Thread: Barrel contour

Barrel contour

Just wondering what contour seems to be the most used right or would have on their next Br100 RF... and would it be different then for a BR50 Gun????
    I'm wondering about the reverse taper???
    Singleshotom

Singleshotom,

The reverse taper is not as popular now as it was a couple of years ago. Now, in my opinion, the most popular for a Turbo, Anschutz, or Suhl is a .900 straight. For a 40X, Time, or large action the #7 contour seems to be pretty popular or a contour that starts at 1.250 and tapers to .900 at the muzzle.

I am not sure why the reverse taper lost its popularity. I have a reverse taper, .900 straight, and a #7. They all shoot good. Some people claim certain contours are easier to tune than others. I believe it has more to do with what is in the bore of the barrel than what the contour is. I would not have a problem with putting any of the 3 contours mentioned on one of my guns. If you are trying to make weight, the #7 may be too heavy.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Dan, I have never experimented at all with the reverse taper and always wondered or should I say intrigued. I do thank you for your thoughts! I like you think more about the inside then the out... But I'm doing some quizzing before my next go around with a new build. In the shooting we're doing in this particular area, weight is not a problem.
    This 100-200 yd BR game is fun.
    Thnx Again
    TSS