Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cardboard backing

Quote Originally Posted by abintx View Post
    Glad to hear that. Sometimes the easiest solutions are those right in front of us. If you can find it, try the 110 lb next time. What color did you get? I like the Ivory because it's the closest color to the regular target paper.
    I purchased the standard white. It works quite well.

Somewhere in the wide world there must be a material that "Heals Up" after bullets go through. That property would be beneficial in a number of ways. I think such a product must exist but not marketed well or something.[/QUOTE]

There is such a product. It is the rubber membrane that is used for seamless roof systems. The only hole that actually cuts in it is the meplat of the bullet. We use it behind the target boards approx 2". The coroplast target baoars have a 4" hole cut in the impact area of the target. That way the only thing the bullet is impacting is the paper. And the rubber backer "heals" so the bullet holes really show up. The Celotex or coroplast target boards that are immediately behind the target leave a LOT to be desired. The only thing the bullet should be impacting is paper
    Last edited by David Halblom; 05-09-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: correction

print shops

I have found large cardboard at print shops. sometimes it comes as protection on each side of posterboard stock.

Thumbs up Homosote

I have a 100yd range at my home and do a lot of shooting there. Over the years I have tried everything that was free or cheap and have found that in the long run homosote was the best choice.

Dick

For my 1000 yard range at home I use Foil Faced Ridgid Insuation Boards. The are fairly cheap, weather proof, bullet holes seal up a bit and best of all they are so light I can put them up by myself.

They need a frame all the way around so the storms don't damage them but they last a very long time. I cut a 4x8 sheet in half and use 4x4 pieces.

My two cents.

Coroplast sheet is a very good choice

Coroplast is the brand name of corrugated plastic. Coroplast sheet is more durable than cardboard, And it is waterproof and lightfast. Coroplast sheets are easily available in local stores and can vary in size.

1/2 inch pink construction foam insulation backer and 65# copy paper targets

I have had the same 4x4 sheet of 1/2 inch pink construction foam as my target backer for about ten years. It is self healing and impervious to weather. Targets are usually stapled in the same place and it has yet to develop a void after 100's of rounds at each target position.

Targets and staples release from the foam without a tear.

I mounted the foam on the existing piece of plywood after it had seen its better days but it could just be mounted on a wood frame.

I also use 65# copy paper for targets. Bullets cut a nice clean hole.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Jianxin View Post
    And it is waterproof and lightfast. Coroplast sheets are easily available in local stores and can vary in size.
    Experience from other shooting sports says that Corplast is the last material you want for competitive shooting sports. While it's light and durable, the "waterproof" part means many water-based glues do not adhere to it. Additionally, after long term use, the center bows as the plastic deforms. The difference in thermal expansion coefficients also means a well-glued paper center may rip in half as the plastic expands behind it.

NOTE: Due to one or more of the issues noted above, at least one range BURNED their entire stock of Coroplast targets after a year of use. Other ranges donated their target stocks for target backers for "general membership" or "public use" activities at 100 and 200 yards.
    Last edited by Asa Yam; 11-16-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa Yam View Post
    Experience from other shooting sports says that Corplast is the last material you want for competitive shooting sports. While it's light and durable, the "waterproof" part means many water-based glues do not adhere to it. Additionally, after long term use, the center bows as the plastic deforms. The difference in thermal expansion coefficients also means a well-glued paper center may rip in half as the plastic expands behind it.

NOTE: Due to one or more of the issues noted above, at least one range BURNED their entire stock of Coroplast targets after a year of use. Other ranges donated their target stocks for target backers for "general membership" or "public use" activities at 100 and 200 yards.
    Well Yam, nothing that you shoot a lot of holes in and leave out in the weather will last forever. I think we could all agree about that. What would you suggest for target backers?
    Last edited by Bill Wynne; 11-16-2018 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wynne View Post
    What would you suggest for target backers?
    Bill,
    In no order:

1. Unwaxed cardboard;
    2. Fabric. Either cotton or cotton/polyester;
    3. Thin foam sheeting.

Asa

Time tested products

After over nine years this thread starts up again.

At our clubís range in San Angelo, Texas we have used nearly all the products mentioned. We have not used any fabric yet. For our benchrest contests we remove our targets for scoring so we need to attach them to the backers with something that will allow simple removal (staples, tacks, tape, etc.).

Coregated plain cardboard works fine until it gets wet or gets shot up. Black celotex is more resistant to moisture but bullets blow out the back badly.

We have settled on corplast for itís water resistant qualities. It is not perfect because it does tend to get a lot of holes shot in it and the lumber that it is attached to warps and causes it to bow. Until something better is suggested, we will continue with corplast because it works.

After all, we are just trying to hold a target still while we shoot at it.

I have read of a range using plastic screen stapled over the target frames in lieu of cardboard backer with the target face glued, as usual, to the screen. He claimed they held up extremely well in rain and target repair was a simple smaller patch of screen glued over the face and a new center pasted up. I am tempted to try it on our range for F-class as a test case as we get plenty of rain.

I'm in total agreement with Bill - coroplast!

I've used black coroplast for years for my ARA rimfire matches. I really like it for the reasons that other posters have mentioned.

Here's a trick I use.
    In ARA, it's legal to hang your target horizontally or vertically. (Actually, you can hang it any way you want. 90% of the shooters hang theirs horizontally. The other 10% hang theirs vertically.)

I lay an old target vertically and centered on each piece of coroplast. Using a narrow brush, I paint a white line along each corner of the target. Then I rotate the target to horizontal and paint the corners again.

I tell shooters that they can hang their targets either horizontally or vertically, but to hang them within the white corners.
    The advantage to this is that the bullets go generally through the same holes target after target. I can use the same coroplast for at least ten to twenty matches.
    And, after the coroplast is shot away behind each bull, the sun can shine through, making the holes in the targets even more visible.

99% of ARA shooters staple their targets to the coroplast. Because the shooters locate their targets the same place every time, the staples will be in the same locations, making it quick and easy to extract the staples after each match.

Hawkeye Wizard

where to get coroplast?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wynne View Post
    For that purpose, they will all work well including the cardboard. I recommend the coroplast because it will hold up best in the weather and it has a clean white look. We have a 2X4 flat lumber frame on the outside only and these products hold the target staples just fine.
    Can get coroplast here: corrugatedplasticsheet.net/manufacturers/corrugated-plastic-sheets/