Thread: Help Building a new Shooting Bench !!!

Smile Help Building a new Shooting Bench !!!

I would appreciate any help regarding building a new shooting bench. I live on a farm where I will need to remove the bench from the pasture where I will be shooting. I am thinking about building a wooden frame bench out of treated 2bys and inserting an axle with wheels on the front end. Building a tongue out of steel stock so I can attach to my JD Gator and pull to any distance needed and shoot. Any help would be appreciated?????
    THANKS !!!!

Try a Google search.. "Shooting bench, homemade" or Shooting bench, plans" or a google images search of just "Shooting bench"... Ought come up with lots of examples.

FYI, I just did the suggested image search and it has a ton of pix for ideas.

I saw a photo

once of a bench built on a trailer frame which has camper trailer jacks on each corner. The Rancher used it to shoot "Dogs" from. The bench was an intergril part of the trailer frame.

Whatever you do, over-build. It is tough to build a bench that is TOO STABLE.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayBustrr View Post
    I would appreciate any help regarding building a new shooting bench. I live on a farm where I will need to remove the bench from the pasture where I will be shooting. I am thinking about building a wooden frame bench out of treated 2bys and inserting an axle with wheels on the front end. Building a tongue out of steel stock so I can attach to my JD Gator and pull to any distance needed and shoot. Any help would be appreciated?????
    THANKS !!!!
    Clay Buster,

I would suggest that you build as sturdy wood bench and move it around your place with a trailer or even your pickup. Build it is such a way that you can roll it on. I believe that you can do this with one man or at the most two. You would be shooting while you would be building a trailer.

You might look at the horseshoe wooden bench in this article on page 3.

http://benchrest.com/articles/benches.pdf

Concho Bill

On U Shape benches

I shoot frequently at two venues that have U shaped benches and I can not say one good thing about them other than one club's benches are very solidly anchored.

One Venue's benches doesn't have enough room on the tails for both one's bag and arm and the other venue's opening is too small for some of we more Adult folks. They also suffer from narrow tails.

Rigidity is far more important than anything else if you want to shoot predictably from a bench, either that or you can't touch the bench when you are shooting. I don't believe there is any way to easily make a portable bench that is stable enough to provide superb accuracy, one that can be trailered around and easily moved. If super accuracy isn't an issue then most anything will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    Rigidity is far more important than anything else if you want to shoot predictably from a bench, either that or you can't touch the bench when you are shooting. I don't believe there is any way to easily make a portable bench that is stable enough to provide superb accuracy, one that can be trailered around and easily moved. If super accuracy isn't an issue then most anything will do.
    I agree with you about the rigidity of a bench being of the utmost importance. I can show you moveable benches, not exactly portable ones, that world class records can be set on. Let me not be misunderstood, moveable benches that are as steady as for accuracy purposes as any benchrest bench on earth.

Concho Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wynne View Post
    I agree with you about the rigidity of a bench being of the utmost importance. I can show you moveable benches, not exactly portable ones, that world class records can be set on. Let me not be misunderstood, moveable benches that are as steady as for accuracy purposes as any benchrest bench on earth.

Concho Bill

Can you show us a picture?

Pete,

Go to page 8 of the article on benches on this site.

http://benchrest.com/articles/benches.pdf

The 4" legs and braces are filled with concrete and the thing weighs about 475 pounds.

Dan Killough of Killough Shooting Sports built benches from my drawings for his 20 place range because sometimes he moves them out of place for 4-H shooting. You can see his range at this site.

http://www.killoughshootingsports.co...ngePicBig3.jpg

I would be glad to share the plans for these with anyone.

Concho Bill
    Last edited by Bill Wynne; 02-20-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Nice article Bill!

Thanks

Great article. I printed it for a friend.