Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bench Rest Pistols

Bench Rest Pistols

Howdy ,
    I was looking for a little more info ,so moved this thread here..After a recent thread about Encores and Bench Rest,I am wondering..How many of you have built ,bought ,shot these Specialty Pistols in bench Rest .Most all where bolt guns ,very refined ...I know back in the 80's or so,there was a movement to get these Pistols involved in the Bench Rest Main Stream.Although mostly 22 Rim Fire, Center Fire definitely had a following also. This didn't seem to last very long but I do know alot of guns were built and still exist .I would be very interested in hearing about this time , Who did what , who made these guns , Pictures of course and the history and performance of these .I really love these Specialty Pistols .

thanks

Ah, you need to read here: http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/e...m/f/3826077864

There are many stocks and etc available for building custom bench pistols. I am getting ready to build one for deer season on a Savage action.

This photo inspired the stock design I will use:

I have four of them an one hog gun ( 35 Rem ). If Dick Wright would let me use them at Harrison I would!! All XP's with custom barrels an stocks! Great pistols!!

Jeff Aberegg

isn't making a pistol out of a rifle action a little bit illegal

I have 2 both XP actioned built in the mid 70s .1 is a 6.5x47 (6.5-222mag) the other is a 6.5 IHMSA.They were built in the Las Cruses ?(sp)N.M area they still have their original custom barrels on and still shoot sub moa. These were built for Sil. shooting though not BR.
    Last edited by Roger T; 09-09-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Howdy

Howdy ,
    The use of rifle actions ,for pistols ... something that is or has been built as a rifle is illegal .You can't buy a rifle and cut it down to a pistol . The Savage Target actions ,when bought new are undesignated , and when purchased from the supplier , can be designated at that time as a rifle or pistol . now if that action is bought as a pistol but built into a rifle , it stays as a rifle....To my understanding this is what the ATF says , now the law is broad ,and its my understanding the Agents , have a wide latitude on the judgement... save all the receits and boxs..

thanks
    Last edited by Vince; 09-09-2008 at 08:17 PM.

I thought you guys were talking about Benchrest Pistols as in Competition Pistols. A few years back there was an attempt to start a benchrest pistol catagory.These guns were built on custom BR actions andshotvery nearly as well as the rifles. Kelbleys prodduced a dedicated pistol action called a "CUB".Most of the ones I saw were chambered in 6PPC and shot very well. and then we heard nothing more.I felt it never caught on or got side tracked in some manner.I still have the pistol but it is on loan to the PD shooters. I always thought it was a hoot.

Mike Swartz

Mike

If I remember correctly, those things were just about single handidly pushed by the editor of the defunct Shooters News Magazine. There was a movement to have registered competition, just like the Rifles. It sort of died when that Magazine went under.

I can remember the write ups. I recall that aggs hovered in the threes, but some shooters shot some great groups.
    I think most shooters looked at these as sort of a novelty. But you are right, they were a hoot........jackie

Xp-100

I built a custom XP in 30-338 Win Mag. It is very comfortable to shoot as long as you wear hearing protection. It has a 16.5" stainless match barrel that is 18" overall including the muzzle brake. I shoot a load consisting of 76.0grains of W760 behind a 125 gr ballistic tip. This load runs 3400 fps, and groups 2" at 500 yards. I have taken a lot of deer with this handgun out to 500 yards, and always with one shot. There is a write up on this gun along with a few other projects of mine in the Gun Digest 2000 on page 138.

Michael

excellent

Guys ,
    Pictures would be great if ya can ....and Yes , I am talking the Bench Rest Pistols ...I am wanting to play in the 100 yd ,local matches but also am starting to shoot in the 1000 yd local also ...

Thanks
    Last edited by Vince; 09-09-2008 at 10:05 PM.

The pistol isn't mine, I just took the picture.

Vince,
    I posted these picks on the other thread. Why don't you copy some text about the history form the other thread. Here are pics of mine. It is Based on a Kelbly Cub Action, Kelbly Stock, Jewell Trigger. I use a variable 6x24 B&L to bust varmits and a 36x Leupold for targets. If a person thinks a rifle is picky about setup and bench technique....they need to give one of these a spin. Like everyone else says...it's a real hoot to shoot and I take it to the local matches every now and then.

Hovis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1579 web small.JPG 
Views:	864 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	6350   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1580 web small.JPG 
Views:	762 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	6351  
    Last edited by HovisKM; 09-10-2008 at 07:32 AM.

I just bought a Wichita pistol, and while searching came across this:

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/e...4/m/3481098755

Jim

Vince,
    A few years back..or several. When John Gammuto (SP?) ran Shooters News, he started/sponsored (I don't know who else was involved), a long-range pistol BR championships for two years. There was a lot of interest and one of the shoots was piggie backed on the SuperShoot. The format and rules were updated/changed between the two years and was shot at 100 and 200 yds. When Shooters News folded, so did the pistols. A lot of them (like mine) were built and Kelbly's even built a Panda verision call the CUB. I really love shooting these pistol and shoot one every now and then at the local matches I attend. I have a couple of rifles to try out at the locals and then I'm dusting the old pistol off and shooting it again.

P.S. If someone has better or more correct info than I posted please correct me. I have the Shooters News Mags at home that cover these but I winging this off of memory.

Hovis