Thread: E. Benny Sunderhaus

E. Benny Sunderhaus

Colleagues,

Currently I am researching E. Benny Sunderhaus, an Ohio gunsmith who produced his own custom action during the 1930-1950 era. Much like Ray Morgan, who followed him in the 1940s and 50s, he favored Johnson barrels.

While I have some basic information about him, photos of several of his actions, and some anecdotal information I am on the look out for more.

If you have any information or leads that you think might help I may be contacted at hrocketto@cox.net.

Thank you.

Hap Rocketto

I have one of these with a Johnson barrel in 22. Email was sent.

Do you have a photo that you can share?

Hal

Here is a pic from the rimfire central post.

Petrea(Ohio 124) On Salt Crick in SE Ohio

Lightbulb Benny Action

Benny's had great triggers,that would break like glass.
    Made LH & RH actions. Used Eric Johnson,and Douglas barrels.My last was a Hart but Benny had passed on by then.My Benny was # 79 he made about 85
    Benny Action,Creston Ohio on route # 3,Wayne County.His walnut came from Vinton County Ohio.
    Benny's would win matches and set records what more could you want?

Benny Pictures

Here are some additional pictures.

Petrea(Ohio 124) On Salt Crick in SE Ohio

Lightbulb Benny-

Benny,would be so very happy about all this talk going on about his actions.
    His last half dozen were all slightly differant. He was working on a new trigger when he passed away,( heart).
    His card would read.
    Been to Benny's going back.
    Happy Jane Happy Jack.
    His display rifles were engraved and finished in a brown finish.I wonder where they are?

Thanks you guy for posting pics .Its great to see good guns.
    Hal

Benny Test Target

First, let me qualify this by saying I am no bench rest shooter by any measure. I just ran a couple of patches through the rifle and did this with the Benny at 50 yards over sandbags using an Unertl 15 I had laying around. You will also see I did not use any real high-cost ammo. These are good targets for me and show how good Benny's rifles are for being made over 60 years ago. With better ammo and someone who knows what they are doing, who knows how well this Benny would shoot.

Here are some pictures after I tried to fix some of the issues the rifle got over the years after it left Benny's. Someone drilled it for target scope bases and it was not true to the barrel so I redrilled for the scope bases. They also cut into the stock to make an adjustable cheek rest. The wood is next impossible to color match but it looks better.