Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Henriksen reamers

Rick
    I called Hugh to get a 300 Ackley reamer made and he asked if I was in a hurry.I told him to take his time as I could wait a whole month even 5 weeks if need be.He asked me who told told you to call me as he was laughing his head off on the phone.He then said it would take a minimum of atleast 6 months on any reamer he had a blank for so I went elsewhere.I made his day with my I'm in no hurry call.
    If time is an issue get it elsewhere and start shooting.
    When you finaly do get the reamer from Hugh I would like to buy it from you.
    Lynn aka Waterboy

Reamer

Hi Guys-

I wasn't trying to start anything, just looking for a little contact info. I've got no hard feelings, he does sound like a really nice guy on the phone. I just want to move on and go shooting.

Hi Lynn-

I've emailed and faxed now trying to find out about or cancel the order, I don't know if he'll get either. If it does show up, you're more than welcome to use it. I'll probably have two by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Rick
    If time is an issue get it elsewhere and start shooting.
    When you finaly do get the reamer from Hugh I would like to buy it from you.
    Lynn aka Waterboy
    -Rick

congratulations moderaters

it seems that it is not what bashing is done but if the one getting bashed is an advertier they get protected, if they are not an advertiser they can, like hendtiksen, its ok to bash them,,,really an injustice wilbur
    Last edited by pwolfppc; 04-06-2010 at 09:43 AM.

I obviously don't know who told who what about when, but even from a distance one thing is clear.

In a market (for reamers for instance) there is price elasticity of demand. Hugh could raise his prices, he would get fewer orders, and the wait for his work would shorten. Or one can plan ahead, get in line and pay partly with the other currency; time.

Another way to look at this is that Hugh undervalues his work (and his time) and he could and should charge more.

Other reamer makers are available to us who's time price is lower. Unless and until the current administration discovers the reamer market and decides it needs regulation also, we all get to decide for ourselves what we are willing to pay in time and treasure. This is a good thing (while it lasts).

Henricksen reamers

From what I've learned Henricksen reamers are excellent but the wait is long. I've had reamers made by Manson in a very reasonable time and know that PTG has a reasonable response time as well. My gunsmith has been using Henricksen reamers for years and there is a reason. For my skills and shooting ability, I doubt I would ever be able to tell the difference but it matters to some. My gunsmith is a seasoned benchrest shooter, excellent gunsmith and has a preference for Henricksen; again there is a reason.

As mentioned by other posters, some guys are one man operations. For probably 98% of most projects, any of the other reamer makers will fit the bill. For the remaining 2%, they are willing to wait. Just lending a disinterested third party opinion.

Lou Baccino

Hey Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post

George Kelblys little gun shop beside the road has been building actions, complete rifles, fitting barrels, and making stocks for some 30 odd years. George's little shop chambers a few thousand benchrest barrels each year. Would he order his reamers from anyone but Hugh Henriksen? Not likely.

I don’t chamber quite that many barrels each year, although I chamber barrels almost every day of the week…trying my best to keep up with the shooters that change barrels as often as I change socks!

I thought I’d chime in here on the situation with the supply of chambering reamers that come from the custom tooling shops supplying products to the benchrest community.

I hope that folks can exercise a little patience when dealing with these vendors, as well as the custom gun builders and other suppliers in this business. You are correct in stating that these vendors aren’t “Mal-Wart” distributing cheap Chi-com junk. They are craftsman diligently hand finishing quality products, which requires an extraordinary amount of time and labor.

Keep in mind that quite a bit of pride goes into the manufacture of these products for the precision shooter. A lot of the makers are also shooters themselves and sell their products to their friends. I can assure you that they would never purposely sell an inferior product just to make a quick buck. It’s too easy to get black-listed in this small niche target shooting game.

For several decades, our shop has used tooling supplied from the major tool makers located in Oregon – JGS, Pacific, and Hugh Henriksen. They all make superior tooling, and I recommend their products on a regular basis. When someone is in need of tooling in a hurry, I tell them to contact all three makers for an estimate on delivery time. Hugh is pretty much a one-man shop, so don’t expect anything from him pronto – however what you get will be of excellent quality.

Everyone makes mistakes. A little civility goes a long way when dealing with the vendors when they make mistakes (this includes our shop).

Also – these tool makers are at the mercy of the material quality; and they often have no control over the quality or any reliable way to determine its suitability for the parts that they make. I could write a small book over this issue…as anybody in the manufacturing business these days knows it’s a factor that is a burden on the whole U.S. manufacturing industry. So if one experiences a problem with finish or rapid wear of a reamer, don’t be too quick to blame the toolmaker.

Greg Walley
    Kelbly's Inc.

Guys-I ran into Switchbarrel today 4-23-2010 at the NBRSA 600 Yard Nationals and he told me personaly that the reamer had arrived in wednesdays mail.
    Waterboy aka Lynn

reamers from Henriksen

I have never delt with Henrikson but friends have and say he makes the best reamers hands down, next would be JGS
    All others I have used just don't cut it there spec sheets are full of mistakes and don't match reamer at all

From;
    Warner Tool Company
    Note: If you plan on supplying your own chamber reamer: It is subject to our inspection and approval prior to use and we reserve the right of refusal. Unless we supply the reamer, we will not be responsible for its condition. Any repairs or modifications we make to your reamer will be your financial responsibility. Unless otherwise stated, we require you to supply a head space gage and reamer print.

Many years ago I decided to get my own reamer for the 6PPC. I asked the late Jerry Simison (my gunsmith at the time) for a recommendation. He told me to get a Hendriksen reamer and I wouldn't be sorry. I served my wait-time (not as long then as now) and got the reamer. Since then, I have had all of my 6 PPC barrels chambered with it, and it is an excellent reamer. Billy Stevens now uses it to do my work. When a friend asked for a recommendation, I suggested Henriksen. Well, he waited a year for it and (sort of) blamed me for the wait. he now has had several barrels chambered with the reamer and states that it was worth the wait. If you cannot wait, don't order a reamer from Hugh. There are several reamer makers that have been mentioned that are excellent reamers and one should use these if he is in a hurry. Good shooting...James Mock

There is the best, then there is the rest

But if you want the very very best of anything custom, sometimes you wait till it gets built.
    This thread makes me wonder, what is Boots Obermeyer's backlog these days?
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grosbier View Post
    This thread makes me wonder, what is Boots Obermeyer's backlog these days?
    Dick
    Is Boots still working now??

Is Boots still working now??
    I do not know Jerry. I know his website is active and I have a friend who has had barrels on order for years.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grosbier View Post
    I do not know Jerry. I know his website is active and I have a friend who has had barrels on order for years.

Dick
    Sounds promising if you are not in a hurry!

Boots? Simply the best of the best. Don't know how many he has taught the trade to.
    Another one man shop. Been knowing him since he got started here in WI. He's about 16 mi. from me. He cut me a barrel in the sixties in .35 Whelen on my Rem 760 action.
    He feels it was the first. So do I.