Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Brakes and noise reduction - is it real

Muzzle Brakes and noise reduction - is it real

Are there actually brakes that reduce, or NOT increase noise for the shooter?

Energy Dispacement

Muzzle Brakes work by directing the energy, (and sound), that normally goes out the front, to the sides. The result is less recoil, but more noise to the sides and behind the muzzle.

I guess some smart fellow has figured out a way to baffle that noise. I would have to hear it to believe it.........jackie

Yup.

They're called silencers, attenuators, cans or suppressors and thanks to a retarded American populace we can't have them.

al

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Hence, recoil. Muzzle brakes redirect muzzle blast radially to the sides, changing the physics equation. When the expanding gases are redirected outward to the sides rather than downrange, the equal and opposite reaction is no longer directly to the rear. Unfortunately, that redirected muzzle blast is far more noticeable. In other words, it is a lot louder.
    Regards,
    Sam Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Yup.

They're called silencers, attenuators, cans or suppressors and thanks to a retarded American populace we can't have them.

al
    Al is correct. Suppressors are some of the MOST efficient muzzle brakes there are.

Yup.

al
    yes you are correct BUT here in Arkansas you can have them and i belive in most states you can use them you just need the federal permit to own them altho there are places that have them completely outlawed

Sound Suppressors

In most states (34), you can legally own a sound suppressor by paying a one time $200 transfer tax and submitting the proper federal paperwork. I have one on a Ruger 77/44 rifle in 44 magnum and there is less recoil than a 22 ! It is quieter than my .177 air rifle. I load my 44 magnums to stay below 1100 fps to keep from producing a supersonic crack, but even with supersonic loads above 1100 fps the sound is considerably less than a non suppressed rifle. Shooting my suppressed 308 even with supersonic loads, I don't have to wear ear protection. I love the look on peoples faces at our range when I hand them my 44 magnum and have them shoot the 100 yard steel gongs. The rifle is barely audible and when the 250 gr bullet hits the gongs, you know it. I want to warn you now, if you ever shoot a suppressed gun, you will be hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by rick983 View Post
    In most states (34), you can legally own a sound suppressor by paying a one time $200 transfer tax and submitting the proper federal paperwork....
    Is that $200 per gun?

On regular muzzle brakes there are the types that are called quiet brakes. The difference is that they are ported forward at an angle, instead of straight to the sides or angled to the rear.
    I installed a quiet brake on a barrel the other day and took it to the range to test it.
    It is still louder than an unbraked muzzle. I unscrewed it and shot the same barrel with and without it. I did not shoot it without hearing protection, but they do market them for hunters.

I did shoot a Encore 30/06 handgun with a rear angle ported brake once without hearing protection, it was a mistake I hope to never make again.

Personally I would choose a caliber that I could shoot without a brake for hunting purposes.
    They also have the closable brakes that allow you to practice with a brake and turn it off to hunt.
    Kim

Yes Kim, you are right on. I think a solid 260 Rem will fit the bill. Low recoil, accurate, great for hogs and deer with a 140 core-lokt.

Suppressor reply

AVanGorder, you asked about the $200 fee for ownership of a silencer. It is a one time fee for a specific suppressor. Suppressors are considered class 3 weapons just like machine guns. States that allow suppressors also allow the private ownership of full automatic machine guns with the proper paperwork and of course, the $200 fee. Because of the expense, many people such as myself opt for threaded suppressors that can be used on several different guns of the same caliber. For instance, I have a Gemtech Outback suppresser made for the 22 rimfire. I have two pistols and a Ruger 10/22 rifle that it fits. You merely unscrew it from one and put it on the other gun to change from pistol to rifle or vice versa. For more info on suppressors, I would highly recommend you google Silencer Talk, it has many online forums that will help with any questions you might have. For videos showing suppressors in action, I suggest you go to youtube.com and type in suppressor in the search box. Hundreds of videos will come up showing guys and their toys. Good Luck.
    Last edited by rick983; 10-01-2008 at 11:27 AM.

Yup.

al
    Excellent way to put it al, 2 thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by AVanGorder View Post
    Is that $200 per gun?
    In the US it is a $200 transfer fee each time ownership of the suppressor is transferred.

We are not allowed suppressors in Canada, period. Any device that attaches and would lessen the sound is totally prohibited.

Some brakes are quieter than others but it you are close to anything that would reflect the sound, you will really notice it. No one should be shooting without protection anyway...

Rick983

silencer.com is a security website and has nothing to do with suppresors

My mistake. Try googling Silencer Talk and that will put you there.