Thread: Reducing bolt face on Mauser Action

Reducing bolt face on Mauser Action

I have a FN 400 Mauser style action, I want to reduce the bolt face from its current .532"dia. head size to accept a .473 dia head size. Can this be accomplished? What is involved is changing it to accept the smaller size case head. TIA

It can be done and a new extractor fitted but are you going to use this as a single shot?? The magazine rails will not function with the smaller case and I don't think you can alter them successfully...

Are you sure you have to. After all, that big claw extractor is the main component. Why not get an extractor for a .473 bolt face and see if it works.

Since the Mauser is not a full circle bolt face like a Remington, short of tig welding the thing up and re-machining it, I am not real sure what would be the best way to reduce that "half rim".
    And of course, the LAST thing I would ever do is weld on the nose of a bolt.......jackie

I posted this on another forum to get you a good answer. www.accuratereloading.com and go to the gunsmithing forum.
    Butch

Gentleman ,thanks for the quick replies. Dennis I had not considered the magazine / feeding issue. Jackie I will try your suggestion I have a spare extractor I can test the feeding as well. Butch thanks Ill follow the other thread as well

Butch, you know a lot about Mausers. What is your opinion on what he wants to do?........jackie

Jackie, I'm not familiar with his model. With the 98s you could get a regular 7mm or 8mm mauser bolt that would work. The feeding may or may not be a problem.
    Butch

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post

I posted this on another forum to get you a good answer.

Butch
    I think what you're implying is??????

Exactly what you said.....

wow

al

I guess that I was. I'm surprised no more activity on the AR forum. It appears that it is a commercial magnum receiver. It would have more value than a 432 boltface receiver. I believe also that a 98 bolt would fit. I believe I would sell it or take a 432 boltface action in trade with them giving you a little money.
    Butch