Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrel length

barrel length

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and was just looking for a bit of advice, I have a Anschutz 2013 with a 19 inch barrel, is there a disadvantage in having a barrel this short for 22 bench rest and what are your thoughts on the BR50 stock,
    cheers
    Billy Mc
    UK

I have had 2 BR50's. The factory stock is short in the forend [which requires more weight in the butt to offset longer bbls with tuners], the forend is narrower than the 3" norm [ makes the gun more susceptible to rolling in the bags], the comb is way too high [ requires tall rings ], the bottom of the stock would be better if it were parallel to the bore line and had a 1/2" flat bottom , a hard buttplate would be better, the grip area of the stock is way oversized, none of which made me change to a different stock although I did buy a state of the art aftermarket wood stock that never got installed.

I personally don't like bbls shorter than about 23". In my experience the bbls less than 20" seem to exaggerate any ammo variences when used at 50 yds. I have done some excellent shooting at long range events with short bbls but the standard of precision is much less than at 50yds.

Thanks for your reply Ray, is there any stock you would recommend or do you know of a br50 for sale

Quote Originally Posted by BillyMc101rc View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and was just looking for a bit of advice, I have a Anschutz 2013 with a 19 inch barrel, is there a disadvantage in having a barrel this short for 22 bench rest and what are your thoughts on the BR50 stock,
    cheers
    Billy Mc
    UK
    Billy, I have a 20 inch barrel on my Anschutz 64 Benchrest, and it performs superbly at 50 yards. I've read numerous articles on barrel length vis-a-vis accuracy, and most of them do not find any positive correlation between barrel length and accuracy. The only advantage for longer barrels appears to be increased aiming radius if one is not using telescopic sights.

Cordially,
    Blanco

Hi Blanco, thanks for replying, with the right ammuniton it groups well out at 100yds, I just thought it may do a bit better with a longer barrel maybe I should just concentrate on a proper bench rest stock and see how things go from there.
    regards
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
    Billy, I have a 20 inch barrel on my Anschutz 64 Benchrest, and it performs superbly at 50 yards. I've read numerous articles on barrel length vis-a-vis accuracy, and most of them do not find any positive correlation between barrel length and accuracy. The only advantage for longer barrels appears to be increased aiming radius if one is not using telescopic sights.

Cordially,
    Blanco
    That is incorrect friend. If you go to any large match you are going to see few custom barrels shorter than 23" I'd wager most are between 24" and 25" and there are several reasons largely connected to harmonics, tuning and bullet stability.

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    That is incorrect friend. If you go to any large match you are going to see few custom barrels shorter than 23" I'd wager most are between 24" and 25" and there are several reasons largely connected to harmonics, tuning and bullet stability.
    Tim, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. Have a nice Thanksgiving! I've attached an excellent article that you might want to peruse at your leisure. It won't change your mind, but it'll give you something to think about.

http://www.sniperschool.com/sniper-rifle-barrel-length

Cordially,
    Blanco

Tim, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. Have a nice Thanksgiving! I've attached an excellent article that you might want to peruse at your leisure. It won't change your mind, but it'll give you something to think about.

Cordially,
    Blanco
    Great article, thanks, only problem is that it has absolutely nothing to do with .22 barrels. Let your education commence. As I said, go to a few matches, talk to a coulpe gunsmiths. Are you in the USA?

Cordially,
    Blanco
    Interesting, but proves nothing IMO. One barrel shortened to 18" does not mean that the same effects will happen with other barrels. No a very good statistical sample.

It's fine to challenge conventional wisdom. I've been known to do that, and even been right a time or two. We'll just skip over all the times I was wrong.

This works best when you have a good understanding of all the compromises involved with "whatever" it is. Several things Tim alluded to are important to benchrest, but not to sniping.

Consider just one: all bullets, by about 4 inches after leaving the barrel, take a slightly different orientation than when in the bore. This is called the tip-off rate. It can be measured as it happens with spark photography, but to date, we do not know how to calculate it before hand -- no prediction possible.

This leads to shot dispersion. Now oddly enough, the dispersion in no wind and a constant 20 mph wind is about the same. But as the wind speed and direction changes from shot to shot, as it always does in the real world, the total dispersion will be greater.

Point two: the tip off rate will be lessened, statistically anyway, when the gas pressure at the muzzle is less. For most rifles, longer barrels mean less gas pressure at the muzzle.

Is this large enough to shoot the difference on a 50-yard RF target? Hard to say, but the fact that so many of the better shooters have gone to longer barrels suggests it is.

Why do CF point-blank shooters use short barrels? Because everything is a compromise. Weight is an issue, and rifle balance on the bags. Until very recently, it was also believe that barrel stiffness was all-important. Shorter is stiffer. But contrary to that, I have a .30 BR (I know, it is a CF example) with a 25-inch barrel. It shoots uncommonly good. Sample size one, not significant in itself, but it does fit a model. It is also barrel blocked, which effectively shortens the barrel by 4 inches as far as "stiffness" is concerned. The compromises is that it adds weight, and unless you do your own work, adds to the cost. But here's one from column B: with a tuner, whippier barrels may be an advantage. If you can't stop something, control is the next best approach.

What I'm trying to suggest with all this isn't so much that you should have a longer barrel, but when you see something like the sniper article, question that, too. A rifle is a complex system, and selecting the best of the inevitable compromises is what helps make a winner. Different purposes, different compromises. And the more you understand about the whole system, the better able you are to make those compromises. In the real world, the common approach of "test one thing at a time" model has some serious problems. Sometimes a factor only shows up (improves or worsens) in the presence of another factor.

Just don't let the complexity paralyze you.

Charles, those are great points -- very insightful. What I enjoy about these shooting forums is that there is a great diversity of opinions on every topic, and so they stimulate me to think deeply.

Cordially,
    Blanco

There are always exceptions to every rule when it comes to rimfire. I am sure there are short bbls out there that are capable of winning a well attended match. I have seen rimfires with bbls that have a centerfire taper that shoot lights out !!

I like my 21" stiff barrel. It shoot well and fits in a shorter case. The final proof is always in the shooting.

Concho Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wynne View Post
    I like my 21" stiff barrel. It shoot well and fits in a shorter case. The final proof is always in the shooting.

Concho Bill
    Bill, I certainly agree that "the final proof is always in the shooting". I also find it extremely interesting that Lilja rimfire barrels (generally recognized as some of the most accurate barrels in the world) are all 21".

Cordially,
    Blanco

Bill, I certainly agree that "the final proof is always in the shooting". I also find it extremely interesting that Lilja rimfire barrels (generally recognized as some of the most accurate barrels in the world) are all 21".

Cordially,
    Blanco
    Allow me to correct myself and say that the Lilja .22LR barrels are 21".

Cordially,
    Blanco