Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calfee Muzzle devise

Calfee Muzzle devise

Can anyone post a picture of a Calfee muzzle devise ?

Old Calfee Muzzle Device.

He said he invented this setup to add to the Harrel style tuner.
    Last edited by Fred J; 10-12-2009 at 07:42 PM.

thanks Fred for clearing that up, I was thinking it was the aluminum mountain pie makers on the bottom of the stock.

Which doe s Calfee use on current builds ?

You got me on that one

I don't pay that much attention to the current Calfee builds. What ever it is, isn't a Calfee Invention.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kingsbury View Post
    Which doe s Calfee use on current builds ?
    Harrel. Which he also refers to as a Calfee or at least Calfee type tuner. He may also use some RvA now. Still would be referred to as Calfee type.

Pics from Calfee

Can someone provide a precise date when Mr Calfee invented the muzzle device/tuner? Any documentation?
    Don

Don,
    According to Precision Shooting it was 1994 & they published an article that Bill wrote in Dec of that year.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Stith View Post
    Can someone provide a precise date when Mr Calfee invented the muzzle device/tuner? Any documentation?
    Don
    An article came out in "Precision Shooting" in Dec. 1994 about Bill's tuner, I think. I don't know who wrote the article but I don't think it was Bill. The article said Bill got the idea while driving home from the BR 50 Nationals in Texas in Oct. of 1993. One of the people who has a copy of the new book could probably tell you more.

I've heard that there is a magazine that pictures Calfee or someone holding a Calfee rifle with a muzzle device that predates the Browning BOSS. Again, I haven't actually seen that. I guess if a person really wants to know, it would require some research.

For those that care. Browning publicly introduced the Boss system in August of 1993. By October of 1994 Savage had a similar device as did QUE company. Brownings patents were delayed because of the similarity to a "device for changing the vibrations of a rifle barrel" applied for June 7,1954 and granted June 8, 1957 to a Mr. Alfred Shapel. Mr Calfee may have devised his muzzle device without knowledge of these other developments. Only he knows that. I do not know when Mr Hoehn began marketing his tuner or what inspired him. Just thought some one might enjoy this info.
    Don

Don

If you go to the patent office online, and search around, some 'devices' even predate those you listed.

The December 1994 Precision Shooting article is entitled, "The Calfee Rimfire Barrel Device" by Bill Calfee as related to Bruce Buckner.

I reread the article last night and enjoyed it. The article addresses some of the ways people in the past had tried to deal with barrel vibration. Steel bands around the stock, dual bedding screws, some type of electric bedding device???, etc. It even references and acknowledges an article about the BOSS "Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System" written by Richard Kayser in Precision Shooting in a previous June issue. It also states, "He is offering this information for accuracy minded rimfire shooters to make one for themselves if they so desire."
    Last edited by Tony C; 10-14-2009 at 06:17 AM.