Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where are the 52's

where are the 52's

greetings all,

in the last issue of precision shooting, there was an article by hoke kerns called the 'rimfire honey hole'. it's about a shoot put on by the infamous jerry graves.

it was a superbowl of rimfire shooters. the top shooters were invited. all in all there were 16 shooters and an impressive list it was.

a partial equipment list was;
    actions, first,rem 40X second was turbo.
    trigger, jewell by a loog shot.
    stocks, mcmillian by a looong shot.
    barrels, first, benchchmark second, all others
    scope, first, leupold second 3 others
    gunsmith, gene davis and bill calfee by another long shot
    ammo, all shot eley. lapua was conspicuious by it's absence.

now, my question is,, where were the 52's??? always thought the 52's squared up nicly and were very accurate??

thanks and ..ttfn..grampa..

PS... not one 'as issued' barrel, stock or trigger in the bunch.

Turbo is the perfect 52. Initial cost of the action and collector value of the 52 plus the trigger may be pricey if it is not the "good" trigger.

Disagree

Don:
    It's not the perfect 52.

Petrea(Ohio 124) On Salt Crick in SE Ohio

Thumbs up Perfect RF Action

Kind Sir::
    What would you call the perfect RF Action ?
    The 40X has come on strong last few years. It isn't the beat looking...for sure.

I was not invited, nor should I have been. But I have shot a single IBS target 250 with my Win 52D scoped and more than a few 250's using irons with it. It is stock except for a front sled attached to the fore end and a well tuned trigger.

Yesterday I picked up a used Anschutz 1411, cleaned it up a bit and mounted a scope on her. First IBS target (and only target so far) was a 250 x 16X. No way I'd ever try to compete among the custom rifles with my stock 52. Would not have a chance unless all the stars and planets were aligned just for me. I'd have a better chance of winning the lottery. bob finger

hummmm,

always thought God loved winchesters and thats why he invented 52's..

maybe it's time to build a 52 with an 8" bbl and a 16"blooptube..

..ttfn..grampa..

Grampa,I always liked 52's I have had all of them at one time or another pre-a,a,b,c,d and a E I have seen some great ones but I have never been lucky enough to own a great one but I still like them alot. Im kinda partial to the 40x. Hold Center Jerry

I've built two 52d's from parts. One I shoot all summer at 50 and 100 yards with irons. I've won a lot with that rifle.

The other one started out as a barreled action from CMP. It appeared un-fired. Fred J donated a beat-up stock that now looks nicer than new, (thanks Fred) and a gunsmith made me a trigger guard. I can't remember his name but he is on here sometimes. I am still working with this rifle to compete at 50 yards and it seems to get better every time out. The inside of the barrel has alot of reamer marks on top of the lands which are smoothing out. Occasionally I shoot a box of CCI mini mags to speed up the break in process.

52's? I love em.
    Dale

Still have

I shoot one BR, one Ironsites 100 Offhand and one I can't lift, in the safe. Just rebarreled the one I shoot BR, and i'm in the process of tuning it. Will have it at the barn for the Winter Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    I shoot one BR, one Ironsites 100 Offhand and one I can't lift, in the safe. Just rebarreled the one I shoot BR, and i'm in the process of tuning it. Will have it at the barn for the Winter Nationals.
    Fred when you are tuning it for the barn hang a chicken bone on it that away them darn chicken ghosts will leave you alone Jerry

You going

????????

Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by JLG. View Post
    Fred when you are tuning it for the barn hang a chicken bone on it that away them darn chicken ghosts will leave you alone Jerry
    Jerry, That sure is going to look funny with a chicken bone hanging on the end of a "parallel noodle".

Just make chicken noodle soup. Look forward to seeing you guys down there I'll have to choose betwween the 37,Suhl, or 54 Annie though. My 52 just won't keep up with those three
    Don

Fred Im going to try it going to depend on work?????

greetings,

the last couple of 52's i picked up had the over travel set too tite. this seems to be a common ocurrance on almost any rifle with this adjustment... back the o.t. off a tad and they shoot better.

or am i doing something wrong by wanting just a little 'pull thru' ??

tia and ..ttfn..grampa..