is not a good in long barrels. Based on what I've seen he may be right. Any experience with Eley in older, long barreled rimfires? Tks --Greg
    Eley Tenex and Match and WW Super Match Mk III always shot well in the Martini International 29 inch barrels!

Quote Originally Posted by garrisone View Post
    It has been rumored that RWS is makeing or has made the federal 900b and some other federal ammo and will stop makeing the 900b for federal. garrisone
    AFAIK, Federal was the only maker of 900, 900B, 1000, and 1000B. Rumor I heard was their match .22 line was closed when a bean counter from CCI (this was after Federal was bought by Alliant Techsystems) noted they weren't making money from these products. Oh, CCI didn't have an axe to grind - especially when Federal .22 match ammo outshot Green Tag....

Repackaged lots of .22 match ammo after this point didn't help Federal's reputation. Small lots of ammo were repackaged into larger batches, based solely on muzzle velocity. Works great in theory, but completely failed to account for changes in lead, lubrication, and powder type. Ever wonder why some of the final batches wouldn't shoot well? Now you know.

All 5 of my Mod 37 Remingtons are sure accurate.
    Butch

I don't really know if this is true or not, but I'd guess that most any serious American made .22 match rifle is quite capable after being rebarreled. Both my 52's fall into this category. Where I'm not sure is if it is cheaper, in the long run, to rebarrel than to search for lots of ammunition that work well in a particular barrel.

A RF prone shooter in the Southwest made that observation -- given all the high-dollar ammunition he had, he felt it was cheaper to get several barrels than to continually search for ammunition that fit one barrel. I don't have enough experience to do anything but pass on that thought.

Kimber 82. I think CMP still sells them

My 1956 Winchester 52 is a keeper for me.