Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crucuble steel file chapter 11

Oh my goodness, where is 416R going to come from now? A lot of jobs going north now.

Further... One week layoff April 3,09'

Syracuse, NY -- The Crucible Specialty Metals plant in Geddes has laid off its workers for one week, according to a union official.

Al Marshall, president of United Steelworkers Local 1277, one of the unions representing workers, said the layoff was announced Thursday. Earlier this year, the plant reported it had 675 employees.

Crucible makes and distributes specialty steel and powder metals. Some of the company's steel is used by the auto industry to make valves and tools.

Some departments have already gone through one- or two-week layoffs, but this is the first plant-wide layoff during the economic downturn, Marshall said.

"It's a sign of the times," he said. "It's been a steady decline since late last year."

not good........................

Now I guess everyone will run out and start buying up barrels.

I have

at least 20 barrel blanks for sale, all makes etc. $600 each Get em while ya still can before they take the same path as primers.

Quote Originally Posted by stiller View Post
    at least 20 barrel blanks for sale, all makes etc. $600 each Get em while ya still can before they take the same path as primers.
    No primers, no need for barrels.

yes there is..... tomato stakes

Barrels

I talked to a major barrel company early this afternoon and asked him if Crucibles situation would affect his barrel business. He told me there were several foundrys that supply barrels and it wouldn't affect him. He said he never used Crucible because they were so expensive. He buys his elsewhere. So I guess we just have a half a crisis? I have a few barrels put back and thought " do I need to pick up a few more?". I thought I might flip a coin to make up my mind, but then I would have to find a coin first! That's a lot of trouble.

Best,
    Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Wonder what made them so expensive compared to the competition? Did they produce a superior quality of steel?

I really didn't put this out there... too scare anyone

I'm more concerned with the decline of the US steel and people it ends up touching. How many Steelmills are left???

Still its good to know about these things that will or might have an impact on our sport.

Quote Originally Posted by M.D.Spencer View Post
    I'm more concerned with the decline of the US steel and people it ends up touching. How many Steelmills are left???
    We should all be concerned about putting our critical industries in Communist hands. But, the Communist are are friends now are they not??

Crucible also makes some of the best knife blade steel in the world. Their C30V alloy is currently considered to be the most desirable blade steel available. I hope they make it.

Chapter 11 does not Mean out of business

keep in mind what Chapter 11 means--it does not mean the company has gone under or that it is going out of business. They have reorganized their debt and I am sure they will be in a different bargaining position with LABOR.