Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change xp100 into rifle

Change xp100 into rifle

Hello, is it legal to turn my xp100 center grip pistol into a benchrest rifle with a 20" heavy barrel thanks Joe

Yes. Converting the other way (rifle into a pistol) is not legal.

But, like all things legal/illegal, you should check any local ordinances/ regulations etc.

Ray

ya everything I read says do it but Jim at Kelbly's said no so I emailed the ATF waiting for there reply

I can't imagine why he would have said that. It's been done many times. It was not too long ago that Benchrest rifles built on XP100 actions were very popular. I have a very nice live varmint rifle that I built that way.

Unless - you are talking about a rifle stock, right?

Ray

yes I want to make it a benchrest rifle

I have one that is a switch bbl and I use it as a rifle in one stock and a Pistol in the other. I did this way back and even have both large and small bolts. Cheeckako is correct you can make a pistol a rifle BUT not vice versa.

I would suspect that it is entirely legal to add a long barrel to a pistol. Even a rifle stock. The problem is that under that
    serial number it is still what it was and thats was a pistol which requires transfer upon selling. Federal records will always
    say that gun was a handgun, no matter what you added

Bob - I'm not disagreeing with you but, I have an XP100 manufactured in 1963. Are you saying that somewhere in a deep dark store room of ATF&E there is a record that says this is a pistol and I can only sell it to another person as a pistol?

Just last year I sold an XP100 rifle and sent it to an FFL in another State using USPS Priority mail. I assume the FFL recorded it as a rifle. Are we both going to Leavenworth?

Ray

Ray, regarding 1963 manufacture, I have no idea what laws were at that time or how it was recorded.

That you sent it to a FFL certainly means something

If you bought it as a pistol and added a rifle barrel , then sold it to an individual, non FFL it still in the feds eyes

would be a pistol, because it was manufactured as such. JMO

You could just sell the XP & put the $ into a custom action. Have you seen what those things go for now?

They were turning xp's into rifles at least as far back as late 70's. I dont know about any permits.
    I had one in 6x47 Intl.

However Dave is correct. If you want to shoot BR your best bet is to just invest the money in a true BR action.
    Otherwise the money you spend truing perfecting this action will end up costing more and being less of an action than a true modern BR action.
    There have been several other posts over the years. You could do a search for them.

Bob,
    Cheechako is right.
    Butch

Springboro, OH. That's between Dayton and Cinci
    Hate the thought of another XP going south. Please sell it and build on a custom action. If you make me anything like a reasonable price, *I'll* buy it. I might have to liquidate a S&W first, but I'll do it.

It's worth reading the Supreme Court case United States vs Thompson Center. As I understand the findings, a legally registered >pistol< receiver may have a long (>16") barrel put on it. That does not make it a rifle. If the barrel is over 16" and if adding a shoulder stock makes it over 26" overall there is no law agianst it adding a shoulder stock too. It is still a pistol. It is perfectly legal to convert that action back to pistol configuration( technically remove the stock first) A pistol registered action should be transferred as a pistol as it was when it was origianally sold by the manufacture. It should not be sold to a person younger then 21 which would violate federal law.

I'm not a lawyer. I don't know if a case has been tried where a used T/C or XP-100 action with a rifle barrel and stock was sold to a person of age 18 to 21 with it listed on a form 4473 as a rifle. There are two separate issues. One is the possion of any firearm which doesnt meet legal barrel length and overall length if it has a shoulder stock whether it's registered as a pistol or not. The second issue is transferring (possession, not ownership) of a pistol to a person under 21 which is not legal.
    Last edited by Louis Boyd; 04-28-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Louis, do you have your "ownership" and "posession" switched in your last sentence? My daughter was able to get a concealled carry permit when she was 18, but couldn't buy a handgun until 21.

Jim