Thread: Firing pin diameter

Firing pin diameter

Gentlemen,

I just purchased an aftermarket, speedlock firing pin for a short action, push feed Model 70. Upon examination, I noted that the firing pin tip was .081 in diameter. That seems a bit large to me. The reference that I have calls for .075 max diameter in higher pressure cartridges (it's a .22BR). What do you guys think? Too big? Turn it down? Leave it alone? I will be bushing the firing pin hole, fyi.

As always, thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Justin
    Last edited by Zebra13; 11-07-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: uhhh...

justin:
    I use .060 as the pin dia.

Clarence

Quote Originally Posted by cdupuy View Post
    justin:
    I use .060 as the pin dia.

Clarence

Clarence,

That is the diameter range I hear bandied about the most, hence my concern of the .081 diameter.

Thanks,
    Justin

Some replacement pins such as Holland's come oversize so you may fit them to your bolt pin bore. That may be why yours came so large. If you are going to bush your bolt it seems .060 is the preferred size these days.

On a hunting rifle it won't matter.

If you decide to make it smaller, don't turn it down, accurately grind it down a thou smaller than your bushed hole.

Bushing material

Gentlemen,

What are you guys using for bushing material?

Justin

I used 4140, had some 1/4" diameter rod. Bushing was 1/8 o.d., 1/8 long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay, Idaho View Post
    I used 4140, had some 1/4" diameter rod. Bushing was 1/8 o.d., 1/8 long.

Jay,

Was it heat treated, and if so, to what hardness? The only thing I have laying around right now is drill rod. Could that be used?

Thanks,
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra13 View Post
    Jay,

Was it heat treated, and if so, to what hardness? The only thing I have laying around right now is drill rod. Could that be used?

Thanks,
    Justin
    It was pre-hard 4140 from Aircraft Spruce or Nolan Metals. I'd use drill rod but would not hear treat it. I see no reason that it needs to be hard. It supports the primer cup, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay, Idaho View Post
    It was pre-hard 4140 from Aircraft Spruce or Nolan Metals. I'd use drill rod but would not hear treat it. I see no reason that it needs to be hard. It supports the primer cup, that is all.
    Jay,

I was going to bush the bolt a la Borden, which has the bushing extending out beyond the primer cup, so I'm a little concerned about the hardness. I could just order some pre-hardened 4140 and be done with it, but I was trying to find something available locally, or that I already have. Would a Grade 8 bolt, machined to make a bushing, be suitable?

I was looking at an Aircraft Spruce catalog for the first time yesterday...all kinds of goodies in there!

Thanks,
    Justin