Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.6x55, why not?

Steve,
    Where do you buy the RWS brass?

Joe

Steve,
    Where do you buy the RWS brass?
    Joe,
    I bought 200 peices about 6 or 7 years ago from Huntington's. I'm still working on that batch. I also shoot a 30 Boo Boo in my HG and use RWS for that chambering also.

I've heard that there is some more RWS brass being imported in the next couple of months. But its not on dry land yet, so not getting any hopes up.

Steve

Well as you know the 6.5x55 is a joint development by the Norwegian and Swedish military, and is currently used by Norway, Sweden and Denmark in our National Rifle Association, the main rifle being Sauer 200 STR ( Scandinavian Target Rifle) in 6.5x55 or, 308 or 22lr as practice. Its now being tested with the 223 Rem.

Active Members:
    Norway: 160 000
    Denmark: ?
    Sweden: ?

Not sure about the other countries members, but close Norways. So, 300-400 000 active shooters in those three countries use the 6.5x55 as their main cartridge ( I would say 80-90% atleast). Altough its mostly 300m, 3 positions or rapid shooting:

Stangskyting (rapid shooting) 200meters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfY899uNOk0

Going up against a G-3 ( the former nations military rifle)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrtI8...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75gUc...eature=related
    Three targets. (Helmet sized target at 160 yards, upper body sized target at max 300 yards, or a smaller yet at 250yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Well as you know the 6.5x55 is a joint development by the Norwegian and Swedish military, and is currently used by Norway, Sweden and Denmark in our National Rifle Association, the main rifle being Sauer 200 STR ( Scandinavian Target Rifle) in 6.5x55 or, 308 or 22lr as practice. Its now being tested with the 223 Rem.

Active Members:
    Norway: 160 000
    Denmark: ?
    Sweden: ?

Not sure about the other countries members, but close Norways. So, 300-400 000 active shooters in those three countries use the 6.5x55 as their main cartridge ( I would say 80-90% atleast). Altough its mostly 300m, 3 positions or rapid shooting:

Stangskyting (rapid shooting) 200meters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfY899uNOk0

Going up against a G-3 ( the former nations military rifle)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrtI8...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75gUc...eature=related
    Three targets. (Helmet sized target at 160 yards, upper body sized target at max 300 yards, or a smaller yet at 250yards.
    I realize this is bringing up an old thread. I have a CG63 Swedish Match rifle. Love it. Surprising accuracy. I was looking for info on the 6.5x55 to possibly eventually build a custom rifle that has what I need, a left hand action. While I've played around with using my middle finger to fire the rifle before, doing it with a right hand action is pointless. HOWEVER.......watching how these right hand guys work the bolt and fire with their middle finger is jaw dropping. It's simply a matter of practicing it til they get the feel right. At the level these guys perform, it has clearly taken years.

Watching the guy SMOKE the other guy with the G-3 was simply amazing to me.

The mild recoil of a 6.5x55 has to contribute to the speed these guys show. The accuracy of the 6.5x55 can be impressive. I enjoyed the other posts talking about using it in a BR rifle. I'm curious if it's been long enough since this thread that folks have revisited the 6.5x55 as a BR round.

Northman (or anyone else who knows), if you happen to see this, do the CG63 or CG80 still get used much or does the lack of ability to do quick mag changes render them obsolete? Is the STR 200 much more accurate than a well setup CG63 or CG80?

Thanks for all of the info!

Greg

Swedes

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Charles, that is probably the big reason, that extra 6-9 thousanths causes just enough problems with a stadard bolt face.

The brass is sure nice though. In terms of wall thickness variation, the Lapua 6.5x55 is as good as it gets.......jackie

I own several......... never had a problem with extraction using std. rem. extractors....... you`re rite about brass....... it`s great.........load development........ well......... they been using it for 100 yrs..... no need to reinvent the wheel.....
    bill larson

Quote Originally Posted by bill larson View Post
    I own several......... never had a problem with extraction using std. rem. extractors....... you`re rite about brass....... it`s great.........load development........ well......... they been using it for 100 yrs..... no need to reinvent the wheel.....
    bill larson
    Last year, Geramo Villarreal ordered a 7mm reamer using the necked up 6.5x55 case. He straightened the walls, and gave it a 40 degree shoulder.

Him and Ed Bernabeo have both chambered Rifles for it. The reamer is throated for the 180 Berger Hybrid. Velocity is in the mid 2900 range with great accuracy and good brass life.

Bolt Face

Jackie,

I for one believe that bolt face modification is pretty much a non issue. Opening up a bolt face by a few thousandths should have no effect on how the bolt face handles the standard 308 size cases. My custom actions even have interchangeable bushings, so I can shoot anything from .222 to 30-30 cases. I typically only use the PPC bushing, or no bushing for the 30-30. The 6.5 Jap would be interesting if Lapua made cases. If I'm not mistaking, it's PPC diameter. Personally I like your 6.5X55 idea. Of course it has accuracy potential.

Michael

Michael, years ago, I had a reamer ground that uses the 6.5 Japanese necked up to 30 caliber. I called it the "30 Jackie-Saki". I still have the reamer. The case, which is a "semi rim", uses a standard 308 bolt face. The body is pretty close to PPC size in diameter. The extra length made it a great minimum case HBR chambering.

The reason it did not work out was when I developed it I using some excellent Norma Brass that was pretty old. The "red" colored stuff, if you remember. They were really nice. But when I ordered 100 cases from Norma, what I got was a plastic bag of cases that looked like Remington Rejects. They were terrible.

What I learned was Norma was farming out the manufacturer of many of the obsolete cases that they sold, such as many of the old military chamberings.

Around that time, I quit shooting HBR, so I just put the reamer up and forgot about it.
    I don't even know where the dies are.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 05-18-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Bob Rosen ran a 6.5x55 GWI in a light gun for a while and I think he did quite well with it, said it was the easiest round to tune that he ever messed with.

Unfortunately I had a heavy hunting rifle built in one and could get it to shoot in a bucket so your mileage may vary.