Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Sinclair cleaning Rod Holder Wall Thickness?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19

    Sinclair cleaning Rod Holder Wall Thickness?

    Hi

    Could someone out there measure the wall thickness of their sinclair cleaning rod holders? I hate to sound like a cheapskate but $19.00 seems like an awful lot for a piece of aluminum tube. I may be way off base hear but I'm thinking I can make the same thing for around $10.00 paying retail for the material. Mine will probably not have the the fit and finnish of the sinclair but it will be functional.

    Thanks for the help.

    Ryan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Bedford, Virginia
    Posts
    993
    if you want cheap and functional make it out of pvc.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    So. Central PA. Most rifle shooting at Shippensburg Fish and Game.
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by steve stanley View Post
    if you want cheap and functional make it out of pvc.
    Bingo!

    Fitch

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho
    Posts
    501
    Actually if you look at Lowes or Home Depot they have a product called CPVC which is smaller diameter and works extremely well for a rod case!

    Gary

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Western Washington State
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by rrwildlife View Post
    Hi

    Could someone out there measure the wall thickness of their sinclair cleaning rod holders? I hate to sound like a cheapskate but $19.00 seems like an awful lot for a piece of aluminum tube. I may be way off base hear but I'm thinking I can make the same thing for around $10.00 paying retail for the material. Mine will probably not have the the fit and finnish of the sinclair but it will be functional.

    Thanks for the help.

    Ryan
    Using the the same tube micrometer I use to measure neck thickness I get 0.035 inches.

    DougF

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19
    Doug,

    That's exactly the info I needed. I think I can buy a 48" tube for about $7.00 at my metals supplier.

    Many thanks,

    Ryan

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19
    Guy's I thought about going the pvc route and decided to go with aluminum tube. Thanks for the suggestion though.

    Ryan

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    S.E. MI
    Posts
    2,288
    You might want to think about this some more.
    PVC or CPVC will not react to the cleaning chemicals........
    The inside coating is gone on the tube for the Brush rod. And I take off the cap to let the cleaning fluids drain out. The cap goes back on for transport.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy06 View Post
    You might want to think about this some more.
    PVC or CPVC will not react to the cleaning chemicals........
    The inside coating is gone on the tube for the Brush rod. And I take off the cap to let the cleaning fluids drain out. The cap goes back on for transport.
    I didn't think that aluminum reacts with cleaning solvents. Dewey is now making jags of aluminum if there is an issue here I would be interested to hear about it.

    Ryan

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,401
    make them from ss tubing and don't look back, they will last longer than the owner

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    arkansas
    Posts
    302
    i used half inch aluminum conduit and lined it with clear flexible poly tubing [ about 3/8 in.diameter] so that the rod coating never touches the aluminum. chemicals dont react with the poly as far as i can tell. the poly is available at most building type stores.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •