Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Savage Ejection Problems?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    336

    Savage Ejection Problems?

    I have a LRPV and am having ejection problems, and have talked to some other guys who shoot a LRPV and have similar problems. Also, I've seen a lot of google hits where other folks seem to have had similar problems with Savage rifles.

    I typically shoot reloads (some of which are over-max) and the company guy seems to think my loads are damaging the ejector spring. I've replaced the ejector spring, and am now wondering whether the extractor is the problem (the cases drop in the loading port rather than ejecting). In trying to determine whether the issue is my reloads I've got to shoot some factory stuff to see if it ejects.

    Any one had, or heard of, similar experiences? If so, what was done about it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    166
    From a previous post:

    I have the exact same rifle and experienced the same problems with it. The magazine box in my rifle was poorly fitted resulting in failure to feed rounds from the left side. I took it to my gunsmith who refitted the magazine and reshaped the lips. It is now100% reliable. Later on, it began to fail to eject fired cases. I too thought it was an ejector problem but it turned out to be an extractor problem. The original extractor hook had worn down and was barely engaging the case rim. I called Savage and they sent a new extractor which solved the ejection problems.

    Lawrence

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    70
    I once blew a primer that slammed the ejector plunger pretty good. It basically crumpled the spring. I called Savage and they sent me a new spring and plunger. All is now well, but the extraction on Savages has never been as strong as the Remington M700.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    I once blew a primer that slammed the ejector plunger pretty good. It basically crumpled the spring. I called Savage and they sent me a new spring and plunger. All is now well, but the extraction on Savages has never been as strong as the Remington M700.
    I guess I'm the odd ball here. I've never had an extraction problem with a Savage, but have with a couple of Remingtons. I fixed them with M16 extractors, and the one gun I have left has been going for about 15 years now. I did manage to loose the 1/8" ball from a Savage once to the carpet monster! And even then it wasn't much to take care of. I have had some minor ejector pin problems with the Remington, but even then it was an easy fix
    gary

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Billings, Montana
    Posts
    1,465
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakie View Post
    I guess I'm the odd ball here. I've never had an extraction problem with a Savage, but have with a couple of Remingtons. I fixed them with M16 extractors, and the one gun I have left has been going for about 15 years now. I did manage to loose the 1/8" ball from a Savage once to the carpet monster! And even then it wasn't much to take care of. I have had some minor ejector pin problems with the Remington, but even then it was an easy fix
    gary
    Like Squeakie I've never had a problem with my two Savage's a 30 year old 112V and a 110. Actually I did have a problem with the 112's extractor, a primer blew on the radius, and pushed the ball that lives behind the extractor back with allowed the extractor to slip over the case rim. Lost the ball somehow, but a new ball fixed it.

    That and a failed extractor on a 700 PSS are the only two extractor problems I've ever had.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    PEI Canada
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by aka Hunter View Post
    I have a LRPV and am having ejection problems, and have talked to some other guys who shoot a LRPV and have similar problems. Also, I've seen a lot of google hits where other folks seem to have had similar problems with Savage rifles.

    I typically shoot reloads (some of which are over-max) and the company guy seems to think my loads are damaging the ejector spring. I've replaced the ejector spring, and am now wondering whether the extractor is the problem (the cases drop in the loading port rather than ejecting). In trying to determine whether the issue is my reloads I've got to shoot some factory stuff to see if it ejects.

    Any one had, or heard of, similar experiences? If so, what was done about it?
    Normally it is the extractor letting go of the case too early. Swap out the extractor if you haven't already and replace the 1/8 extractor detent ball with a 9/64 or at least a 3.5mm. The larger ball fits better and holds the extractor in a more centered and repeatable location. The bolt head recess diameter is likely too large but the bigger detent ball and good extractor normally fixes this issue.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Posts
    451
    I have a number of Savages and on my F-Class guns I t ake the ejector spring out. The ejector does two things I do not like: it pushes the loaded round into the chamber at an angle; and it dents my case mouths when the cases are ejected.

    I have never had a problem with any of my Savages, but a friend had one start failing to extract cases during a match last weekend. It turned out he had a small sliver of brass in the extractor and when we removed it everything was back to normal.

    Can you describe the exact problem in more detail, please?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    West Central Ohio
    Posts
    416
    What you have is an ejector problem, and they are quite common with the Savage rifle. You don't have an extractor problem because it is doing its job, and pulling the case out of the chamber. There is several reason why a Savage has ejection problems, first one deals with the large tolerances machined into the bolt head. Savage doesn't make the bolt heads they are made by several outside venders, and it seams that they will use different sides of the aloud specks. You may have one of the bolt heads with the tolerances on the bigger side of things.

    The second reason why Savage have ejection problems, lie with the short cases such as a 6 BR, and the sharp corners on the raceways for the bolt to travel down. What many time happens is the case gets lodged into these raceways , and it will strip the case off of the bolt head.Taking the barrel off and using a dermal tool, and nocking off the sharp corners on the raceway, can help alleviate this problem. The other problem with the shorter cases is the plunger is designed to accommodate longer cases, and doesn't have enough travel or pressure to fling the case out, being that it is shorter, and has less leverage.

    There is a few ways to fix an ejection problem; first is to take the plunger out, and file the retaining slot longer giving the pin more travel. Second is there is a lot of slop in the holes drilled into the bolt heads, and the ball bearing under the extractor can looses pressure, and the ability to hold the case to the bolt head. Sharp Shooter Supply sells a larger ball bearing to go under the extractor, and they offers a pin that fits the hole better, and reduces the slop. If them two tricks don't work you can either buy a new bolt head and see if that works, or have a gunsmith open up a 223 bolt head to the proper size.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    What you have is an ejector problem, and they are quite common with the Savage rifle....

    If them two tricks don't work you can either buy a new bolt head and see if that works, or have a gunsmith open up a 223 bolt head to the proper size.
    I solved my problem -- I sold the Savage. (Yes, I told the buyer about the problem before he bought it.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •