Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lt. Varmint vs Hvy. Varmint

Lt. Varmint vs Hvy. Varmint

In the IBS world, I would like to know what distinguishes the weight in a Light Varmint benchrest rifle from a Heavy Varmint. How do they go about weighing them? Scope on or off? I really don't wish to remove my scope to weigh the rifle and disturb the settings unless it is absolutely necessary. Thanks

Cherrywood

Scope on, lens caps removed and mirage shield can be removed for weighing. The bbl contour is the major factor.Weight by certified scales.

Everything that you would need to shoot with and meet the regs need to be on the rifle.
    So unless you are ready to shoot BR with Iron sights or No sights you need to leave the scope mounted up.
    Light Varmint is limited to 10.5 lbs or less
    Sporter is limited to 10.5 lbs or less
    Heavy Varmint is limited to 13.5 lbs or less
    Here is a link to the IBS rule book.
    http://internationalbenchrest.com/do...y%202009R3.pdf
    Ted
    Last edited by TedH; 01-18-2011 at 09:24 PM.

I was under the impression that everything that is on the rifle, when it is being fired, except ammo, counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrywood View Post
    In the IBS world, I would like to know what distinguishes the weight in a Light Varmint benchrest rifle from a Heavy Varmint. How do they go about weighing them? Scope on or off? I really don't wish to remove my scope to weigh the rifle and disturb the settings unless it is absolutely necessary. Thanks
    Cherrywood
    Cherrywood
    In IBS the rifle is to be weighed as it is going to be shot, Scope and mirage shield if you are using one must be included.

You are allowed one ounce for scale error .

Light Varmint or Sporter is a maximum of 10.5 lbs and Heavy is 13.5 lbs.

Dick Grosbier
    IBS Webmaster

As far as weights go the NBRSA rules are similar.
    Ted

NBRSA allows only 1/2 ounce for scale error. I don't believe the rule book states that the rifle must be weighed "as it is going to be shot" but it's common sense that it will be. That's why many shooters always have a "weigh rifle" handy.

Ray

"weigh rifle" ???

Quote Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
    That's why many shooters always have a "weigh rifle" handy.

Ray
    Ray
    Please enlighten me what is a "weigh rifle"

Dick

Dick

You must hang with the more serious Benchrest shooters. It's a joke term, as in, "It must be time to weigh. Fred is getting out his Weigh Rifle." It's been around for as long as I've been shooting.

Ray
    Last edited by Cheechako; 01-19-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Some time ago, I was at a match when it was announced that all rifles would be weighed before the match. Evidently some shooters had not planned on this, as I noticed several that immediately started working on their rifles, making changes to reduce their weight. It made me wonder how often shooters go to the line with a rifle that they know is over the class limit. Not that I think that a match would be won or lost by a slight difference in rifle weight, but it was an interesting peek into human nature. Evidently speed limits are not the only thing that some of us tend to push.

Boyd

I think we all know a "Fred", to whom a "weigh rifle" is not a joke but is real. We'd like to think that Benchrest is a gentleman's sport where rules are sacred, but such is not the case. That's why clubs have a set of weights and why they spend thousands of dollars for moving backer systems. But, there are ways to beat any rules, and there are "Freds" who will find them.

Ray
    Last edited by Cheechako; 01-19-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Any person who claims to know an individual who is weighing one rifle and shooting another and does not report it to the referees is in my opinion showing he does not respect the rules himself.

Dick Grosbier

Dick

Just my opinion but I don't think we should expect competitors to be the rules police. That is what the referees and other match officials are for. If you believe that a shooter should report such an alledged violation, where do you stop? If you see a guy removing the caps on his scope turrets before he weighs and then put them back on afterwards, do you report him? If the shooter next to you gets up from his bench before the "cease fire" do you report him? Should you check every target on the wailing wall and report any that you think are incorrectly measured? If every shooter is supposed to pull pit duty but you notice that one guy does not, do you report him?

IMHO the guys who push the envelope when it comes to rules are only cheating themselves. Benchrest is not my life and I'm certainly not going to live or die by what others do.

Again, JMHO

Ray
    Last edited by Cheechako; 01-19-2011 at 12:56 PM.

History ?

Has anyone been around long enough to actually know how the "Varmint" designation began? Was it because early rifles were just that, woodchuck rifles in varmint hunting calibers (.22-250,.222,219 wasp, etc)? The old BR rifles that I have seen look like they would be right at home in a hay field, Mauser and Springfield actions,wood stocks,long barrels.
    Can anyone comment on the early days of BR ?
    Joel

Joel

Look at the photos in some of the books and magazine articles of the early days. The rifles were exactly as you said, woodchuck rifles, or, in the west, rockchuck rifles. Often including carrying slings. Sandbag rests were just exactly that, bags of sand sitting on pieces of 2x6 for added height. The 222R wasn't around yet, but the 22 Varminter, 219 Wasp, 220 Swift, 219 Zipper, 22 Lindhal Chucker, 224 Pfeifer were some of the popular cartridges. A "Match" was one 5-shot group and the smallest group meant something back then.

Ray
    Last edited by Cheechako; 01-19-2011 at 06:36 PM.